Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Dumping - has anyone had it ??   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyFri 24 Oct 2008, 11:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone, I didnt think sleevers would get dumping but I have heard of the occasional case of it and I was wondering if anyone has had it ??
Tonight I had a few bites of hubbies caramel slice (yes diet is going well - lol) ...and then went for a walk and then came home and felt terrible for a couple of hours...had nausea and just felt horribly weird..what do y'all reckon ??
Catherine
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 6:04 pm

Applesauce, have to agree with what you are saying.

Isn't dumping syndrome association with gastric by-pass??
There is no where for the food to dump with a sleeve, we still have all our bits!!

I am nearly 8 weeks post-op have had no trouble eating anything, no nausea, no vomiting or near vomiting, nothing Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 542174 Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 542174
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 1:03 pm

I am afraid your dietician needs to read a few medical text books because dumping is a physical reaction to the removal of certain bits of your body caused food to dump into the intestine. NONE of those bits are removed during a sleeve. It is a pet peeve of mine lazy people in the "medical" fields spreading such rubbish. Yes you can experence a reaction just like anybody else who has modified their diet to a great degree when re introducing those missing foods it has NIL NADA NOTHING to do with the sleeve as such but a modification in our diets. You get the same reacion if you have been on atkins or any other modified diet and for heavens sake no idiot tries to label it dumping. Just because we had surgery just doesnt mean lazy ill informed people in the "medical" fields get to start magiclly adding bits to the removed lists of organs in order to come up with a fake side effect.

I swear to god somebody is going to call the common cold a side effect of the sleeve next the rate people try and call every little damn thing that happens to them a side effect of the sleeve.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 11:25 am

I don't have probs with sweet foods (I'd read that about dumping with the bypass, nasty one..) but I have had a few moments like Kyles and bushgirl - I had a vegetarian dish (thinking it was plainer than other takeaway dishes...) and broke out into a sweat, almost puked, really yukky. I'm now wary of anything too spicy.

Then the 1st time I tried KFC the same thing happened (I actually tried it again, thinking it might be a fluke but no up it came, I promise never to eat that again urgh).

But I can enjoy a small ice cream or a piece of choc occasionally without any ill effects, so happy days. I just eat milder dishes when I have stir frys etc.
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyWed 03 Feb 2010, 8:41 pm

After having a pretty bad experience on frozen custard (admittedly I was only a two weeks post op and probably shouldnt have tried it at that stage) where I felt so vile, shakes, heart racing and just wanted to puke all in a space of an hour, it hit me after about 5 minutes of eating it tho...I spoke to my dietician and she actually told me that they cannot rule out the dumping syndrome as she is hearing more and more from other dieticians around the country...technically it shouldnt happen with a sleeve but too many reports are coming in so its something that is being 'investigated' in Australia??

Last edited by Kyles on Wed 03 Feb 2010, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell...lol)
Back to top Go down
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyWed 03 Feb 2010, 11:18 am

this sounds really bad, but one of the reasons i chose the sleeve was for the dumping syndrome.
Im a terrible sweet tooth and my Dr-the one thats doing the op, told me that you still get dumping syndrome with the sleeve,not just with the bypass. I originally looked into bypass but he suggested the sleeve.
This once again probably sounds bad but im hoping i get a bad case of dumping syndrome so it puts me off eating that kinda stuff. Afterall i am having this surgery to lose weight, i want to break all my bad eating habits!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Dec 2009, 2:47 am

it is so much worse at liquids and puree stage you have been on optifast for a few weeks then on a diet that isnt made up of rubbish there is NO food as such in your stomach then you put chocolate in it by letting it totaly melt in your mouth. It is liquid sugar rush to the max. Again not dumping but oh does it make you feel awful. It is just your body rejecting high concentrations of sugar or fat because it is not use to it.

applesuace
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyMon 28 Dec 2009, 12:09 am

Some people have mentioned sugar is a trigger, others full cream dairy, and whatnot... for me it tends to be reallly HOT chilli. I had my fav thai dish a few weeks back (5 chilli hotness- the hottest you can get) and it wasn't straight away but later that night- KAPOW... needless to say I prob won't eat it much again, except for a teaspoon with other dishes!
Back to top Go down
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture
The Lady Helena

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptySun 27 Dec 2009, 11:46 pm

Just picking up this thread again...had an experience yesterday at the cinema (Alvin and the Chipmunks...the things we do for our kids!) Although technically on purees I figured that as Malteesers melt away...so I had a small packet and then nausea, sweats, racing heart. Until I searched here for dumping I had no idea that you could experience dumping with the sleeve. Anyone else experience this?
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 12:29 pm

I know full cream milk does this to me at the best of times.......Sory I know TMI

I did a weightloss study with the Uni of Adelaide a few yrs ago I was on something very similar to Optifast called Kickstart - after being on these for 2 months then going back to normal food, anything I ate made me sick for around 2 weeks after the study, made it very interesting at work when you are presenting training all day!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 10:28 am

Guys you can not experence a true dumping with a sleeve as all the bits that they remove that causes dumping are not removed with a sleeve. BUT having said that we make massive changes in our diet and can react very much like dumping when we eat foods our bodies no longer are use to. I can not tolerate lollies, even 2 lolly snakes and shakes sweats nausea I am shocking. Same goes for real coke, did that by accident a few weeks ago. The emptier your stomach is and the easier absorbed what you react to will determine how bad you react. I have got no better over time with this BUT if I wanted to have something like that now and had it with a meal it would be at least better if that makes sense. I eat chocolate in small amounts with no problems at all. It is liquid glucose type stuff that super absorbs that does me in. BUT then I am diabetic so that mkes it a lot worse as well.

I honestly would not go worring about dumping when having a sleeve just be careful with high sugar or high fat food to start with and make sure you have it with OTHER food not on its own just until your body lets you know how you will feel. People who have been on low carb diets then go back to carbs experence similar things.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 8:23 am

Oh you poor darling. I had heard that people can have funny reactions to full fat foods and some medications after gall bladder removal.

Mine was taken out in January and I'm one of the lucky ones. Nothing has changed except I feel so much better without the damned thing.

Hannykins you'll be very well versed in correct dieting procedure once you're sleeved if you're having to watch things now. It will stand you in good stead for post op.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
hannykins
hannykins

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 8:01 am

Sounds a little like when your gall bladder comes out....I have to be soooooo careful! I drank some full fat milk, just a few sips that my son left and i couldnt get to the toilet fast enough.
Back to top Go down
swtlatina19@hotmail.com

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyThu 30 Apr 2009, 10:36 pm

I had an episode of dumping the other day... It was not pretty...I ate a tuna salad. maybe 4 bites and then I started gettting nasueas, sweaty and I had to dash to the bathroom. Once I used the restroom I felt better. It was not pretty episode...
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyThu 30 Apr 2009, 3:07 pm

It sounds like it to me Rosie.
Back to top Go down
Rosie
Rosie

Female
Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2009-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyThu 30 Apr 2009, 11:49 am

Ok, opinion needed please........ Is this dumping............??

Today I lashed out and bought myself a Caramelized Coffee Fusion (flavoured coffee blended with ice and milk). I had drunk about 5/6 mouthfuls (maybe 10 minutes later) when I felt a wave of nausea, claminess and my heart felt like it raced. I felt so awful I had to leave the shop I was in and go to sit down. Needless to say I tossed the rest of the drink!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2009, 3:18 pm

There was a house episode about sorbitol causing the runs, wasns't there?
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2009, 5:37 am

Did the same thing myself Ricecake years ago with Zero Mints and Sugar-Free Lifesavers (not sure if they have either of these anymore). Thought I was being very good having sugar free. Excess consumption of anything containing Sorbitol will give you the (possibly liquidy) farts and runs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2009, 5:26 am

rightio, one to make you laugh...

I thought I was having this, and as you know breathe gets a bit smelly so I was on the extra sugra free gum like there was no tomorrow. I didn't realise it gave you the poos and tummy grumbles which I thought was dumping. Since giving up the gum, the problem is sorted! I am so silly Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 595690
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2009, 4:52 am

Don't think that is dumping Lib. Think that is probably just a post-surgery funny tummy.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2009, 4:18 am

Ok I am confused. I thought I was experiencing dumping but I am not sure. I haven't got the shakes or the sweats, I've had the mouth water, but to me that feels like I am going to be sick.

But I am getting the terrible runs, and they happen right here right now - no accidents yet!! Thank god!

Is that dumping? I haven't really noticied what they come after, but once its doen, its done, but it can happen several times a day. I am still only on fluids, so its not greasy or sugary foods causing it. Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 697586
Back to top Go down
ozpatty
ozpatty

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Apr 2009, 1:17 pm

Thanks girls........
You wouldn't believe it, but about an hour after I posted it had finally arrived.... :[img]http://sm
What a relief...
I will check up on that thread too...........thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wTMLGtu/
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Apr 2009, 6:30 am

there is a thread based on bowel movements or the lack of them.
Please have a look you willl see that almost everyone has something to add
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Apr 2009, 6:22 am

Hi Trish

It was about a week for me before I had movement at the station again. Its actually another of things that you may notice changes as well. You may find that you go less frequently now as you are no longer eating large quantities. I know I have (TMI here but I used to go 2/3 times a day now it seems to be only every other day). Benefibre will help you along though.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
ozpatty
ozpatty

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Apr 2009, 5:54 am

Sorry to sound grose but......
One question I need to ask while on the subject of dumping,
When was the first time you did a pooh after the op ?
Im a little concerned as it's 1 week today and still nothing has come out yet, except for the air raid horns.....
I've been sprinkling a little benefibre on my vegie and protein mush hopefully to help it along.
Any advice ?????
Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 697586
Trish
Back to top Go down
http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wTMLGtu/
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Apr 2009, 10:15 pm

Hi Gail!
I know, if I experienced it I would be whinging, now I am whinging cos I haven't experienced it!!! Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 595690

I may not have eaten that liquorice last night as well *grin*
Sophia
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Apr 2009, 7:10 am

Sophie I would be sorry that you haven't experienced dumping, it really isn't pleasant!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome   Dumping Syndrome - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dumping Syndrome
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next