spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 12:55 pm

Well done you guys.  It is good for your hair to have a good cut.  Reduces the stress.  Keep on being proactive guys.

hair loss 446871  hair loss 217555  hair loss 542174  hair loss 65317  hair loss 68366  hair loss 63412 I know  hair loss 63469 but it should grow back in its own time
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 8:32 am

Rocloc, I am a big believer in the big chop being helpful. I had all my hair cut off a few weeks post op, and I have had only minimal loss.
Back to top Go down
Rocloc

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-04-24

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: hair loss   hair loss EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 8:01 am

I had long very thick hair, I am one year out, my hair loss started same as most others around the 4 month mark but mine didn't stop, I tried everything and nothing worked, I contracted a very bad virus which I was hospitalised with at about the 7 month mark so whether or not this made a difference to the continuation of the hair loss I dont know, in the end I had it all cut off a couple of weeks ago into a pixie cut, it looks great, says me and everybody else lol, and wish I had have done it ages ago instead of trying trying trying to keep what I had, it is also in much better condition, I beleive that most of my hair was dead or certainly in very bad condition so it was the best option to chop and start again, although i'm liking the short cut and my face is quite thin and long so looks good, think I'll keep it!!
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyThu 21 Aug 2014, 9:07 am

Distresssing as it is the hair does grow back.  As mentioned by someone, adjust your hairstyle as you need to.  Eat as much protein as possible and take a hair nail and skin multi to help.  Keep positive.
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyThu 21 Aug 2014, 4:10 am

I've got hashimoto's which makes me lose hair and makes it dry and brittle anyway. Since the op though, it has drastically dwindled. If I hold all of my hair in a ponytail and twist it or plait it the whole thickness is about half of my little finger. It looks a lot more though when it's washed and fluffed up. I notice now as I colour it, the strands are breaking off where the colour  finishes so I have lots of short strands in regrowth. I am 10months post op and stupidly forget to take my vitamins.
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyWed 20 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm

Other people have noticed my hair loss, Mumofone83. I wrote somewhere else, my scrunchy goes around 3 times, it used to go around only twice, if that gives you a better idea of the amount lost.  The condition also changed & it got very dry & wispy, very upsetting after having long, thick wavy hair. The condition has improved the last couple of months (I'm 11 months post op now). I now have a ring of new growth right around my head & because it's curly it sticks up in all directions. I've started to wear a headband to hold these little suckers down! haha!
My hair was the only thing I liked about myself for a very long time & it's easy for people to say it'll grow back again, but it'll take years to get it to the length it was, so I understand your worry. In saying that, if I could go back in time I would still have the operation, as I've now lost 65kg in 11 months & the hair loss is really the only downside. Every other part of my life has been improved :)
Back to top Go down
Newmein2014
Newmein2014

Female
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2014-03-27

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:16 pm

Unfortunately yes, my hairdresser and I have come up with a plan of attack to modify my style slowly every few weeks to hide the loss.
Back to top Go down
Mumofone83
Mumofone83

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-06-18

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:07 pm

Do other people notice how much thinner it is though?
Back to top Go down
Newmein2014
Newmein2014

Female
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2014-03-27

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:06 pm

I'm currently five months post op, my hair has always been thin but I would now go as far as calling it wispy.  

The big question is would I rather have the 45kg back or the hair????

....... I can alway buy a hat.......
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 9:38 am

Kiah, that is a great explanation from your GP - I was guessing it was the change in nutrition so now I won't worry about seeking treatments and vitamins and just let the natural restoration occur when my body recovers from the trauma.  Thanx 4 sharing!
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Beef Jerky warning..lol   hair loss EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 4:46 am

My husband decided that Beef Jerky would be a great snack for him, failed to notice that it came in all flavours and temperatures. Extra spicy was the one he bought and I don't think he quite enjoyed it as much as he thought he would. The ring of sting (as mentioned by another member here) or burning ring of fire was the ultimate outcome.
So if you are buying Jerky just make sure you are getting the plain one for a little while at least...lol

hair loss 878453  hair loss 878453  fart  fart  fart
Back to top Go down
Mumofone83
Mumofone83

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-06-18

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 4:12 am

I've read so much about the hair loss factor with GSS. Is the loss most of you have experienced only apparent to you, or do others notice it too? I'm going to be gutted when this starts happen to me, as my hair has always been the only thing I really liked about myself, but I guess it's a very small price to pay for a healthier body and lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
Kiah
Part of the furniture
Kiah

Female
Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-10-25

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptySun 03 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

Yup, we now keep beef jersey in the cupboard. I kinds suck on it a while to soften it up, then chew the heck out it. No probs. yoghurt is probably my fav protein snack tho, hommus also good.

My awesome GP is the first person to tell me WHY the hairloss occurs - the phenomenon is known as telogen effluvium. When the body undergoes a 'trauma' (major op, childbirth etc) it often synchronises hair into 1 phase of growth from the normal 3 phases of growth (growing / resting / shedding). So this means you now effectively will enter a time where you shed 3 times the amount of hair you normally would - & not surprisingly, you notice this!

Fortunately it's only temporary. With good nutrition, adequate rest etc, the body will re-establish the normal pattern.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Beef Jerky   hair loss EmptyMon 14 Jul 2014, 9:59 am

I heard today that beef jerky is low in fat and high in protein, I wonder if anyone has tried it?
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 14 Jul 2014, 9:21 am

To get extra protein in your diet you can use egg white powder, add that to casseroles, rissoles, quiches.  There are quite a few flours that are 80% protein. as a snack consume a small protein bar which is around 9 grams of protein.  The prawn wonton soup available is quite high in protein too.  If you are early in the eating stages you will not be able to eat all five prawns. Another snack 8 almonds, 40g cheese.
do a bit of research you will find foods that are high in protein even only with the small portion you are able to eat.

Fibre fix is good, early stages of track 2-3 prunes, and as you progress increase the number 5-6 and that counts as a piece of fruit.  I used supplement the diet with 3 pieces of liquorice , the pieces that are about 2.5cm long.

There is more than one way of "skinning a cat", you just have to find yours.

As far as the iron goes, check your multi vitamin has an iron content. If not take another form of iron.  I am on 3000mg of vit d as my levels keep on falling.  My advice is to be vigilent about your health.  Keep on taking the your vitamins and minerals.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 14 Jul 2014, 2:11 am

I have to say I lost at least 1/3 of my hair thickness around the 4 mths mark it continued over a couple of months.   I'd say my loss now is at the normal rate but alas my hair has been very slow to pick up it is still mighty thin and dull although not bald by a long shot I wash and style it once a week then wear it in a pony for the rest of the week.  I have coloured several times as I have got a fair amount of grey these days I did a major trim in the beginning of the loss but just very little since.  I took the hair skin vitamins to begin with but then gave them a miss but I think it may not have come back very fast as I am iron deficient taking supplements for that now but paying the price at the other end of things so it seems its thin hair or constipation.  I do have quite a number of baby hairs so it does come back but the time varies as I have read others saying theirs isn't so nice either its like everything else I suppose the luck of the draw I got through the surgery no problem I am happy with my overall loss so thin hair big deal.
Back to top Go down
Glenice

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-01-07

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 14 Jul 2014, 12:10 am

Hi Everyone- I was glad to see some discussion on hair loss.  I am 4.5 months post - op and noticed  just this weekend just gone when I put a colour in my hair at home, when rinsing it out in the shower, A great deal of hair came loose in the shower and later when combing out the knots.  Up until then I have to say, I hadnt noticed anything untoward.  My hair is also long and from discussion on hair loss many years ago when I first moved to NSW, with a doctor, they said its normal to lose 50 - 100 strands a day.  The trouble with long hair is it looks more than that because its long.

I have struggled to get the required protein intake daily and from reading below might now invest in some iron supplements because, silly me,  I hadnt drawn the bow between protein (mostly meat) and iron (comes from meat mostly) in my diet.  I am in my mid 50's so have never thought of an iron supplement before.  But I think a good point is made.

I've lost 27 kg and am feeling great.  about another 30 to go lol

Cheers
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptySun 13 Jul 2014, 3:50 am

Zigzag, you are just a spring chicken compared to me.  Your body will be under stress while losing the weight, and having lost 4/5s of its stomach.  The brain and stomach have to learn how to talk to each other again.  Your skin will wonder what in the heck is happening, so good attention paid to your skin would be in good stead as well.  Everyone's body reacts differently to the situation, go with the flow and do what you have to do to meet your bodies needs, especially skin and hair.  My nails were ok but my daughter's nails went soft, her skin was ok but mine became a little sensitive and needed plenty of hydrating masks.  But I have had radiation treatment and seems to have long reaching affects on the body. 

My motto is if you come across a challenge chase up the solution.  Do what it takes to succeed to get around situations.
Back to top Go down
zigzag
zigzag

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2014-02-28

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Cowardly lion   hair loss EmptySun 13 Jul 2014, 2:05 am

Thanks Spoggy

I am glad I posted my concern even if it twigs of some vanity. As I am older, somewhat unhealthy (including psoriatic arthritis and skin), as well as being rotund I feel like my hair is one area that is doing okay.

Cheers zigzag
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptySat 12 Jul 2014, 11:36 pm

Hi it is a good thing to remember that the hair loss, if it occurs, is only temporary.  If you think about it, the benefits to your health for losing weight, having temporary hair loss is not as huge as you first think.  I know how you feel, It did occurred to me, but I found it was not as bad as I thought it would be and found there were tactics you can put in place to help yourself.

My daughter had her sleeve 18 months ago.  Her hair thinned.  She had long hair, so she got it cut, made sure she had lots of protein, there are ways of increasing it without increasing the volume of food.  Took vitamins for nails, hair and skin, made sure she took her multi vitamin, and anything she needed to take.  Bye the 9 month mark her hair was nearly back to normal.

Her hair is long again and looking beautiful.
Back to top Go down
zigzag
zigzag

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2014-02-28

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptySat 12 Jul 2014, 8:37 am

Ottopia wrote:
Hi there, I am one of the more fortunate ones who has not had any noticeable hairless, rather my hairdresser says my hair is growing really quickly and looks great- same with my nails, I have to keep trimming them. I have pretty well maintained 80-100 grams of protein every day since about 2 weeks after surgery. That's all I can put it down to.
I take a protein powder in a drink called humapro which is branch chain amino acids and you get 25 gms of protein equivalent in one serve.

Hope this helps.

Llyr
Hello Ottopia  but open to all posters,

I have not yet booked my operation because I am very concerned about being the one who has poor outcomes, and hair loss by volume and condition is a concern for me.  I have good hair, reasonably thick, and it is probably my only flattering feature to be frank. It seems to be more common for most and you are in the minority you lucky lady ! 

What I would like to know from posters from their experience is,  later on when a more balanced diet is achievable , will my luscious locks (for want of a better phrase) come back at all and in  reasonably good nick eventually  ??
 The doctors tell you it does, but....... all the same they are keen for you to want the op aren't they  ??
 hair loss 697586 
My hair gives me SOME confidence.   I am 55 and menopausal but I still have good hair. I want to lose my weight for health. yes....but if I lost my hair my mental health would suffer I fear and I have had some depression already from the weight issue.  I think many would have been there.

Lay it on the line....particularly the over 50's....
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

Hi there, I am one of the more fortunate ones who has not had any noticeable hairless, rather my hairdresser says my hair is growing really quickly and looks great- same with my nails, I have to keep trimming them. I have pretty well maintained 80-100 grams of protein every day since about 2 weeks after surgery. That's all I can put it down to.
I take a protein powder in a drink called humapro which is branch chain amino acids and you get 25 gms of protein equivalent in one serve.

Hope this helps.

Llyr
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014, 10:32 am

When I was going through this process I used blackmoores hair, skin and nails vitamin and made sure I had as much protein as possible.  This time does pass and take up to a year for it to get back to normal.  Some are subject to it more than others.
My daughter, Lindy had her sleeve 18 months ago and her hair is back to normal.  It is also very important that you take your multivitamins.  You don't want to trip off anything else unwanted.
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014, 9:33 am

Sorry about the size of the image lol should have checked it in preview before posting
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss EmptyMon 16 Jun 2014, 9:32 am

I had a haircut on Friday. OMG! My hair was more than half way down my back and now it just sits on my shoulders. The hairdresser gave me a blunt cut (so hair is all the same length, no layers) which makes it look so much thicker.
I've got a few layers around my face to soften the look....but Daaaaammmmnnnn!!!

hair loss LMFAO1

So, even though my hair is still falling out (see previous post). There are ways to get around it and I wouldn't be put off having a sleeve because of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: hair loss   hair loss Empty

Back to top Go down

hair loss
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next