AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin Empty
PostSubject: Re: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

Oh, this all sounds so familiar, yearny!

Try to get in to see your endocrinologist soon and work out a plan for your opti - or even just a phone chat can help you sort that out.

The binging thing - it's called a 'food funeral' - and lots of people go through it, whatever type of weight loss surgery they're going in for. It's like saying goodbye to your old way of eating. I swore I wouldn't do it, did anyway, and started putting on even more weight.

Then I thought 'well, that's just stupid - you're having major surgery to get rid of the effects of this, and it wil just be more to take off in a few weeks'. So that's why I started my opti when I did, and I was glad that I did so.

One comment that helped me a lot was that a fellow sleever said - well it's not like you've never had those things before, and after you recover from the op you'll be able to have them again, just in smaller amounts. That helped me a lot! And I also realised that I'd been on far harder 'diets' over many years, and this was just for a few weeks of my life and would give me a much better result for the rest of my life.

I'm sending my personal email address by PM...
Back to top Go down

is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin Empty
PostSubject: Re: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

Thanks chrisbychic,

I am on fast acting and slow acting insulin and Diabex, it is great to think there is a light at the end of the insulin tunnel. I saw my endocrinologist last week and she wants me to see her before the op so we can sort out my meds. Whilst I am only at the beginning stage of the sleeve process, I feel every little step takes me closer to my goal.

Though today I feel like I have been eating like there is no tomorrow one of the reasons I want to start the optifast. Before your op did you feel so close yet so far away, did you have eating binges for no reason at all?
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 10:59 am

I was on Diabex and Diaformin and fast-acting insulin and slow-acting insulin before my sleeve, for type 2 diabetes.

My endocrinologist and I made a plan for how to deal with the Opti stage, which I started 6 weeks before the op (my choice), for all 3 meals. I did have extra allowable vegetables, though, if I was having difficulty. I can't remember the details now, but if you look at my early diary, you might find more diabetes info in there.

While I was in hospital, they insisted on giving me insulin after testing (it was only a tiny amount), but my doc had told me to stop it straight after the op. I'd already been able to cut right back on my pills, and stayed on a little Diabex for a short while afterwards - but my levels were all in the normal range, and it was really just to make the doc feel better, I think!

I'm nearly 4 years out now, and my levels have stayed within the normal range, even though my diet the last 12 months has been pretty bad and I've put on about 11kg over that time. The last HBA1C, which I have every 6 months or so, showed me at 6.0, which technically means that they don't count me as diabetic any more.

Good luck with your Opti and your sleeve.

is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin 217555
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

Thanks Mandy, I was planning to go full Optifast with fruit and vegies, so I will do one meal a day. Great news re the meds, I know everyone is different but it is my dream to get off the insulin.

Nita
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 8:35 am

It really depends how you want to use Opti,

If you are planning on just changing one meal a day for a shake or other Opti product you can safely start now, just remember though to keep a watch on your sugar levels. If you are wanting to try a more intense program of Optifast you need to wait till you have seen your Doctor.

As for Type 2 Diabeties and the sleeve, my sugar levels were normal within a week of my sleeve, my meds were stopped within a month of the sleeve, all i do now is check my blood one a week just to make sure i still read as normal.

smiles

Mandy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin EmptySat 14 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm

I don't see my dietian until 1st may, and Dr until about the 16th May, (no sleeve date yet) am I jumping the gun if I start the optifast now. I have about 80kgs to loose and am eager to start the process. Any advice would be really welcomed.

Also I have type 2 diabeties, and am on insulin has anyone had problems taking optifast with insulin. My Dr has told me I should be off my diabetes medication within weeks of my operation has anyone found this to be the case

thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin   is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin Empty

Back to top Go down

is it ever to early to start Optifast, are there any probs with it and insulin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: