Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Hi from Perth as well Empty
PostSubject: Thanks   Hi from Perth as well EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 10:21 am

Thanks guys,
Purplehaze how did you go having the both done at the same time? Any probs?
Applesauce I definitely know when I'm in the middle of an attack as my wee goes the most attractive - not - shade of dark orange and I feel like death warmed up!! I'm just glad that I don't suffer like you did you poor thing!! I haven't had an attack for a while, touch wood, so hopefully everything will be alright and I'll get 2 for 1.
Has anyone had a band removed and the sleeve done in 1 go with Dr Padovan. If you have I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers all,
Janey
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 8:41 am

HI Janey, I'm getting band out and sleeve done in one op but it varies. There is a few of on the forum that are an have different surgeons.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 6:48 am

I never had any pain where my gall bladder was when I had an attack all the pain was in my back should blad area. Like I was being stabed. Horrible vomiting of bile and dry retching. Attacks lasted upto 6 hours. Then left me weak for days after. I had not had an actual attack for close to a year when I had mine out. I have not a single problem since I had it out. I was told the surgery took an extra 30 minutes to do when he did the sleeve, and they did the gall bladder first. I also gather if the gall bladder was in the middle of an attack as in inflamed they would not do the surgery at the same time either. Again risk of infection. Not sure if I mentioned or not some people experence nausea after removal of the gall bladder. BUT most I gather now seem to be those who had it removed in the middle of and attack rather than like you would have it removed when you where okay.

So you might not get 3 for 1 but a good shot at getting 2 for 1 :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Thanks   Hi from Perth as well EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 4:48 am

Oooops. I forgot to say thankyou to you too Applesauce.

I figured that gallbladder removal wouldn't be too much of a problem during sleeving surgery as it's done laprascopically and it's in much the same region. Good to have it confirmed.

Have you noticed any differences once it was removed? Just curious. I have never had any pain when I have an attack - I know I'm strange!!!! - I just feel really sick and weak for a fortnight during an attack. I have the orange pee and the yellow p..h so it's pretty gross. Funnily enough I don't even feel any pain when my GP palpates my upper abdomen during an attack. Told you I was strange. Hehehe. Lucky though I guess as I believe the pain is excrutiating. Though I've had my fair share of really painful band blockages so I haven't gone untouched.

Thanks once again for all your help,

Janey
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Thanks   Hi from Perth as well EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 2:15 am

Hi Lynette and thanks for all of that.
I like to be informed and now know what to expect. I really appreciate you filling me in.

I'll post again once I've seen him and let you know how I go.

Janey
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyWed 03 Dec 2008, 9:02 am

Hi Janey

There were a few pre-op things to do. He likes you to visit both his dietitian and his psychologist (maybe a few times) prior to surgery and you will probably see him twice pre-surgery, the initial appointment and 1 other. He will ask you to get blood tests about a week before. He does not insist on optifast before surgery, although his dietitian is currently conducting a study on the benefits or not of pre-surgery optifast so she may ask you to participate. He also did not do an endoscopy prior to surgery as he checks everything out once you are in surgery. Post op will require visits to both him and his dietition, and the psych if you want. I've had a few visits with the psych post op as it is good to talk issues through with someone who has expertise in weight loss etc. All three are excellent. Sleevewise I have had no real problems, my scars are nice and straight and small, although still a bit pink. My understanding is that Dr P has done around 1000 weight loss surgeries including banding, sleeve, by-pass, dual switch etc. No deaths, no leaks. He is French Canadian and studied under one of the top bariatric surgeons in the US, so is very well qualified. He also does the excess skin removal once you reach your goal weight, if that's something you want done.

He's not bad on the eye either, although he is married (to one of his assistants). Very lovely bed side manner and very friendly and supportive and encouraging. I think he really loves his job in transforming unhappy big people to happy healthy ones. I am very happy with the surgeon I chose.

Hi from Perth as well 749870

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyWed 03 Dec 2008, 7:53 am

Most surgeons will not remove a band and do a sleeve at the same time. Worth asking tho. I had sleeve done and my gall bladder taken out at the same time tho. I had stones and asked for it to be done at the same time and was told not a problem. I do know tho if something goes wrong as in the gall bladder leaks muck everywhere when they remove it they will stop and not do further surgery to stop the risk of infection. I gather that is not common tho, but can happen.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Thanks   Hi from Perth as well EmptyWed 03 Dec 2008, 7:45 am

Hi Lynette and thanks,
How are you doing with the sleeve? Your stats look great. Congratulations!!!
Is there a lot of pre-op toing and froing with Dr Padovan? Or is it pretty cut and dried?
Look forward to hearing from you,

Janey
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyWed 03 Dec 2008, 4:36 am

Hi Janey

You'll really like Dr Padovan, so good luck with all your surgeries, hopefully you can get them all the one day.

Hi from Perth as well 65317
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Hopefully!!!   Hi from Perth as well EmptyWed 03 Dec 2008, 3:45 am

Hi Matilda,
Yes I'm hoping to have both done together and I'll also be asking about having my gallbladder taken out too. I don't know if he does this or not but as I have stones I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully a hat trick for all three.
I'm seeing Dr Padovan at the Mount on the 15th so we will be close together. I'll let you know how I went so you know what to expect for your visit.
Take care and talk to you soon.
Janey
Back to top Go down
Matilda

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyTue 02 Dec 2008, 4:25 am

Hi Janey
Shame about your lap band. I've known 4 friends who had it done, 2 had alot of trouble with it. One friend threw up constantly, one whose port twisted around and 2 friends who didn't lose any weight, which I realise is maybe their own issue of sticking to the rules, but overall it never sounded positive to me.
I googled my friends Dr, Dr Cohen from Mercy and somehow made it to this page with all the great info about the sleeve.
It was interesting to see all the bandits that are coming across to the sleeve, which really helped make my decision.
My appointment with Dr Padovan is Jan 19th down at Waikiki although I will go to the Mount for surgery. The Waikiki date ws the first one I could get, such a busy man!
I was kind of given the impression that it may only take a couple of weeks till surgery. I'm hoping for the second or fourth weeks in Feb which would be ideal otherwise I will have to wait tll end of April due to work committments.
Hopefully we can be around the same time.
You're having the band removed and the sleeve at the same time? Hope it goes well
Talk again soon
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Welcome   Hi from Perth as well EmptyTue 02 Dec 2008, 3:35 am

Hi again Matilda - I replied to your flying question - and welcome to a great group,
It's an absolute mountain of info and great advice.
I have had a lapband for 3 years and have had nothing but trouble and have had most of my fill removed due to blockages and of course the weight has stacked back on.
Speaking from personal experience of the band I think you have made the right choice and I'm looking forward to getting this thing out and having a sleeve instead.
As I said in my previous reply I'm seeing Dr Padovan too and hoping to get in there quick and get it done. Hopefully as I'm a bander and know all the rules and pitfalls re eating smaller amounts and chewing slowl
y - I am still the slowest eater even now with no fill LOL - I might get in quicker. Fingers crossed.
Good luck,

Janey
Back to top Go down
Matilda

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well EmptyTue 02 Dec 2008, 3:15 am

I am a newby from Perth as well.
I've got an appointment with Dr Padovan in Jan and I hope that it will only be a short wait till I get sleeved but who knows.

After reading everyones input I just want to go in tomorrow. I guess I can have one last Xmas stuffing with stuffing. Then opti until my appointment to make sure I'm ready when he is.
I haven't decided if I'm going to tell my friends and family yet.. Might just start going back to the Gym (or telling them thats what I'm doing lol)

Dr Padovan's receptionist was so lovely and infomative that it mader me feel better about my desision. Only 7 weeks and counting..

2 friends of mine had the lap band (thats how I found this website) but both had alot of trouble and all those needles into the port made me cringe.
Just having one operation with no mucking about seems good to me.

Am so looking forward to going through the process and watching the scales go down down..

Good luck to all
Matilda

Hi from Perth as well 120705
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth as well   Hi from Perth as well Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Perth as well
Page 1 of 1