Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyThu 30 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

Hi Teeli

I am heading for my third anniversary with my sleeve.

I still don't get hungry and I have never had dumping syndrome!

The only thing I get is reflux, which is well controlled as long as I take my medication every morning. Small price to pay really for what I have done to my body over the past 40 years.

Wishing you all the best with your journey.
Back to top Go down
Teeli

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyThu 30 Aug 2012, 8:00 am

Thanks for that Trishah, it is so good to have people who will take the time to help me understand all this stuff!

Sugar isn't a big deal for me..I don't have a very sweet tooth. And, I don't think I have "head hunger" either... when I am hungry, my stomach growls.I think that's pretty well indicative of true hunger, right?

I'm lucky too in that I don't think I have any cravings as such either.I mean I never have an overwhelming temptation to eat any particular thing.I have always just looked on food as fuel... before being banded, and when I was fit and moving a lot, I could eat just about anything, it was just refueling.These days, I am hungry to the point of a noisy tum, but I can't seem to eat the things that would fill me up , like meat, chicken, fish etc.About the only thing I don't have trouble with is weetbix and oatmeal! But who wants to live on just that?

I guess the dumping had me worried because as I understand the term, it refers to violent and explosive bowel motions-right? If I am filling up on high fibre mush like weetbix and oatmeal, then I will really be in trouble!If, on the other hand , once I am sleeved, I can eat more protein, then I should be ok.

This is all really very complex, isn't it! I realise we get from the tools as much as we put in, but for me, following the rules for the band just gets me reflux, sliming and pain.I really want to truly understand the sleeve and the things I will need to do etc, to make it work, and therefore not have another failure.
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyThu 30 Aug 2012, 7:26 am

Teeli I get dumping if I eat too much sugar...not a bad thing but doc says it will pass over time.

I do get hungry and a few others I have spoken to also still feel hunger but it is greatly reduced and most days I dont feel hunger at all but be aware you will still feel cravings and head hunger. It is not a mirical fix but neither is bypass and you will still have cravings and head hunger with it too
Back to top Go down
Teeli

Female

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyThu 30 Aug 2012, 6:36 am

Thanks Kateh and Lizzie...So, it seems that the dreaded "dumping" may not happen, and that hunger is controlled with the loss of the grehlin sections during sleeving. That's good to know.

Before being banded, I really didn't have any food issues. I have farmed most of my life and worked with animals etc, very strenuous work and I always burned up the fuel, so to speak. Once I retired and then became ill with 3 different types of arthritis, so I couldn't be as active, then the weight piled on. Now that I am banded,and along with all the misery and issues I am having , I am also HUNGRY . Before banding, I could eat when hungry but that wasn't so often- certainly I didn't overeat. Now, though, I am hungry a lot of the time, and I think it is because I have trouble eating enough protein, everything gets stuck so easily. Loosening the band makes me hungrier and I can eat more- tightening it almost stops me eating at all. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, somehow.

That's why I am interested in the dumping and/or appetite control with sleeving.

Thank you for your insights.
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyThu 30 Aug 2012, 5:08 am

Hi Teeli, I'm not the full bottler on "dumping syndrome" but I do know early in my sleeve journey I experienced symptoms that could have quiet easily have been dumping!
In regards to the ghrelin gland thingys like lizzie said my surgeon told me they are cut out with most of the stomach pouch & can take 6 months to regrow, if they regrow!! I am so far one Im one of the lucky ones & 10 months out havnt experienced hunger. But have to learn to reconize my reflux symptoms as not being hunger & take meds not food to quell them lol!!
Back to top Go down
Liz
Part of the furniture
Liz

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2012-06-28

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyWed 29 Aug 2012, 9:34 pm

Hi Teeli from my reading I did before I had the sleeve done I believe you are right and that dumping happens with the bypass surgery rather than the sleeve.

With the sleeve the area of the stomach that produces gremlin is removed and therefore should reduce the feelings of hunger. I had my sleeve done on 17th August and so far I have had no hunger so is working for me. I have read other posts where people have said they have felt hungry. I am not sure if this would be just head hunger or whether they actually are feeling hungry.

I am sure there will be other fellow sleevers who can give you more info.

Liz
Back to top Go down
Teeli

Female

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome EmptyWed 29 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

I keep hearing about this, in connection with the Sleeve. I always thought it was something that happened to the Bypass(Roux-en-Y)patients, not to Sleevers. As I understand it, the Bypass means the section of stomach that deals with sugar and fat is , well, bypassed, so that is why Dumping occurs. So, does it happen to Sleevers too?

Also, grehlin is not produced in Sleevers, right? So that takes care of hunger?...Why I ask about that is because my(ex) surgeon says that I must only take in around 800 calories per day with the band, which is difficult, because I am actually hungrier with the band than before banding.Not that I keep it down, and there is always pain and sliming if I do manage to, but it seems to me if the grehlin is not produced then it must be way easier to live on such a small amount of food daily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dumping Syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome Empty

Back to top Go down

Dumping Syndrome
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: