Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Dumping - has anyone had it ??   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 11:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone, I didnt think sleevers would get dumping but I have heard of the occasional case of it and I was wondering if anyone has had it ??
Tonight I had a few bites of hubbies caramel slice (yes diet is going well - lol) ...and then went for a walk and then came home and felt terrible for a couple of hours...had nausea and just felt horribly weird..what do y'all reckon ??
Catherine
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Gail
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyTue 21 Apr 2009, 7:10 am

Sophie I would be sorry that you haven't experienced dumping, it really isn't pleasant!!!!
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Apr 2009, 11:53 pm

Sad to say, I have never experienced dumping - despite a couple of experiments with the fatty coated skin of KFC!!!!

It really is more associated with bypass procedures - and probably deliberately "desirable" in some cases where some people are completely unable to control sugar / fatty eating addictions without a hideous side effect that will motivate them not to eat these foods. I think that for the sleeve, you do need to have some measure of being able to watch what you put into your stomach. Of course, this may be more of an Australian view, as bypass is considered in the medical literature to be the "Gold Standard" (ie the ultimate surgery to which other operations are compared) in America.
Sophia
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Apr 2009, 1:32 pm

I wouldn't go out of my way to test the theory though. I think some of us can take a bit more than others.
Back to top Go down
Supershrinkme
Supershrinkme

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Apr 2009, 8:57 am

Thanks for your replies.

It seems that once you are sleeved not even consumed fat can stick!
Back to top Go down
vienna
vienna

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 10:38 pm

I have had a couple of other issues with the sleeve (nothing that with time won't cure I am sure) but certainly not this one - thank goodness - so all good from that point of view

Vienna
Back to top Go down
http://www.breakawaytravelwa.com.au
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 8:58 pm

it has happened to me 2 times from eating fatty foods. not nice at all , so I don't eat fatty foods anymore , like that fat from a chop didn't see it for the gravey,lol. one bite did it for me,
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 8:20 am

Hi Super

I've heard of dumping and have experienced it on a couple of occasions, usually after eating something with a really high sugar content for me (hence limit of 1 easter egg this year!!) Really fatty foods can also cause issues with some people. My symptons were, breaking out in a sweat, mouth watering and feeling really nauseous and then having to make a quick dash for the bathroom as I'd then have to go really, really quickly.

Its not as common with the sleeve as we still have our complete digestive tract whereas with the bypass they have short circuited the intestines by around 3 foot or so.

Now I just try to avoid things that I know may cause an issue. I'm sure some of the others will come along and give you their opinions on this as well soon.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
Supershrinkme
Supershrinkme

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-17

PostSubject: Dumping   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 8:14 am

Hi All

Im new and have made the decision to get the sleev. I went to my GP the other day and he told me to look into a complication called dumping. :[img]http://sm

He said that people had this issue with Gastric Bypass and it was where everything they ate was crapped immediately out, a terrible problem. Is this something any of the sleevers have had or heard of?
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 6:07 am

I had it several times, a couple after relatively high fat meals (though nothing compared to what I used to have), but mostly after something high sugar. I honestly can't remember if that was on an empty stomach or not.
But
It hasn't happened to me for ages, and I have to say that I've eaten heaps of sugar over the last couple of weeks, too.
So maybe with some of us, it stops after a time? Or maybe I've just been lucky lately, I don't know.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Gut Less
Gut Less

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 4:51 am

Ah, yes *penny drops*, empty stomach is a key factor for me too.

Fortunately I don't have to do any toilet stops - just dizzy etc, and can at least tell myself 'this will pass soon'.

Also, of course, learn to avoid the situations/triuggers!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 4:25 am

It is considered pretty rare and then only mild dumping can occur with a sleeve. I would HATE to experence bad dumping *LOL* Only sweet things can trigger it with me. Now I worked this out now it might not work for others. I ONLY react to concentrated sugar when eaten on an empty stomach. I can eat a bit of cake fine. I can have a bit of ice cream fine. Things that cause a problem a lollies as in snakes, you know those lollies that are pure sugar, no fat no chocolate. I ate half a dozen of those on an empty stomach and it felt like sun stroke, shakes dizzey nausea sweats horrible feeling. room sinning want to pass out. Yet I can have half a dozen fantails no problem. Same goes for those alcipops you know breezers coolers. I can have one with a meal or just after I have eaten BUT have one on an empty stomach and wham so sick. I fear I would have the same reaction to sugar fruit juices, you know the ones that are not 100% natural juice with no added sugar. I just have not risked drinking one. No loss tho as I do not like putting rubbish in my body. So says somebody who likes a alcipop *LOL*

Now again this might not work for all and especially those who react to fat , but making sure you have a little fat with that sugar tends to stop the reaction, as in icecream. The only time I came close to dumping but did not go full on was a apple slice, which I had picked because it was 90% fruit and 10% pastry BUT the apple was so loaded with sugar even 2 tiny half tea spoons gave me the creeps and backed off and stopped eating it. Usally something with pastry is fine.

I would suggest if you want to try a lolly or two then have it straight after a meal.

applesauce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 3:51 am

*puts hand up*

I am seeing the dietican on friday. I have had this too. I shall ask lots of questions and let you know. In the mean time I found this article

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/173594-overview

I didn't know what was wrong until I contacted dietician with syptoms including a few accidents!1

Unfortunately, I didn't remember what I had eaten near to the time ecept on one occassion as that was when I started making the correlation. I am recording how I feel after I eat now.

Alot of literature says you dont get dumping with the sleeve and post op I was constipated for days, I had stopped my regular coloxyl I have taken for years. I suffer from constipation badly due to epilepsy medicine. However, having then stopped them again, I was swinging between sever constipation and then dumping so am back on them and will hopefully work out what the enemy foods are.

The above article says you can do and explains the different dumps
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 1:13 am

Hi Gut Less

Yes I experience 'dumping' but not as bad as you by the sounds of it. Mine happens after fatty foods - don't really get the sweaty nauseous feeling just have to run to the toilet!!!!!
Had a small piece of bacon the other day with an egg - never again I say - but not everyone suffers with it.
I don't actually mind because my 'fatty thinking' brain thinks its getting rid of the 'fat'!!!! (LOL)
Hugs Jilly
Back to top Go down
Gut Less
Gut Less

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Dealing with Dumping ...   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 12:54 am

Hiya

At first I was not aware that the shakes, sweats and nausea I was feeling after eating things that are too sweet or fatty was dumping.

One time, I had all the symptoms and thought I was going to faint, had to call my mother to look after the kids while I lay down. Then I though "OMG, I'm pregnant". The horror.

Thankfully, I wasn't/am not ... it was "just dumping".

On Sat I had a juice and lemon slice thingy - and had to recover by lying down.

Does anyone else experience this, if so, how do you manage it?

I have checked out the other dumping threads, but interested in people's experiences.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyThu 27 Nov 2008, 11:20 pm

I am not sleeved yet, but I met with the dietican the other day and she told me once I have the op not to drink for 15 minutes before I eat, and after eating not for 30 minutes so as to not 'flush' the food through your stomach too quickly which would make you hungry again sooner.

I know that other people have been told the same time frame, but for other reasons.
Back to top Go down
kalgirl
Part of the furniture
kalgirl

Female
Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyThu 27 Nov 2008, 11:19 pm

there's a pretty good thread below in the post-op section called "Dumping - has anyone had it?"
that the old hands have contributed to.

i was told not to drink half an hour before and after food...

and my advice would be if you eat that 1 teaspoon too many or too fast during a meal at our stage koonta...DON'T try and flush it down/away with liquid.
it just makes everything worse!
Back to top Go down
koontakintay_1

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyThu 27 Nov 2008, 11:02 pm

Hi All,

I had my first follow up appointment with the dietician after having my surgery on the 12.11.08. I have now gone on to pureed foods, but the Dietician mentioned that if i drink with my meal or eat lots of sugar I will get "Dumping" ???? I hadn't heard of this with the sleeve, only with the gastric bypass, as essentially I was told byt the surgeon that the stomach functions do not change after having the sleeve.

Has anyone experienced "dumping" after having their sleeve and what was the cause for you ???

Did other people get told not to drink 10 minutes before you eat and not to drink with food and for 30 minutes after your meal ???

Thanks for all the wonderful advice everyone !!!!

Koonta
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptySat 25 Oct 2008, 2:16 am

Thanks for that info, really interesting....I think my body is so deprived of sugar the last few months that it didnt know what had hit it, it a good incentive for just having a little sweet treat every now and then, maybe spiking the blood sugar levels suddenly after having them quite stable on the high protein low carb is just too much fo r me at the moment, have been VERY good girl today as a result !!!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 8:06 pm

Hi everyone
I have experienced some symptoms which could be related to this, a couple of times after eating sugar, and once after eating fat. Not as severely as you guys have reported, though.
And it seems as though both Steph and Apple are right - I googled it, and found a couple of different sites (mayo clinic in the US was one) that described it. I think Wikipedia has done it well, though, so here's what they said:
Gastric dumping syndrome
Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying, happens when the lower end of the small intestine, the jejunum, fills too quickly with undigested food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins during or right after a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.
It is speculated that "early" dumping is associated with difficulty digesting fats while "late" dumping is associated with carbohydrates.[citation needed]
Rapid loading of the small intestine with hypertonic stomach contents can lead to rapid entry of water into the intestinal lumen. Osmotic diarrhea, distension of the small bowel (leading to crampy abdominal pain), and hypovolemia can result.
In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid "dumping" of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream. This type of hypoglycemia is referred to as "alimentary hypoglycemia".
Causes
Dumping syndrome is most common in patients with certain types of stomach surgery, such as a gastrectomy or gastric bypass surgery, that allow the stomach to empty rapidly. Dumping syndrome can also occur as a result of complications after a cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal).[1]
Patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, a rare disorder involving extreme peptic ulcer disease and gastrin-secreting tumors in the pancreas, may also have dumping syndrome.
Dumping is also common for esophageal cancer patients who have had an esophagectomy; surgery to remove the cancerous portion of their esophagus. The stomach is pulled into the chest and attached to what remains of the esophagus, leaving a short digestive tract. Both early and late dumping syndrome can occur in the same patient.
Finally, patients with connective tissue conditions such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome can experience "late" dumping as a result of decreased motility.
Treatment
...People who have gastric dumping syndrome need to eat several small meals a day that are low in carbohydrates, especially omitting simple sugars (candy, desserts, ice cream), and should drink liquids between meals, not with them...
Hope this helps, but you can just google for more info.
Chris
Back to top Go down
charmaz
charmaz

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 2:57 pm

if it helps I can confirm that sugar does produce a sugar rush, where you feel nausea, faint and even violently ill. I get it all the time....

The other thing that gives it to me is taking fish oil tablets on an empty stomach. I wont touch the fish oil anymore cause I feel so ill I feel like I need to be taken away by ambulance....well almost....I hate to be gross but I had to regurgitate it to make myself feel better. All the oil from the tablet was sitting in the bottom of my stomach.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 12:43 pm

then what they call dumping in bi-pass patients has to be something different as it is caused by what I said undigested food entering the intestine where it was not intended to be. the sugar passes to fast though the walls of the inestine producing that rush / ill sensation. or I am one very confused cookie :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 12:17 pm

Apple, I had it confirmed by 2 doctors that what happened to me was dumping syndrome.

Dumping syndrome classically develops after gallbladder surgery, although it may also occur after other abdominal operations, such as ulcer surgery or surgery for severe reflux. Less frequently, it may be seen in people born with unusually small stomachs and, even more rarely, in those with no stomach abnormalities at all.

I had surgery for reflux!

steph
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 12:14 pm

it is physcially impossible ti experence dumping with a sleeve. dumping is when undigested food passes from the stomach into a part of the intestine that was not designed to take it. this can ONLY happen when you have a bi-pass as they join a section of your intestine that was never meant to have food that undigested enter it to your stomach.

What quiet a few people with sleeves experence in particular those who are or prone to diabetise is a reaction similar to the sensation of dumping when they take a big sugar or fat hit. More sugar it seems. We put this down mainly how careful for weeks we have been with our diets health consious etc, how small quanties etc we fit in there now and when you go and throw what to our systems seems a huge amount of sugar and in some cases fat it goes into shock. I experenced this with an icecream about 5 weeks out from surgery then a few months out with maple syrup on pancakes. I had shakes and felt violently ill dizzy horrible just out and terrible. I had to pick the batter off fish the oil was just to much grossed me out, but did not give me the shakes as such.

If you want something similar to compaire it to think of any time you have ever done diet that removed certain food groups from your diet like atkiens for a decent length of time and how rotton you felt trying to eat a bit of bread again afterward bloated and gassy and horrible. It just shows what our body lives with every day and thinks is normal until you get use to not having it in your diet UNTIL you ad it back in one hit hehehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 12:07 pm

Hi Kittycat,

It is pretty rare but I have had it twice. Too much sugar causes it.
I got extreme cramping in my stomach where I was doubled over and couldn't straighten up and felt like I had diareah but couldn't do anything, then got the shakes, dizzy, clammy and perspiring. Thought I was going to faint so went and lay down on the couch with my feet elevated and no sooner had I dont that and I needed to vomit. My daughter found me on the floor of the toilet with my head in the bowl. It's a really, really horrible, scarey thing and like I said is caused from excessive sugar intake.

steph
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Dumping - has anyone had it ??   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 11:04 am

Hi everyone, I didnt think sleevers would get dumping but I have heard of the occasional case of it and I was wondering if anyone has had it ??
Tonight I had a few bites of hubbies caramel slice (yes diet is going well - lol) ...and then went for a walk and then came home and felt terrible for a couple of hours...had nausea and just felt horribly weird..what do y'all reckon ??
Catherine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dumping Syndrome
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3