Jay Jay
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lillygirl

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Dumping Syndrome!!?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptySat 14 May 2011, 10:50 am

Thats really interesting about the intake of sugar after surgery. I was a serious sugar fiend before the surgery and it was a wonder that i hadnt got diabetes! Anyway after surgery my cravings disappeared but if i eat marshmellow, hokey pokey or caramel squares I get a killer headache the next day...
Great aversion therapy I say!
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyFri 13 May 2011, 11:47 am

I found that this was happening a fair bit at the beginning - asked the surgeon what was going on and he said dumping - I was surprised as I didn't think it happened to us either. I found a great site zand wrote a post on dumping which you can find in the post op problem area. After that I was fine until I had half a home made caramel slice - it just about killed me... argh!! Really good to use as aversion therapy!! Never again... never, ever again!
Check out hte barriatric site has great ideas for post op.
Good luck every one xoxox
Pippa

Last edited by pippa on Fri 13 May 2011, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post!)
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyFri 13 May 2011, 11:46 am

I found that this was happening a fair bit at the beginning - asked the surgeon what was going on and he said dumping - I was surprised as I didn't think it happened to us either. I found a great site zand wrote a post on dumping which you can find in the post op problem area. After that I was fine until I had half a home made caramel slice - it just about killed me... argh!! Really good to use as aversion therapy!! Never again... never, ever again!
Check out hte barriatric site has great ideas for post op.
Good luck every one xoxox
Pippa
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyFri 13 May 2011, 8:40 am

So true Kati, I vowed never to eat another snake! Well that lasted two days and just had a little sweet today...AAAH!!
No wonder I needed the sleeve! Jay Jay
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 2:38 pm

I get this too - feels awful, and I get quite nauseated and clammy. Horrible feeling! I always vow never to eat sweet things again - ever. Until the next time.
So good to read other people's experiences.
Back to top Go down
rowdy
Part of the furniture
rowdy

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 2:22 pm

I had a similar episode 2 weeks ago...where I ate sugary dessert on an empty stomach (also a no no) only a mod amount then I got shaky etc...but on top of that 1 - 1 1/2 hrs later had shocking loose bowels...spoke with a doctor (as I also work in a hospital) and he reckons cos sugar is large molecule attracts heaps of fluid into intestines which can make very loose bowels...I alos thought this was just a bypass issue...but apparently not...yay for us

Dumping Syndrome!!?? 595690 Dumping Syndrome!!?? 427584 Dumping Syndrome!!?? 81722
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 12:31 pm

It does happen to sleevers when we eat a lot of sugar on an empty stomach.
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? EmptyThu 12 May 2011, 11:36 am

Had an awful experience last night at work. Hadnt eaten for some time (it was 3 in the morning) and ended up eating about 10 snakes. Naughty I know. Shortly after maybe about 20 to 30 mins I started to feel very unwell. Lightheaded shaky, clammy and sweaty. Had to lie down so I didnt fall over. As I work in a hospital the girls checked my BSL and it was only 2! One of the Drs on said if your not used to eating a lot of sugar, and then you eat lots your body has basically gone into overdrive and " dumped" massive excess of insulin to cope with the sugar that its not used to. Otherwise known as Dumping Syndrome. This causes you to have very low blood sugars and feel so unwell.

Was very suprised to have this happen and thought it was something that people with gastric bypass suffered with not the sleeve. My journey is nine months in and this is the first negative side effect that has really concerned me. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Might it just be a one off due to the night shift as well??
Thanks all Jay Jay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dumping Syndrome!!??   Dumping Syndrome!!?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dumping Syndrome!!??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: