Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..

Go down 
+3
gottarhyme
melpaulned
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lisagraham
lisagraham

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyWed 21 Sep 2011, 2:28 am

Kate,

It definately does change. I was and now am the same as your mum. I loved sweet things before my surgery and now love quality food not quantity.

You have to go into this surgery with a positive outlook. The Sleeve is the best tool that I have found to help me in my weight loss struggle. Dont stress about if it will wont, tell yourself that it will.

Good luck for your 2 weeks on Opti and your Op. And most of all try to enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyTue 20 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

Janette, thank you so much for your detailed reply in regards to what I can eat on Opti, I used your response as my shopping list this evening.

lisagraham - from what I can gather most people who have been sleeved (including my Mum) say that after surgery they feel as though food is different to them. My Mum said today that she now appreciates good quality food as compared to junk food. My Mum used to be a serious chocoholic. Two weeks tomorrow and I will be sleeved. At the moment im stressing and worrying that this wont work for me, its hard to imagine not craving food or wanting to stuff yourself. I guess after you start to lose weight your mind set would change in regards to food choices. At the moment the fat me is confused and anxious that I will be able to help myself to make the right choices.

Jag - thanks for your reply. Have been thinking of you today and I hope that your surgery has gone well x
Back to top Go down
lisagraham
lisagraham

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyTue 20 Sep 2011, 1:58 am

Kate + Mum,

If you think that you are not going to have to work at loosing weight after your Sleeve then you are wrong. The Sleeve Op is a "TOOL" to help you loose weight. You still have to make sure that you eat the right foods. Ie: Protein first and then Veg. As for the exercise, it help's tone the body whilst you are loosing the weight.

As for the Optifast, I found the coffee flavour shake was the nicest. However I did cheat and mix it with 400mls of low fat milk instead of 200ml of water. I still have this every morning for breakfast. (It's just like having an iced coffee every morning!)

Good Luck with sticking to it. Always remember it is the start of the new you!!
Back to top Go down
Jag
Jag

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyTue 20 Sep 2011, 1:20 am

Hi,

honestly I found Optifast ok.Janette(below)has it all sorted.I did the same as her and quite enjoyed the vege creations.The best thing was i didnt have to think about what I had to prepare.Just got out my sachet,so easy.Lost 8kg and am now waiting for my ride to the hospital for my sleeve.

Stick to the optifast as it was fun to see that weight drop!!
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

Thank goodness for this forum. I wouldnt be getting by without it. You guys are awesome xx
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought all I could have was broccoli and cauliflower plus Optifast products. So glad that I asked! Definately will make it easier for me.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

In addition to the Optifast you may also eat other foods that have no energy such as: Diet jelly, strained broth and diet soft drinks or cordial. You can also include 2 cups of vegetables from the list below. These vegetables only have small amounts of energy, and you can have them raw, or steamed. Do not add oil, butter or margarine to them; however you may include vinegar, lemon, lime, herbs and other spices for flavouring.

Your vegetables: Asparagus, Cauliflower, Celery, Beans, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Silver Beet, Beetroot, Eggplant, Snow peas, Bok Choy, Lettuce, Spinach, Broccoli, Leeks, Squash, Brussel Sprouts, Alphalfa, Sprouts, Mung Beans, Tomato, Cabbage, Mushrooms, Watercress, Capsicum, Zucchini, Carrots, Onion, Shallots, Radish.

I made a tossed salad with free italian dressing which I had at lunch time, then I made a huge pot of soup out of lots of the vegies to have at night.
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

i lived on eggplant and mushrooms, and ratalouli, or the like it was hard but i did it for 4 months,

go read my diary, Biggest Guy Here
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Hi Kate!

I did Optfast for two weeks...Yes it IS HARD, however, bright side, only two weeks!

I lost 6KG in two weeks eating a big bowl of steamed veggies ANYTHING I FELT LIKE (except potato) every night.

I actually ate, brocoli, Cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, boc choi, squash, zucchini, bean shoots mushrooms, onion, garlic, sweet potato, pumpkin, (small bits only for taste!) peas, beans, in fact, any thing!

However, my little 'cheat' was this, and I STILL lost 6kg!

I chose to STIR FRY my veg instead of steaming, in 1 tsp of oil, OR spray, and a tablespoon of AYAMS asian stir fry sauce. (Black Bean, sweet and sour, chilli, honey/soy etc) I would do a different one each night, and it stopped me from climbing the walls!

Oh, and you can add crushed ice to opti and blend it like a thick shake, or freeze it and blend it.

The strawberry Opti is nice if you add one or two real strawberries and crushed ice.

;)
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 10:52 am

HI mate

Optivom sux that's for sure LOL I suggest you read diarys and check out how people got through it - i have a very detailed blog with probably too much swearing

Vegies just use your common sense - no carby stuff like potato, pumpkin, corn, peas (nothing good in other words)

My friend chargrilled eggplant and capsicum and they were divine!

In the end i was baking onions (and basically cooking them til the were almost black) they looked gross but paired with tomato and balsamic vinegar they were divine and gave me the 'crunch factor'

Please stick with it, it's only a few weeks out of your life and it's going to give you the best result for the op. I was too scared to cheat i figured if i had a leak and i had cheated i would never forgive myself.

Count the days down, at the end of each day i figured that was one day less i had to touch the shit ever again!

xxx

Mel

PS Feel free to PM me anytime!
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 10:43 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help me, I know that when on Optifast you are allowed to have some steamed vegies.. is there anything else. Also what vegies are we able to have? Really really not looking forward to starting Optipuke, very worried how I will go. Getting very anxious in the lead up to my surgery. Starting to wonder will it work for me.... will I lose weight... im worried that I will still have to be very disciplined with exercise and eating to lose weight... because if thats true, im not going to lose anything.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..    Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..  Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgery is two weeks on Wednesday, have to start OptiFast..
Page 1 of 1