aprilsun
aprilsun

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth... EmptySun 28 Feb 2010, 11:36 am

Hi BB,
I forgot to mention earlier, I also found this site back in Jan 09, and its been great. At the time I didnt have PHI, and my GP got me on the public hospital list for a sleeve. I thought I wouldnt have to wait long................wrong. In April 09 I commenced PHI, I just took out single cover for myself, and I cant believe how quickly the time has passed, its March tomorrow................ woohoo.
Dont be put off with the wait, time will pass, and in the mean time keep coming on this forum, the info and success stories will motivate you and keep you up to date with anything you want to know.
Im still waiting to get an appt just to see a surgeon at the public hosp, they told my GP I should get an appt late 2010, and that just to see the surgeon, and then most probably wait another year for surgery.
Also I have had to go to a couple of surgeons because ive been banded before, and some dont like to operate on someone whose been operated on by other surgeon.
Im going to Dr Alan Thomas, and from the info I have received from other surgeons, Dr Thomas and Dr Epari, they work together, are the cheapest out of pocket $2300-2500.

Good Luck
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... EmptySun 28 Feb 2010, 2:24 am

The biggest problems with the well give the lapband a try first attitude is that the very surgery itself can prevent you getting further surgery if the lapband causes enough damage. Read up on people who have been unable to go ahead and do a sleeve because of the mess left behind by a lapband. You also have to contend with it totaly ruining your metebolic rate making furthr weight loss surgery not as effective.

The reality of the lapband is no matter if it works for some it just DOESNT work long term even the long terms are ending up with problems slips uncontrolable reflux etc etc requiring their bands to be emptied and them regaining weight.

You can take out private hospital ONLY cover as a single even if you have a husband and or kids, then find a surgeon here in Perth willing to do the sleeve for around $2,500. I am not sure but I think the one in Bunbury if you are willing to spend a couple of nights there does it for no gap at all. But you would need to check that out.

applesauce
Back to top Go down

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 11:13 pm

thanks for everyone's feedback :-)

you've helped me make my mind up about not having the band....read quite a bit in this forum and the lapband forum and all i got was a panic attack lol :-)

i'm nervous enough about surgery, and a bit unsure of it all, but now i'm really concerned about my quality of life....the potential to vomit, reflux, slippage, mushy food...and all the other stuff that sounds so much fun.

the sleeve is the way i want to go. i'll keep ya's posted Hi from Perth... 217555
Back to top Go down
chook00
Part of the furniture
chook00

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 8:09 am

Hi BB

Shadesailundies had bypass surgery done by Dr Dolan, Check out her progress amazing! Perhaps if you are unsure about the band the bypass may be an option. Anyway I know shades is really busy so perhaps send her a PM and ask her about the op as she may not get on here often.

All the best for your journey!
Chook
Back to top Go down
aprilsun
aprilsun

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth... EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 6:05 am

Hi BB,
Im an ex bandit who was banded by Dr Dolan. I was banded in May 2007 and had it taken out Jan 2008, probably the worst thing i have ever done. This is not to scare you off, just telling my experience.
I didnt know about the sleeve back then and because Dr Dolan doesnt do them of course he never said anything. i was very excited about having the band thinking that itbwas going to solve all my problems. Not so, there is more to the band, your whole life changes, forget about been able to eat everything, its not the case.
There was alot of food I couldnt eat especially protein, bread, fruit...... foods I think are important. I thought I was going to be able to eat everything but in small portions..... not so.
I vomited everytime I ate, whether I ate slow or fast. My quality of life just went down hill. Dr Dolan didnt offer me any solution when i went to see him the very last time .... he just looked at me and said "Do you want to take it out"....and proceded to get the operation form ready for me to fill in, he just said if your not happy then have it out.........just like that...... so I did have it out.
As far as a Dr I found him to be ok, I liked him, I think he is good at his job, his personality is a bit different, but I still liked him. I felt safe and secure in his hands.
Its the band I didnt like, Dr D did get nasty with me because I never went back to him, he wrote a nasty letter to my family Dr.
Its a choice you have to make and to be honest I wish I had Known about the sleeve back then because I would have gone with that. I am now waiting for my first appt with Dr Thomas on March 29th and Im hoping to get sleeved. myself personally wouldnt recommend the band to anyone, but its everyones personal choice. Im just still amazed at all the peopple that have had the band and have had problems and had it taken out only to be sleeved. Think about it before you make the move. From everything I have read the band is more problematic than the sleeve, I know a few girls who still have the band in, but they also said that they vomit alot.... so its up to you to decide....... I just wanted to tell you my experience. Dr Dolan is a fine surgeon and I wouldnt be worried about that side of things.
Anyway I wish you all the luck and hope everything goes well for you.
Take care
Anna
Back to top Go down

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 3:57 am

thanks applesauce

yes i did find him very anti-sleeve, but i ignored that....he's just one negative against so many positives, but my situation is that i have to go banding.

thanks for the link :-) am just about to wander around and see what i can find

bubbly :-)
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 3:51 am

I am afraid you will not find anybody who has had him as their surgeon. Dr Dolan doesnt do sleeves and is the most out spoken anti sleeve doctor you will ever find. do not let that put you off here but I thought you would wonder why nobody put their hand up having him for a surgeon.

If you want to find others of his patients you will find them here http://au.messages.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lap-band/?p=1 just look for the Keven Dolan thread or Perth Get together thread. They use to be very active but are not so much these days. If you yell in the general thread I am sure somebody will poke the thread for him bringing it to the front page. Quiet a few have it bookmarked :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... EmptySat 27 Feb 2010, 3:39 am

Hi everyone :-)

I'm up for banding in May '10 with Kevin Dolan, as his public patient. I can't afford to fund sleeve surgery, so have been lucky to find him (was with SCGH...but the waiting is painful)

Anyway... love this forum. Have found a positive post about Mr Dolan and would love to hear from anyone who has had him as their surgeon. It'd be a comfort for this nervous patient :-)

Am also chasing the next Sticky Beaks meet-up.... would love to tag along.

Cheers All
Denise :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from Perth... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth...   Hi from Perth... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Perth...
Page 1 of 1