Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?

Go down 
+25
LittleMissCee
Kell
alice.r
jessied
Wannabehealthy
kazmac33
Mer
AliKat
D'Girlz
Fraggle
mapmar
Puppyweeble
redrooter99
Paity10
killerbabe82
Buzz25
smileykylie
*Lib*
Big Softie
Isis
Caz
didles
Janette
MummaCass
SassyMummy
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm asking because there's a friend I have who's a few weeks post-op and is going through this at the moment.

For whatever reason, she cannot access the forum, and so I'm wanting to see if I can gather some stories for her (particularly those with happy endings, where people moved on from that "OMG!" feeling and are now satisfied with their decision)...

Anyone care to share?

Thanks so much guys. I think she could really use it!
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/

AuthorMessage
Puppyweeble

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-05-30

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

I had my surgery last Friday the 10th. On the 12th I woke up and thought God what have I done?!
As I have told not a soul about the operation except for my husband their was no-one to tell about how I was feeling.
(I wanted my Mum!)
The thing is its done, there's no going back, no reversal, no return so I decided lets just move through the next two weeks of liquid diet and make the best of what everyone who has been before on any forum, website, webcast, youtube site or anywhere says is the best thing they have ever done.
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

only the first 3 days ....

well especially the second day when i wet the bed cause i had to cough and vomit :(
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Paity10
Part of the furniture
Paity10

Female
Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyMon 06 Jun 2011, 7:55 am

I did, when I woke from Recovery and was in a bit of pain... Then having an really bad episode of Heart Burn because of taking Tablets Whole!!!!

But now that i am 4 days post-op, i know that i've made the right decision...
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyMon 06 Jun 2011, 7:00 am

i am going through this now, i feel so weak, so over soup and feel like i will never be able to eat properly again. i been having these pains in my left side like a stich pain and dont know why, its better when i lay flat then sit up.but i read the comment about it getting better and it give me hope that in a month or so it will be me reasuring people that this horrible feeling of just wanting to be and feel normal again does return.
Back to top Go down
Buzz25

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Oh hell yes I surely did!   Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

From the first moment I woke up in hospital until about day 8 I felt like I was in hell. Actually, form the first moment I woke up to about day 4 I was in hell and I kept saying (to my partner, brother, surgeon, nurses, mum, anyone who would listen) "If I knew I would feel like this I would NOT have had this surgery".
Here I am, now, 15 days out and I'm feeling much better. The horrid reflux (I thought I was having a heart attack!!) has stopped, I have managed to poo without feeling like I'm passing a brick and today I ate a quarter of a pack of 2 minute noodles (cooked for 4 minutes, no juice) which was a lot tastier than yoghurt and porridge (porridge doesn't sit very well either).
Anyway, thats my experience..
PS- would I do t again? ABSOLUTELY!! I Want to be THIN!!
Back to top Go down
Buzz25

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Oh hell yes I surely did!   Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

From the first moment I woke up in hospital until about day 8 I felt like I was in hell. Actually, form the first moment I woke up to about day 4 I was in hell and I kept saying (to my partner, brother, surgeon, nurses, mum, anyone who would listen) "If I knew I would feel like this I would NOT have had this surgery".
Here I am, now, 15 days out and I'm feeling much better. The horrid reflux (I thought I was having a heart attack!!) has stopped, I have managed to poo without feeling like I'm passing a brick and today I ate a quarter of a pack of 2 minute noodles (cooked for 4 minutes, no juice) which was a lot tastier than yoghurt and porridge (porridge doesn't sit very well either).
Anyway, thats me experience..
PS- would I do t again? ABSOLUTELY!! I Want to be THIN!!
Back to top Go down
smileykylie
Part of the furniture
smileykylie

Female
Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

1. Had a reaction to the anesthetic... was sick for the first 2 days in hosp ... thought Oh great I'm going to vomit for the rest of my life, but I got better and then over it.

2. Only asked for 1 week off work thinking, "Yeah I'll be fine, I only work behind a desk", had to take another week off just because I was tired and pushed myself too much the first week... 2nd week was spent resting ... It worked and I got better and then over it

3. Was only eating a few teaspoons of food per sitting and was panicked that that was all I was going to eat forever, but of coarse I can eat normally now (well you know what I mean... I can eat whatever I want just can't eat alot at once!!!)

4. My husband is overweight as well. I think seeing me struggle/cursing I couldn't eat the first few months has turned him off the surgery but you know what... I don't care, I love him for him and if surgery isn't for him then so be it... I wouldn't have believed 12 months ago I would be 85 kilos but with struggle has come success!!!!

So Yes the first few months are hard to deal with but I didn't just jump into this, I knew there was going to be some things I had to get my head around, Now I am 60 kilos lighter and am loving the NEW me (well most of the time...hahaha!)

Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 1:49 am

THanks so much guys. Lib, I already passed your blog along to her... I hope she finds some comfort in it.

Her diet looks a lot more restrictive than what my dr is putting me on post-op too (I think about 3-ish weeks was when she was finally allowed pureed foods... whereas the info I got from Dr Greenslade will allow me to move on to that on DAY 3 or 4, depending on how I'm feeling). I'm sure not really eating anything for all those weeks would not have been kind to her emotions either.

I'm hoping she can feel better soon... because she's lovely. I wish I could be there for her more... but I don't live nearby and I also haven't had my sleeve yet so have no practical advice to offer.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 1:06 am

Oh god yes. Did I ever. Show your friend my blog its all in there :P
Back to top Go down
Big Softie

Female
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 12:51 am

Background first - when I had my band the lowest I got to was 112kg, this was only due to being sick & starving myself.

My OMG moment came when I stalled at the same weight after having my sleeve. I kept thinking I was destined to never get past that weight even with the sleeve.

I am now past it by 6kg which although fantastic, I now have OMG moments thinking I will never get to double digits. I love never feeling hungry, I love the weight loss but if I am absolutely honest with you (and myself) I have these feelings often.

For me it stems from failing with the band (or it failing me) and not seeing results like others do. Having dropped 17kg, I would have expected to drop 2 dress sizes but I have only dropped 1 so far. This is more about my "expectations" not being met which then casts doubt on everything else.

For me, it's still a major learning curve of mind & body.

Z
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Yup, like Caz says, I'm sure you overlook any regrets once the weight starts falling. I personally had no regrets at all, but I found things got easier and less restrictive after the first 8 weeks or so. Now I'm 7 months out and I can eat and drink anything (just in smaller amounts) and so my life isn't restricted by the sleeve at all. It is a million times better than this time a year ago!!

Support your friend to persevere and I'm sure she will soon be happy, healthy and regret-free :)
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 11:30 pm

Occasionally I want to eat more than I can - then I think differently and celebrate the fact that I can't eat more!!!

Once the weight comes off and you feel healthier and happier, it is easy to overlook any potential regrets, I promise!
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture
didles

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

I did have those moments and although I am happy still do albeit not often. My first was my first night home I was in pain and couldn't get and pain killers in had a good cry about it.

I do sometime now when I can only fit 3 mouthfuls in like last night after being in hospital I wanted a steak so I got a really small piece cooked it to perfection and 4 mouthful and comments for a friends new partner about how little I ate, was most likely the glass of wine I had before dinner, but lets just say my dog had a great dinner. Those moments are hard, and it does boil down to my love of good foods, which I am working on.

For me now I am trying to put back on 2 of the 5 I lost in hospital (I am at 60 now) and I am trying so hard but it's not working although enjoying the chocolate.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

I never had one of those moments, I was very very happy with what I had done.

Can't believe where I have come, and never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would be a Size 10. I have been at goal now 10 months, loving it. Life is great! I am fit and healthy and thats why I had the sleeve.

The first few weeks can be challenging, but tell your friend to hang it there, she will love her new sleeve.

Back to top Go down
MummaCass
Part of the furniture
MummaCass

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Hi SassyMummy, I had a few moments at the beginning where I doubted my decision and wondered if it was the right thing.. probably not so far as regret though... but those moments are long gone and it soon enough becomes a new normal. By 3 months things should be better for your friend.. after all it can't be undone. Once your friend starts to see the great results any doubts will probably be fast forgotten.
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female

PostSubject: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 EmptyThu 02 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

I'm asking because there's a friend I have who's a few weeks post-op and is going through this at the moment.

For whatever reason, she cannot access the forum, and so I'm wanting to see if I can gather some stories for her (particularly those with happy endings, where people moved on from that "OMG!" feeling and are now satisfied with their decision)...

Anyone care to share?

Thanks so much guys. I think she could really use it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2