AuthorMessage
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyTue 30 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

mapmar wrote:
I think they have made a mistake.... there should have been no prosthesis for the procedure!
You will need to ring the hospital to clarify as they were the ones who sent you the bill wasn't it or the surgeon?

There is a charge for the special staples, and to reload the stapler. The hospital charged me $1655, but my Health Insurance covered this.
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female
Number of posts : 1492
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyTue 30 Aug 2011, 1:32 am

As I was in a Public Hospital there was no extra bills but the anesthetist bill came about 4 weeks after surgery and we were told to expect it from the start. We were also told that everything was included in the initial cost paid up front and there would be no extras except for the anesthetist. It was through the OClinic.
Tash xoxo
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyMon 29 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

My bill for the staples (also called prosthetics) was $49. I don't know if HCF paid any and this was the gap as it was just an extra amount as I was discharged from hospital. I paid $4650 all up including aneathetist and just $150 for my hospital stay. I only have to pay this once a year not every time I go into hospital. I'm pretty sure we have top cover for everything though, maybe this makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyMon 29 Aug 2011, 2:47 pm

I was sent a bill for $8 for the staples (prosthetics) I thought it was a joke.

I went to the hospital to pay it, and it was so low, that the eftpos machine wouldn't accept the payment, so the clerk said not to worry. I have not recieved a bill since. I am with Medibank Private, and apparently they covered all but $8 of the 'prosthetics' procedure. The entire out of pocket expense for me was $5'800.

I have basic hospital cover.
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyMon 29 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

Geez I'm shocked about the staples and glue your surgeons used for your sleeves. My surgeon only sutured the incision for me - he doesn't believe in staples and glue! Ofcourse all I had to pay was $5000 for the whole procedure (I'm with Teachers Health NSW). I've had no problems with my op.
Back to top Go down
qwerty

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyMon 22 Aug 2011, 1:57 am

I paid a hospital bill off in installments as well. So, if nothing else works out fighting it just say you cant afford it and will be paying off in installemts but good look fighting it.

The hospitals do charge separately from the surgeon, so whilst you are pissed with the surgeon they have no idea what the hospital will charge. I would also get the item numbers and look on the medicare site and/or ring medicare as some of them may be covered by medicare.

I know mum had her knee replacement private uninsured and medicare still covered some of the costs. Private insurance only covers the gap between medicare and what the doctirs and hospitals charge

killerbabe82 wrote:
hi tash thanks for the bday wish:)
mel i called surgon and they were no help at all, actually i was very disapointed in them as i paid all up $6500 for sugon, $1500 anathesis and $600 room and $60 X about 6 for dietican and now this bill adds up tp a bloody lot for the sugery when alot of others paid a hell of a lot less.
they just keept saying that it had nothing to do with them becuase it has come from the hospital and not them. said i would have to work it out with the hospital and its nothing to do with them....disspointed!!
so i called hospital 6 times over 3 days and the lady i need to talk to is not back to monday and all they could suggest is write a letter of complaint that i was not given this quote which i should have been giving the max quote of $4000 so i could inculde this into the super fund which paid for the operation so that i wouldnt be left with this big bill.
what anoys me the most is the surgon keept telling me the sleeve is actually cheaper than the band and now they said to me on the phone oh no if you had of had the band that you wouldnt have got this bill WTF ??
anyway thanks guys for the replys hopefully it will all get sorted if not i will be telling them i will pay them at my own pace lol maybe a $1 a week
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptySun 21 Aug 2011, 10:49 pm

thankyou oki i will do that:)
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptySun 21 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

You could give the Health Ombudsman a call - you are meant to be given all costs up front.
Check http://www.abc.net.au/health/consumerguides/stories/2003/02/20/1837237.htm for more information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptySun 21 Aug 2011, 10:31 am

hi tash thanks for the bday wish:)
mel i called surgon and they were no help at all, actually i was very disapointed in them as i paid all up $6500 for sugon, $1500 anathesis and $600 room and $60 X about 6 for dietican and now this bill adds up tp a bloody lot for the sugery when alot of others paid a hell of a lot less.
they just keept saying that it had nothing to do with them becuase it has come from the hospital and not them. said i would have to work it out with the hospital and its nothing to do with them....disspointed!!
so i called hospital 6 times over 3 days and the lady i need to talk to is not back to monday and all they could suggest is write a letter of complaint that i was not given this quote which i should have been giving the max quote of $4000 so i could inculde this into the super fund which paid for the operation so that i wouldnt be left with this big bill.
what anoys me the most is the surgon keept telling me the sleeve is actually cheaper than the band and now they said to me on the phone oh no if you had of had the band that you wouldnt have got this bill WTF ??
anyway thanks guys for the replys hopefully it will all get sorted if not i will be telling them i will pay them at my own pace lol maybe a $1 a week
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptySun 21 Aug 2011, 2:02 am

Killerbabe. Happy Birthday by the way for yesterday. Hope you had a fabulous day with your gorgeous family.
hugs Tash xxx
Back to top Go down
Allure

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptySun 21 Aug 2011, 12:09 am

Hi Killerbabe,

I paid $3100 for my prosthetics. I was quoted about $4000 prior to surgery. My surgeon said it depends how many cartridges of staples he uses so won't know exact figure until after surgery. I was pleasantly surprised to get the bill and see it nearly $1000 less than what I expected.

I paid about $8000 all up and this was including my prosthetics bill.

Maybe your surgeon charged you already for the prosthetics?

How did you go sorting it all out?

Mel
Back to top Go down
Tash
Top Poster
Top Poster
Tash

Female

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Good luck tomorrow sorting this out. What the!
hugs Tash xx
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 9:31 am

thanks guys, guess i will know more tomorrow, really hope its a mistake . thanks heaps for replys, was wondering if there was anyone elce that received such a huge bill
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

I had a prosthetics bill too - but only $800 and the surgeon took that over so I didn't have to pay. It included the staples and the special glue they use to seal the seam.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 8:53 am

I have a feeling I had to pay for my staples as they were not covered by my health fund, but from memory I am sure they were $40 something $$!!
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

yeah dont panic yet!

i also got some bills after the surgery and was going off about it but i only had to take them to medicare and HCF for them to process.

hopefully it will be something like that or a mistake unless youve been given an extra piece that you didnt order for installation-then you will have to demand a refund LOL!!

shelly
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 8:38 am

yes the hospital sent it, i called them but its a public holiday but i will be straight onto them in morning, at the bottom of page it saysbater tissel duuo, fibrin sealent, 5 echelon endo stapler reload, echelon stapler endopath linear cutter. ? weird hey
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 8:16 am

I think they have made a mistake.... there should have been no prosthesis for the procedure!
You will need to ring the hospital to clarify as they were the ones who sent you the bill wasn't it or the surgeon?
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery EmptyWed 17 Aug 2011, 7:51 am

before surgery i got all the quotes, hospital, surgon and anatheist and was told that was all, which was all paid for before surgery, now 11 weeks on i have received a $2500 bill for surgery prosthetics
has anyone elce received a bill out of the blue for this?
i cant call my surgon becuase its a hoilday here but i will defently be calling them tomorrow as i am not happy about it. all up my surgery cost $9000 with this would be 11,500 which was not what i was told as i was told sleeve was alot cheaper than the band as the band had prosthetics and not the sleeve so i am confused?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery   WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

WTF a huge bill 11 weeks after surgery
Page 1 of 1