AuthorMessage
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyFri 06 May 2016, 3:05 am

So sorry to hear that, Tds

Hope you have hears from your surgeon by now!

If not, perhaps someone can take you to Emergency Department at your hospital.

Also, you have to get through to the surgeon. Tell receptionist it is Urgent!!! No ifs or buts.
If you are unable to do so, because you are so unwell, perhaps your husband, relative or friend can make this call, and Keep Calling!

Best wishes to you
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female
Number of posts : 46

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyThu 05 May 2016, 9:55 am

I rang the surgeons office in tears today - I am so nauseated and can't take it anymore. I can't even drink water without feeling like I am going to spew now. I am feeling so weak and even getting dressed takes it out of me. I was at work today in a meeting and my boss looked at me and said "You look terrible go home".  

The receptionist said "Oh it sounds like your sleeve could be too tight, I will get the surgeon to ring you back!" Waited all day and of course no call.

What happens if your sleeve is too tight? What can they do about it?

I had a clear broth for dinner and feel a bit better but I think it is far from over. :(
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 04 May 2016, 1:55 pm

Great News!

Yes, slowly, slowly
and moist and sloppy, and runny, purees. 

Baby stomach needs baby food, before it can cope with drier, more solid foods.

Great that you have ginger tea, and loving it!

Hopefully it will get better and better for you, just give it time.
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 04 May 2016, 10:42 am

Thanks for the encouragement - I was so bleak today cause I have had a shocker for the last three days. I have decided to dial it down - I think the puree I was eating wasn't sloppy enough. So now I am on yoghurt and will even get a protein shake down my throat if I have to - slowly slowly is what I am leabing with this.

I am loving Ginger and lemon tea and it does help. (I am not a tea drinker but loving Ginger tea right now)

I am glad your nausea has settled down now.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 04 May 2016, 10:04 am

Hiya girl, Toddsinoz,

Hope you are feeling better soon!

My nausea has settled down. I had an old Stemetil box at home, and took 1 tablet when I felt badly nauseous, and it helped.
I also developed taste for black tea again, at the same time. I love my Madura Premium Blend leaf tea. Have been making teapots of it ever since.
Ginger tea also helped.

I thought that my change over to more solid type foods caused the reflux and nausea. I may have eaten too fast, and forgot to chew food to death ....
So, nowadays, I still eat mainly soft food, with lots of sauce or chicken stock, and only spinach and very soft cauliflower for vegetables.

My chicken and turkey mince, I make sure they are not dry, and I now chew so much, that my 1/2 cup of food gets cold by the time I finish it ...

Still, I'd rather have cooler food than reflux or nausea.

I am not in a hurry to eat solid food, as my stomach is obviously still healing itself.

Nexium 40mg is really helping me with the reflux.

Yes, these attacks are annoying and disappointing, for sure.
I would go with your surgeon's advice, and try the broths for a while, then perhaps creamier type soups, then gradually very runny purees ....

If nausea is really bad, perhaps you can get some Maxolon, Stemetil or whatever else is there, but you will need a script for those meds.

Flat lemonade can help also, plus Hydralyte to keep you hydrated.

I had to really rest on those days, and was really cranky.

I believe that with time, the stomach will be completely healed. Until then, it lets us know if it is not ready for certain foods, and reminds us to eat/drink slowly and to chew well.

I also used to add Vaalia Natural yoghurt (very runny) to my soups or purees.

Good luck, and wishing you quick recovery!!!

Let me know how you go, please

Recovery After Op 217555

Margo
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 04 May 2016, 6:03 am

krakow57 wrote:
I had a couple of days with really bad acid reflux and nausea. It was horrible.
Better today, so far.

Hi Krakow57

How is the Nausea going? I am struggling with it! I have moved on from liquids to puree and I want to throw up everytime I eat! I am taking Nexium which does help! I rang the Surgeon cause I actually threw up on Monday and I was advised to go back to broths until my stomach settles! (I don't have a temperature or lumps or redness around the incisions so it was decided I don't have an infection) but I can't take the Nausea!  

What makes you feel better? I feel like I am over this op now :(
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyMon 25 Apr 2016, 8:16 am

I will have a look at the shops tomorrow or will go online to Order the Protein Powder.

The family went out for lunch today - Fish and Chips after a swim at the beach. I was starving and had no shakes with me as we didn't anticipate being out that long. I had a teaspoon of the fish white (none of the coating or chips) and chewed it into a pulp and swallowed it - OH MY GOSH did I have spams as it went down - man I thought I was going to die it was so sore.

I don't mind eating heaps less but I am gagging to get off the shakes now - I am so over them - 4 days to go and then I have my appointment where I move onto the next phase.

On the upside I am able to drink water a lot better with out that spasm feeling so it is coming along slowly.

ON THE PLUS I am 6.4kgs down in a week - So thrilled.

Glad to hear the reflux is getting better. Thank goodness I am no longer spewey cause geez that was awful.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptySun 24 Apr 2016, 12:41 am

Great idea to pay attention what is not working for us, and what does work.

I now use Premium Whey Protein Powder (Pure Produce Australia). Unflavoured.
 It has 27 g protein in it. 
I order it on eBay, 1 kg bag approx $24.
My dietician suggested Whey Protein powders.

All other protein powders were in massive containers at $90 + .... the gym body building ones, at chemists or eBay also

I found one protein powder for Women at a chemist, it had 17 g protein, was in a smaller container, and sold for about $24 too.

I still have loads of Sustagen left ..... 13 g protein in it.

As for broth, I just use the regular Oxo Chicken powder. 

I call Vaalia natural yoghurt, (or any other Vaalia flavour) a Runny yoghurt, as it is very runny, and I was adding it to my soups, blending it really well.

It comes in round containers, I think 1 litre.

I had a couple of days with really bad acid reflux and nausea. It was horrible.
Better today, so far.
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptySat 23 Apr 2016, 7:55 am

Ok so I found what was making my tummy gurgle - which I have been mistaking for hunger. I HATE water so I have been drinking a VERY week water with a dash of lemon cordial - this was making my tummy gurgle and rumble and acid (DUH what was I thinking). It was the only way I could get water down.

Last night I had a small glass of Milk (lite) and had the runs again so am now on plain water. I have felt less acid/gurgle in the stomach today - So I am my own worst enemy!

I had a thick Veg Soup today which I strained and thinned with water. I will go to the chemist and get Protein - what is it called? I want the one mentioned below that is a tasteless powder - then I can add it to anything.

I also googled high protein broth and the Pete Evans Paileo Bone Broth comes up over and over again - so I have a pot on the go and then I will add vegies - which I will strain at the end. Worth a try.

OK stupid question - I haven't seen drinking yoghurt - but then I have never looked for it - all I have seen is tubs and pots of yoghurt (Ok in fairness I am not from here) Does it come in a Litre bottle or are you referring to the squeezy pouches?

I am loving ginger and lemon tea. I made some Lite Jelly but I think it is too cold - as I mentioned I tolerate warm over cold - so it is not great. 

One thing I have come to realise is how much food was a go to for me. Today I said to my husband I am bored, let's go for lunch - and then I remember. Then the kids asked to go for Thai tonight. Our lives used to revolve arund food and meals - this has been such an eye opener for me.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptySat 23 Apr 2016, 12:07 am

I had soups, creamy ones with no bits, and mainly canned soups from the supermarket.

Creamy pumpkin, creamy asparagus (I had to strain the bits), creamy mushroom, creamy tomato ..... I really liked those soups.

I added bit of runny Vaalia natural yoghurt to the soups. I was allowed yoghurt in my liquid phase.

I was adding protein powder to my drinks.

Unflavoured protein powder so I could add it to both juices and soups.

I loved the V8 and tomato juices, I was adding runny yoghurt to them, but due to my acid reflux after drinking them, I had to stop drinking them .....

As TamF said, call your dietician, add protein powder.
 I was given my 2 weekly instructions at every food phase change.

Are you on clear fluids only (apart from the shakes) ? Broth is not filling. Creamy soups are much better, if you are allowed this.

As for me, I had bad reflux yesterday with headaches and bit of nausea. Didn't do much.
I am still acidy today, little better though, thank you for asking.

I am seeing my surgeon next week, I will ask re different anti-reflux med

Hope you are feeling better and please let go of heavy activity for now.
Back to top Go down
TamF

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-01-05

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyFri 22 Apr 2016, 6:05 am

Perhaps you should call your nutritionist and tell them how you're going?  Thursday is an awfully long wait if you're doing poorly...

I was allowed to have drinking yoghurt as soon as I was on free fluids, and I was also put on a protein supplement to add to my drinks.  You can buy protein to add to your broth from the pharmacy.
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyFri 22 Apr 2016, 5:23 am

Hi there 

I am having a better day today - had a shocker yesterday. I was feeling so good that I did 5 loads of washing (Didn't lift the baskets - I did 50 trips to the machine and line) and went to do a few groceries - I came home was was just about in tears I was in so much pain (in the drain site esp.) I have this inability to relax. 

Today I sent the kids to a friend and spent the entire day in bed and feel so much better for it. 

I need some advise please....
I don't think I am getting enough nutrition/protien - I can only tolerate about 90ml of Optislim - I am SO SICK of shakes I want to spew when I swallow it so I am limiting it to breakfast only. I have broth for lunch and dinner. I have been feeling (lack of food) shakey,weak and irritable. I mentioned it to my husband and he gave me a teaspoon of Liver Pate - I licked it till it was finished not wanting to gulp it down. I felt SO human afterwards. I had so much more energy and a personality. It made me realise that I am probably lacking in protein(?) big time. (Although it gave me the runs like I have never - sorry for the overshare) 

What can I have?  Any advise? Today is week 1 so I know I can't eat but did you guys find a food that made you feel better? When are you allow yoghurt? I have my appointment next Thursday so guess I will then move onto the next level them. I am just so worried about getting the runs when I do start eating.

Krakow57 - I hope you took it easy today!
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 20 Apr 2016, 7:42 am

Hi Ts,

Yes, tiredness is very normal to experience. Rest, and rest .
And yes, with little food and post major surgery, the tiredness forces our bodies to rest and recoup.

Can your surgeon or doctor prescribe you Pariet? It is a very small and slippery tablet, very easy to take. Another type of PPI for acid reflux.

I am surprised that you did not receive any post op instructions and warnings what to watch out for ....

Main things are: leaks, clots, infection, shock etc

And also to watch out for Dehydration, as this can mimic shock a bit.

My blood pressure went really low post op for a while, then it normalised.

The feeling of heat could be due to exertion, but if you get hot, sore, itchy, temperature high with not going down, this normally signifies infection. Plus rigid abdomen, this would necessitate fast visit to Emergency.

Since you did not have the leak test done, I suggest you find out what are the signs and symptoms of it. Leaks require Emergency treatment ASAP!

So, the feeling of heat and temperature go away in your case, that's great.

Check your hydration levels, please and perhaps get a bottle or powder of Hydralyte to combat the dehydration in the early days.

If you are concerned about anything, please call your surgeon or his team.

I had to walk around and be on my feet today for 2 hours and my legs are killing me ....

I am so glad to sit down now.

Good luck, and keep recovering well!

Margo
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 20 Apr 2016, 2:21 am

Thanks everyone!

I feel better each day but get tired easily - BUT then again not eating will do that to you :)

I got discharged with Nexium for stomach acid but it is a rather large pill - I am not taking it as it is so big and I am too scared.

Dr didn't say what to watch out for given I was not given the leak scan but he was so confident that it all went well. I do find if I am up too long I start feeling hot and sweaty like I am getting a temperature but as soon as I lie down it goes away.

Thanks again for checking in
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyMon 18 Apr 2016, 12:53 pm

Congratulations Toddsinoz,

You made it!

So sorry to hear re your waking up in theatre, gagging with the endotracheal tube ....
that must have been scary and tough!
And then 5 more hours in recovery, not only still gagging, but having BP fluctuating as well .... Gosh, I am so glad it is all over for you now!

So you got the massive drain as well .... yes, it was a surprise for me, and yes, when it got finally taken out, I thought it would never end coming out ....
It seemed to go right up, near my upper rib ....
Seemed to be over a metre long!

My water was not cold, just room temperature. I read somewhere that really cold water is not recommended for a while post op.
Even at room temperature, I felt it going down my oesophagus, and it was a bit painful.

This has now been well settled for me. I can also now, 6 weeks post op drink cold water or a cold drink without any unpleasant reactions.

This will settle down for you as well. 

I found out and was advised to refrain from extreme temperatures in my liquids at the beginning.

I was hungry too, both pre-op, as I had a late admission, and later on, on the second day, and after.
I don't believe that this hunger was a bad habit. Just that my body was still in shock post op, and I have low blood sugar level issues, so with not being able to eat/drink anything for a while, my body reacted with hunger.

Yes, the warm broth was heaven!

I too was sent home with Zofran wafers, Endone, Pariet (for reflux) and Buscopan for any stomach pain or upsets. Plus a boxful of Panadol capsules.

Once home, I had to give myself Clexine subcutaneous injections for 5-7 days post op, as a prevention for any clots.

Being ex nurse, it was easy for me, as I used to give myself intra-muscular injections in the past.

So, you are now sleeved! Well done!

It gets better each day. 

Best wishes with your recovery, one day at a time ......     :)
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyMon 18 Apr 2016, 12:00 pm

No leak test here, either.  

I felt "hunger" a bit post op - I think it was the start of acid reflux for me though, just me interpreting it as hunger.  It got better with nexium, and even better when I started on solids.   Not ravenous hunger - just a low level I need to eat hunger.  
Hang in there and keep your fluids up.
Back to top Go down
TamF

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-01-05

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyMon 18 Apr 2016, 11:31 am

Congratulations toddsinoz - the surgery is done now and it's onwards and upwards from here!  You should start feeling better every day now.  How are you tolerating sweet/savoury?

I didn't experience hunger after the surgery, so can't really comment - I wanted nothing to eat or drink, and only started because the nurses threatened to keep me in hospital for as many days as it took to take in some fluid, ha!  I remember feeling very full after 2 - 3 tablespoons of broth though.  You'll be able to tolerate more as the swelling goes down.

Have you been discharged yet?  Did your surgeon tell you what to look out for to indicate that you may need to get checked out (as you didn't get a swallow test)?
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyMon 18 Apr 2016, 11:01 am

Oh and I didn't have to do that swallow test/scan? Surgeon said he felt it wasn't necessary? I kinda thought it was mandatory before you were sent home? Oh Well one less bill to pay :)
And all medication is liquid form - no tablets. I was given Endone, something to reduce stomach acid and Zofran for gagging - which happens quiet easily.
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: I am now post op    Recovery After Op EmptyMon 18 Apr 2016, 10:59 am

Hi Krakow57,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I got out today.

Went in Friday and was first up at 7.30am. Dr said I looked pale and asked if I was ok? I got this paniced feeling like what am I doing - Mine is a self inflicted op not a life saving op and I don;t mess with fate. So I got really stressed out but they calmed me down. (I wasn't scared of the pain as I normally cope well with pain) Anyway so at the end of the op while I was still in theatre I Woke up with a tube down my throat gagging. Was in post op for almost 5 hours cause apparently they couldn't stabilize my blood pressure and I gagged the entire time (My BIGGEST FEAR AND IT HAPPENED).

Friday I was so out of it and when I was awake I was gagging and crying for anti-gag meds.

I had the drain like you and it was MAHOOSIVE! It was actually fine and thank goodness you had told me about it so I knew what I was in for. It was a revolting feeling when they took it out today. It was actually not so bad but I kept getting cramps in the drain site when I tried to walk. But when she took it out she seemed to pull and pull and pull. It felt like for ever to come out.

Pain wise I was OK I hardly used the PCA - which was a good thing because I had three cannula's cause they couldn't find a vein. My hand and both my arms doubled in size so they had to take it out last night.

I am struggling with water - HOWEVER I do find if I drink it at room temperature and not sitting in bed it goes down much easier. When it is fridge cold I feel like my oesophagus spams and it is so painful. I found I was REALLY hungry going into the op and after the op - Surgeon says it is my bad habits and my head playing tricks on me but I swear I am hungry!?!? but as soon as I have broth I am so full - after 5 tablespoons.

I must admit day 1 and 2 I was like what the hell have I done and today I am quiet tender where the drain came out. I know as each day goes I will feel better and it will be the best thing I have ever done...or as my husband says...No going back now.

So I am now sleeved - Never thought this day would come. :)
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptySun 17 Apr 2016, 1:50 am

Toddsinoz,

Just to let you know I have been thinking of you.

Hope your op went well on Friday.

Hope you are well, and recovering.

All the Best !!!

Recovery After Op 65317
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 13 Apr 2016, 3:47 pm

Yes, there must be variations on what is allowed post op, med wise.

I was sent home with boxful of Panadol capsules, as well as small tablets of Endone for pain relief.
Never had issues with medical capsules, or small tablets even. This includes my Thyroxine also.

With vitamins though, only B12 spray, and chewable/dissolving BN Multi was/is allowed for me.

Each surgeon have their own guidelines to follow, as I read up on the forum.
Same with surgical procedures, such as drain tube or no drain tube.

There must have been something in me that required drainage.

I forgot to ask for the reason .....
I'll ask at the next follow up.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 13 Apr 2016, 2:10 pm

I had no drain when I had my surgery.

Interesting comment re taking capsules. I was told strictly no capsules for 6 weeks and because I needed antibiotics I had to empty the contents into yoghurt and take it that way (there is a reason the meds are in capsules cause they taste horrible LOL)

But I could take other tablets, just not coated ones. I broke the bigger ones in half.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 13 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm

Very welcome!

Your husband has a very good point.

:)
Back to top Go down
Toddsinoz

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 13 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

I am so glad you are feeling well these days.

I think you hit the nail on the head - i am over thinking it. I keep feeling that because it is not a life threatening op - a self induced one - am I doing the right thing and of course the "What if's" but like my husband says... well What If you don't have the op - on going back problems, high Cholestrol, health risks etc...

I am sure I will look back next week and offer the same advise you are and help someone else going through the exact thing.

Thanks for your replies it has been so helpful.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op EmptyWed 13 Apr 2016, 11:21 am

Trying to send again ....

Go girl!    :)

Whatever you decide, is fine.

I had many surgeries in the past, and I was not scared, only looked forward to the results.

WLS is the only one I was afraid of, especially few days prior.
I was overthinking it, worried about all sorts of things, and the worst part was thinking about it.

I was fine!

Being nervous is normal, as it is a big step to take.

Now, it is one day at a time for me, getting better and better.

Even with my recent hunger, I realised that I was still eating more pureed food, too watery, than soft.
Today, I had my portion of minced chicken with sauce, it was nice and dense, and I am no longer so hungry.

So, all the best to you, Toddsinoz.

I also was excited as well as scared.

I had to wait 8-9 months for my surgery due to my Thyroid issues.

Now, I am starting to be happy again.

Fingers crossed for you    :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recovery After Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery After Op   Recovery After Op Empty

Back to top Go down

Recovery After Op
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: