8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm

Pealz.. it's ok!!

A lot of it depends on a lot of things. Happens to most of us, the amount lost varies from person to person.. and it does grow back! We are so used to eating a lot of food, and having such high calorie diets, that when we are sleeved, and taking in so much less than we are used to, the body will absolutely shit itself and try to compensate by taking away the nutrients we would normally use on bits like our hair and putting it to good use on another organ. Once the body has a better handle on our new normal, it will begin to right itself again. From what I've read, can take up to 18 months.

There is also the theory that the surgery itself is another reason. I think that is right. People probably don't notice it after non bariatric surgeries because they most likely don't have such a huge change in diet as we do, so it rights itself pretty quick.

In my case, at six months out, the loss has been minimal, just a slight thinning at the sides. I do my absolute best to make sure I get a metric buttload of protein into me every day.

As soon as I was able, I had all my hair cut off anyway. Said to my hairdresser, I want a Pink haircut, so knock yourself out! All my life I looked like someone had stuck a huge pumpkin on top of my shoulders, so once I was down to only two chins, and had a visible jawline, I was all over that!!

Get in as much protein as you can, take some good multivitamins, and if you feel like it, some hair/nails/skin tablets. And get in the habit of spending a couple of minutes giving your head a nice massage when you're washing your hair.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014, 12:51 pm

Yes it grows back that the best news.  How much you lose is individual some lose it by the handfull others almost nothing.  I personally lost probably 2 to 3 times more then the usual hairloss we all have on a daily basis.  I did get worried at one stage but it only lasted for about 2 to 3mths.  At no time did i look anywhere near bald but I did eventually have my hair cut to a bob just to help it recover quicker.  My pony tail is pretty thin but there is improvement as each week goes by I have coloured my hair 3 times since my op  I am now 11mths post op. 

There have been others who also believed their hair was their crowning glory but honestly the weightloss will be your glory the hair will return the fat hopefully won't win win really.
Back to top Go down
Pealz
Pealz

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm

Hello! I'm 3 weeks away from op date, what's this I'm reading about hairloss???? My hair is the only thing I have that I absolutely love about myself at the moment? How much do u lose? Does it grow back? Does this happen to every one?

HELP ME PLEASE
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female
Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptySun 26 Jan 2014, 11:59 am

Thanks ladies, tonibubble I've had the same images running through my head! Scary thought.  It's great to see others have been there and didn't go bald!

I don't actually get all over blonde as my natural colour is a darker blonde, so I only ever get a half head of foils to brighten it up.  Maybe that's a good thing in that not all my hair will be touched by the bleach.  
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptySun 26 Jan 2014, 6:22 am

Thanks Barbie & Bluebags, makes me feel better. I only ever get the roots done anyway :)
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptySat 25 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

I have redone my roots twice at the hairdressers since having the op and it didn't increase the loss its stayed the same amount.  My loss is slowing big time I am just over 8mths.  My colour is blonde and they cover grey roots not as light as MissC my natural colour is blonde just these days way more grey.  Maybe just get the roots done and leave the foils for a couple more months as long as the roots are coloured the rest will still remain blonde from previous foils.
Back to top Go down
B4RB13

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptySat 25 Jan 2014, 11:01 am

Hi I'm a ex hairdresser... If you are having bleach foils you will have to take into account that bleach weakens your hair and when your taking out the foils there is a risk anyway that it could fall out. I would just let your hairdresser now and maybe she could use a low peroxide or high lift tint? You need to color it eventually.
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptySat 25 Jan 2014, 7:42 am

I keep imagining going to the hair dressers for foils & as she's removing the foil, all my hair is coming out with them & I end up looking like that bald little critter off " Lord of the Rings!" So needless to say I've been putting it off as long as possible ;)
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptySat 25 Jan 2014, 5:36 am

I home dyed my hair a week after surgery and have done the roots evey 6 weeks since then. No problems with my hair.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014, 12:05 pm

Oh good!

I decided I couldn't wait today, the grey was taunting me, so I just did a home job, light golden brown. Next time I get my hair chopped off, I'll ask about the platinum blond!
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014, 11:13 am

Wow thanks LittleMissCee, glad to hear someone has done this despite hair loss, i think i might give it a crack!
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014, 9:14 am

thanks Miss Cee, really don't want to go dark, blonde suits me much better :)
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014, 8:00 am

I get my roots and regrowth bleached (straight on the scalp) plus foil every 4 weeks.

Have done for years. Never stopped after I had my sleeve, still had hair loss but I've still got hair.
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014, 5:47 am

Wenchie yes you've probably got a few weeks yet, and who knows maybe you'll get lucky!

Tonibubble, lets hope someone with experience in this reads this post!
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm

Great question Lioness! My regrowth is getting pretty long, but I'm a bit scared of getting foils as well. It's already thinned out so much.
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm

Awww bugger Lioness! So sorry you're going through the yucky bits now. I have no advice, but I'm also curious to know the answer, as I've been considering a pretty drastic colour change. Thinking of going from brunette to blond. Hair loss should be just around the corner for me I guess, you were the beginning of October, I'm the end of October!
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female

PostSubject: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014, 8:05 am

Hi everyone,

This is probably going to sound silly as i really should just know to wait, but i am currently in the hair loss phase post sleeve.  My hair is getting to the point where i desperately need to get blonde foils again, if i do so is my hair likely to fall out even more?  Has anyone done this during the period of losing hair?  

Any hairdressers out there who might know about this as well????

My confidence is increasing with my weightless but now i'm becoming embarrassed by my hair which has always been the only thing i've ever liked about myself, so anybody's personal experience with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss   Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss Empty

Back to top Go down

Dying/bleaching hair with hair loss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: Guys, Girls & Relationships :: Secret Women's Business-
Jump to: