134 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
shazza73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Post Surgery Hair loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 1:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi has anyone experienced hair loss since there surgery and weight loss
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 May 2010, 5:22 am

I read something interesting on the bandits board today. That a side effect of anti reflux meds can be hair loss and that it can continue for 6 months after you stop them. Now THAT is something I have NOT checked, NOT verified with a doctor or a pharmacist. You can put your brand of reflux meds into a google search plus the words side effects and see what you bring up to give you a quick idea. The worst one was Nexium from what I gather for hair loss. But I can not stress enough I have not verified this and it could be 1 in 10,000 users get 6 hairs fall out or something stupid like that.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 May 2010, 11:04 pm

From memory... I read the thing in egg whites that reduces the absorption of biotin is deacitvated when the egg is cooked while the biotin isn't. So cooked eggs are a very good source of both protein and b7.
Although I also read that the human body usually produces more than enough biotin for most people and that there are supplements you can take if you are deficient (as is the case for some people after a gastrectomy). Also - there are no known side effects of an excess so if you are losing hair then taking a supplement for a few weeks to see if it improves is definitely an option.
I'm pretty sure (although I did a lot of reading) that most of that info is on the wikipedia page on biotin.

Oh - and you can't absorb it through the skin, so buying expensive shampoos, etc won't help if biotin is your issue :)
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 May 2010, 10:25 pm

After an email from my dietician, I went google hunting and found this. I thought it was shareworthy...
I'm now really starting to wonder about the validity of these NutriChews......

Biotin plays a significant part in the prevention of hair loss. Most nutritionists agree that biotin is one of the important vitamins for supporting hair growth. It is also commonly advised to take biotin to supplement medical treatments such Minoxidil or Propecia.
A deficiency of biotin may cause hair to become frail and unhealthy, and hair breakage, which may result in hair loss. Biotin also keeps your skin and nails healthy as well as being an important element of new hair growth. Supplements are sometimes needed to return biotin levels to normal, but it is recommended to include biotin regularly in your diet. Two foods containing good quantities of biotin are liver and egg yolks. You would have to eat thousands of calories worth daily to get enough for your hair needs, which is why I would also suggest biotin supplements.
Foods full of biotin include brewer's yeast, green peas, oats, soybeans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, bulgur and brown rice.
In terms of the egg yolks, your body's ability to digest and assimilate biotin decreases with high intake levels of protein. Biotin binds easily to proteins, making it unavailable to your body, which in turn causes biotin deficiency and hair loss. Try to steer clear of raw eggs in your diet, and cut down on protein powders and bars. Use one of the many shampoos that contain biotin and silica.
Additionally, those with type A blood don't have the ability to fully absorb B vitamins. Biotin is classified as a Vitamin B, so if you have Type A blood, adding higher doses of 5-8 grams twice daily will be needed to help prevent hair loss. At this time, there are no known side effects at this dosage level.
Biotin is one of the water-soluble B complex vitamins and is also known as Vitamin H or B7. It is essential for cell growth and producing fatty acids. It is helpful in maintaining a steady blood sugar level and assists in several metabolic reactions.
People suffering from heartburn, acid reflux, or GERD and who are taking antacids may absorb biotin less and hair loss may occur as a result. Therefore watch your use of over-the-counter antacids if you are worried about hair loss.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 May 2010, 10:47 am

Well, snow and glittergirl. That makes us the Three Musketeers!!
Don't it just suck sooooooooo bad?
I've never lost so much hair in my life before. EVER!!
Yes, I've lost some after surgeries.
Yes, I lost quite a lot at menopause which left me a lot thinner on top than I used to be... but now... O. M. G.
This is absolutely ridiculous!!
Apple, I'm glad you said TRY to stay calm!!! Extremely difficult to do!
So. What have I found out?
Well... to start off with. The classic "Bell Curve" scenario... Some don't lose much, majority lose some, and other poor suckers lose lots.
Guess which end of the Bell Curve I'm at? [If Bell was around, I'd kick him/her]
So. Dietician AND doctor both say that added Zinc is a goer. I didn't know about the dandruff shampoo and believe it or not, have been using it lately anyway!!
Also, protein intake is important. So, you need to make sure you've had at least 7.5g per kilo of your own bodyweight to have had enough for yourself. Mine was under so I'm boosting it with one serve a day of Musashi Hybrid 92 Sustained Release Protein Blend. It's chocolate flavour. Drinkable. My dietician approved, which was good! 472kg per serve.
It was recommended to me last week also to take extra calcium as well as zinc. The way around this was Caltrate Plus. Sorry, I don't have the box it came in any more, but it does have both calcium and zinc in it.
Both of these are hopefully short term fixes. I'm looking at at least a couple of months. Hopefully by then the hairloss with have returned back to normal!
There are lots of lists you can find, via google, to show you protein values. These also come in very handy.
Hope this helps.
RG
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 May 2010, 5:53 am

glittergirl has all the bases covered, you can try a bit more protien, but it really is do things that make you feel like you are doing something if it helps YOU and just try and stay calm until you ride it out.

If it seems long term to you then you seriously need to look at your protien intake. Tho 99% of people here it is just the impact from surgery but a long term diet low in protien will NOT help you recover that lovely mane.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
glittergirl
glittergirl

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptySun 23 May 2010, 11:27 pm

I'm currently in the same position as you, Snow.... It is pretty scarey, but i know its temporary and so i've been taking a supplement from my naturopath for "hair skin and nails", i've been brushing my hair (mainly the scalp) with a soft bristled brush (to stimulate the scalp), and washing my hair with Nioxin (its a 3 step treatment for hair loss) AND i've been wearing hats. People say that wearing hats will make it worse, but the hair that's falling out is dead anyway, so it doesn't make it worse. Wearing hats in the long term (ie: years) can cause the hair to stop growing in places, but it's winter, so it's hat time for me (i'm wearing one right now!!).

Also, i've had to force myself to become a little bit "zen" about it, because stressing can cause hair loss.... so every time i started getting stressed or ridiculous about it, i just thought of my aunty, who recently lost ALL of her hair going through chemo for breast cancer.... she was my reality check - you gotta find yours!

Good luck - my hair loss has slowed down, and yours will too. I can already see the tiny baby hairs coming through. So just take advantage of the winter (hat) months and find your "zen"!!
Back to top Go down
snow1081
Part of the furniture
snow1081

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptySun 23 May 2010, 1:54 pm

Omg! I already have a thin hair but this past month has been worse!
Help needed urgently i think i am going bold! I can see my scalp now so scared!
I know someone said it's only temporary but i am very veey scared! I dont even dare
to take picture now for it showS my lack of hair!!!
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 13 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm

hi there,

if I may add my two cents worth:

My hairdresser recommended that I buy some overly priced product which would have made my wallet thinner as well. She read into it and noticed that once of the active ingredients was zinc, she told me to go out and get an anti dandruff shampoo as the active ingredient in that is... Zinc!!

Gave it a try and have noticed that my hair is not falling out as much or as fast....still happens but it is more controlled.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 13 Apr 2010, 4:01 am

I had heard and read a lot about hair loss and thought as I did have this after both pregnancies there might be a chance it would happen after the stress of surgery ...... so, as soon as I was able to start taking tablets I started taking Swisse Hair and Nails formula, am still taking them at 6 months out, have had very small amount hair fall which is great. Also my nails continue to stay on the stronger side of normal though there is some ridging. Will talk to doc or dietitian next time.
All is good!
Linda :)
Back to top Go down
Anna

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-01-25

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 11:37 pm

Hi

Happy to say that 5 months post op and I think it may be growing back. Just a month ago I was stressing really bad but now I can see little growth spurts. Hope this is the start to something good. I have been taking Silica tissue salts everyday but dont really know if that is what has done it or just nature working as it should.

Hair Loss - Page 5 487524
Back to top Go down
glittergirl
glittergirl

Female

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanks applesauce and Vicky... my hair is already really short (almost boy short) and flouro pink with dark.... there's not much to cut off!! hence the idea of hats for winter... i'm guessing the stress of my hair falling out isn't really helping the hair falling out!!
Back to top Go down
newlifestyle888
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 12:43 pm

Hi glittergirl I lost lots and lots of hair, it looked really stringy. So friday off to the hairdresser and took her advice to cut it to above my shoulder and put a dark colour in it which makes my hair look alot thicker and healther. It was well worth it. I have also been taking zinc and band buddy vitamins, the loss will slow down.

Take Care
Vicky
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 12:19 pm

It does grow back, it may get a little worse over the next couple of months then it starts to get better. there is not much you can do about it you can try extra protien extra vitiamins and even some specilist shampoos, but the reality is that it is more just nature finally making things go back to normal than any magic curer. But hey it sure makes some people feel better trying so no harm no foul unless somebody is trying to sell you something for 100 bucks hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
glittergirl
glittergirl

Female

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010, 11:56 am

oooooooohhhhh my gosh!!! my hair is falling out so badly!! I went to pin back my fringe today and FREAKED OUT cos i could so clearly see my scalp!! I am not coping... i am a hair/makeup artist so obviously people are checking out how i look... thank goodness its coming into winter and i can just go buy a heap of funky caps... PLEASE tell me it will grow back.... i'm 4 months post-op... soooo glad i had the sleeve and very happy with results... just not the hair loss!!
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:11 am

Sorry pf337, didn't realise you were in the US, makes it a bit harder. I've emailed the company to ask about the product. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 12:05 am

email:
Toll Free:
Phone:
Fax:
info@millerpharmacal.com
+1.800.323.2935
+1.630.871.9557
+1.630.871.9558
Address:

350 Randy Road, Suite 2
Carol Stream, IL 60188-1831

millerpharmacal.com go to this site.....I think you can order. I promise, it is worth a try.
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm

A/G-PRO A Fortified Amino Acid Dietary Supplement.....Miller Pharmacal Group, Inc. Carol Stream, IL 60188...I have bought it at Walmart and Target...It may be at many others, I just do not know. Hope this information helps.
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:49 am

Hi pf337

Would you be able to direct me to an Aussie stockist? Having a hard time finding anything.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:36 am

A-G Pro.......I looked and looked and studied and studied.....My daughter and I found this product and wow, it works! My doctor and hair dresser could really tell a big difference. Everyone is correct, worse hairloss was between 3 and 6 after surgery. My doctor now tells everyone to begin A-G Pro around 2 1/2 to 3 months out. Your hair continues to grow but it becomes weak and breaks off as it comes through the scalp. AG-Pro on a REGULAR basis, strengthens hair so it does not break off as it comes through the scalp. Seems to help with nails and skin also. It was not that easy to find but over the last year you can find it in many of the stores in the United States. The price has already dropped a few dollars. You can get more info online. Give it a try.......and that means.......at least a couple of months. Try it before hairloss becomes a big problem. Take the bottle to your doctor dietician and hair dresser....see what they say.
Back to top Go down
newlifestyle888
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 10:19 am

Have the same problem with hair loss, spoke to dietician about it and she suggested zinc for one month. Hope it helps.

Vicky Hair Loss - Page 5 696192
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 7:49 am

This article explains it pretty well.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1960516/weight_loss_surgery_and_hair_loss.html
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 7:30 am

I think...think mine is starting to slow down a tad...I am almost 6 months post op and yep it started about 3 months out...I always had pretty thick hair thankgod!!!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 7:21 am

From 3-6 months you are likely to have hair loss - then it will slow down and stop. It is to do with the shock to the system of the surgery/diet change, plus the anasthetic.

It is temporary though - so don't worry (she says easily - although she was in a panic herself!)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 4:49 am

I have been losing my hair now for 8 weeks, not falling out in clumps, but about 4-12 hairs in the comb every morning. Hair Loss - Page 5 427584

I am getting very thin on top, so much so, the hairdresser would only trim the front and sides last week and charged me $5!!

She said people won't notice it, but I DO!! I can see my scalp.

My diet is excellent and taking all my vitamins, don't think I can do much else.

Suppose it will stop falling out one day Boggled
Back to top Go down
Anna

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-01-25

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 3:45 am

Thanks for your replies. Might just keep the hair just in case I need to glue it back on

Hair Loss - Page 5 618285
Back to top Go down
sabarka
sabarka

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 3:11 am

Don't forget to get your protein in.... and possibly get some Biotin from the chemist... it is good for hair, nails, and skin.

Leanne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Loss   Hair Loss - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hair Loss
Page 5 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next