kittysmiles75
kittysmiles75

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth EmptyWed 14 Jan 2009, 3:43 am

Hi Caroline

I have just been sleeved after having a lapband for 18mths. I had problems with my band from day 2...only I didn't know that. I struggled for 18mths, losing 9kg initially but then ending up 10kg heavier than the day I went in for surgery. My Dr believed it was my fault for eating the wrong food, after a second opinion and having the band out, it was discovered I had a major slip (which happens!) If I had not insisted on a second opinion I would still be putting on weight and in a lot of pain. While my experience with the band is not typical, I am seeing alot of friends how have had their band for around the same time having real problems eating. Most are now living off coffee, ice-cream and chocolate because they can't get 'normal' food down.

I have to say, the whole experience with the sleeve has been so different. So far it has been far less painful and my recovery has been far quicker and easier. I am finding everything easy to manage...touch wood. BUT I do recognise that it is early days yet. Given that I have had both, I think the sleeve is a way better than the band, once you are over the first two weeks you can get on with your life. With the band you need to have fills (and unfills!), if you eat too much you vomit (actually for like an involuntary regurgitation, although I have been told it can happen with the sleeve too?). At the end of the day its all down to personal preferances and your willinginess to accept the possible risk associated with each surgery and what will suit you, your body and your lifestyle. My mum just had the band in October and loves it and she is having success.

I hope that helps...
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth EmptyTue 13 Jan 2009, 2:33 pm

Hi Caroline,

So glad you found us and welcome to the site......I'm sure you will find many answers to your questions on here from those already sleeved (I'm still waiting for my surgery) and undoubtedly you will make many new friends on here too........both amongst the zillions that seem to be popping up from WA and the rest of us too !

Hugs
Bella :)
Back to top Go down
karen
karen

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: welcome   Hi from Perth EmptyTue 13 Jan 2009, 10:49 am

Hello

My name is Karen, Im not sure but are you the one I was talking to SJOG day surgery last week waiting for our gastrscopy, and I was telling you about this sight, well if so welcome. and if you want that Dr's # I told you about let me know I will send it

Talk to you soon Karen
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth EmptySat 10 Jan 2009, 7:01 pm

Hi Caroline and welcome to the forum
Like you, I was considering the band and I didn't even find out about the sleeve for ages.
I'm really glad that I did, though, because it seems to me to be a much better option.
If you want to read it, all my reasons for choosing one over the other are in my diary - you'll have to start way back at the last page, but they're labelled well to help you find your way through. You may not agree with me, but it might give you another perspective.
I have diabetes too, and I had a lot of trouble getting my BGLs to be stable. After about 4 years, I was taking: 1000mg diabex morning and night, 1 Coversyl a day, 1 Karvea a day (these 2 for kidney protection after tests showed I was at high risk of complications there), 3 short-acting insulin injections a day, and 1 triple-injection of long-acting insulin at night.
6 months after the sleeve, all I take is 500mg of diabex morning and night - and my BGLs are so good now that I might not have to continue with that either.
Some people have wonderful success with the lapband, but some have nothing but problems. I needed something that I could do, that would work, and that wouldn't have to do a lot of maintenance on. The sleeve was it for me, and I'm really pleased with my decision.
Best of luck with yours.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Hi From Perth   Hi from Perth EmptySat 10 Jan 2009, 11:08 am

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the forum!
Good on you for weighing up all your options. Whatever you decide to do to achieve your weight loss, you have a sympathetic and welcoming group of people here to support you in your efforts.
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth EmptySat 10 Jan 2009, 10:32 am

Hi Caroline.

Welcome to the forum.

There's a large amount of helpful information on this site, so have a look around. I know before my surgery I was reading everything I could get my hands on! There's people on here who chose the sleeve over the band, but there's also quite a few people who had the band and have had to have the sleeve instead for various reasons.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There is usually someone around who can help you or point you in the right direction for further information.

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
cal2467

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth EmptySat 10 Jan 2009, 10:26 am

Hi, I'm Caroline and obviously new to the forums and website. Trying to decide between band or sleeve. Had my first appointment with Dr Ahmad, then the endoscopy last week. Appointments this week with Simon & Nicki Cummings and I guess I will take it from there.
Stacked on the weight after giving up running and 3 kids. After years of starving myself to stay at a size 14, I struggle these days, now that I'm diabetic and can't seem to keep my bs under control.
My friend had lapbanding years ago and I can't see any difference to her figure, then someone else I know has had it done and is now having problems with solid foods. So hopefully being in touch with all you experience 'sleevers', this will help ease my fears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Perth   Hi from Perth Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Perth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: