Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what can we take for period pain after surgery?

Go down 
+6
tracey
Peazles
Carrie
Megan
applesauce
issi
10 posters
AuthorMessage
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

what can we take for period pain after surgery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 5:16 am

SamiB, I had the hysterectomy when I was 27, it is a matter of speaking to your local GP and asking him who does he think would operate on you regarding a hysterectomy. There are doctors who will do the operation on you! Maybe because I am married and I was so damn sure that there was no way that I could look after a child that he sorta thought the same. I found out that the youngest lady that he has operated on was 22.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 2:27 am

Hi Issi,
i'm 24 and need a hysterectomy. Currently i'm on 6-8 progesterone pills per day to stop me bleeding out otherwise i can bleed continuously and really heavy with huge clots for 10 months out of 12 =( then i end up in hospital for blood transfusions etc. primolut n is what i'm on but i still get cramps with that depending on the time of the month etc but i take mersyndol forte with it. i'm unlucky in the regard i bleed through the depo needle and the mirena iud and the implanon PLUS i'm allergic to the contraceptive pill. Because of my age they won't do my hysterectomy til i've had another baby- even though i've had this problem since i was 12. Primolut N will stop your period completely so maybe do a bit of research and ask your dr ?
Hope this helps- and sorry for the TMI everyone....
Cheers,
Sami =)
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 8:36 pm

Thanks for clearing that up everyone...i've been a bit scared to take nurofen since but have had to take it twice...I had nothing for a migraine at all but panadal and that does zip!! but combined with nurofen does help it a bit!! I've since got stronger meds but I was so scared to take the nurofen...but it makes sense that all that info is for banders (like as you say they seem to make us use those rules too)

I'm almost 6 months out so will take it now if needed but have always had some food in there first...lol my lil brain telling me that its harder to attach to the wall of my TNT if there is food in there...hence no ulcer...lol

Can ya tell i am not very medically minded...lol
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 11:28 am

Just to make sure you don't take ANY anit-inflammatory medictions ie: Nurofen, Advil etc on an empty stomach as it will cause ulcers!
Try to just stick to plain panadol or panamax etc....
Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:54 am

I have had nurofen and voltaren since my sleeve, but when I went into chemist to get painkillers for gallbladder pain, pharmacist told me I probably shouldn't take them with anti-reflux meds (losec) so gave me codeine. ( which I just threw up. lol)

hugs
tracey
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:35 am

Hi Issi

If your surgeon has said not to take Nurofen, try Mersyndol night strength. I get period pain and find the Mersyndol help if I haven't got any anti-inflamatories. They can make you tired though, so be prepared for that.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 7:13 am

When I was being discharged I was told not to take nurofen at the moment, and I am 100% sure that they knew I had a sleeve not a band. Luckily I don't really like nurofen anyway.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Megan
Megan

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 5:15 am

My surgeon pretty much only does sleeves now (Dr France) and in my surgery info pack which was for sleeves only, not to take nurofen for at least 6 months post sleeve. Have it sitting right here in front of me, in black and white.
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 4:06 am

I think they just prescribe the lap band guidelines for everybody they have them so ingrained in their heads. I will go back and talk to the GP again and remind him I do not have a band - meanwhile they told me neurofen was fine to take when I *did* have a band. Gah they annoy me so much with the cross information.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 3:48 am

That so damn annoys me. You can NOT take any of those with a lapband it eats the stupid band and you are pron to ulcers when they get stuck above the band and eat into that pouch. One of the BIG reasons for doing a sleeve over a band is the ability to take all those meds. They are not a problem at all with a sleeve. It was the reason my husband who has a shocking back and the ONLY thing that works for him is nerefun switched from wanting a band to a sleeve. Both him and I take nerefun he the strongest you can get, they are with a script and the sugeon the Physcisian the GP and Physio all know about his sleeve and say taking them is fine.

He started back on them about 6 weeks after surgery, but the reason for the delay was having all those blood thiners while in hospital. I have taken them for feet pain from about 10 weeks out from surgery.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 3:30 am

The surgeon told me no neurofen or any NSAI's because of the sleeve and my small stomach. The GP concurred. I have less faith in their advice as i do in the tooth fairy being real at this point as they have made so many stuff ups. So people can take neurofen with the sleeve? I can't go on the pill as we are hoping to conceive next year. I have no other medical conditions that i didn't have when i was taking neurofen before surgery. I was told taking any non-steroidal-anit-inflamatories would likely cause a hole to burn through my sleeve. Is that total rubbish? Both doc & surgeon told me the same thing.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 2:52 am

I asume there are other reasons besides the sleeve for not taking neurfon because the sleeve doesnt stop you taking it. Honestly the only option really left to you is the pill, even then it might take a few months to find the one that works, they do NOT all stop period pain like a dream, it can take a pretty high dose one to have any effect. A combination of the pill and ponstan (but again you might not be able to take that) started BEFORE your period starts then some pandine forte to take any bad stuff left away. It was only a muli aproach that worked for me, and I am afraid my daughter is facing the same right now in year 12. It is important to know none of these for me at least work on their own and ponstan is less than useless unless taken at least the day before the period starts and in conjunction with the other stuff. Taking it once you have pain is a waste of the tablet. The daughter was so bad last weekend she had 2 pandine forte and 2 nerofun with codeine in them and was still a ball on the couch wanting the throw up.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 2:35 am

I've been told I can't take neurofen any longer so what can we actually take for period pain and sever cramps after surgery? I was readmitted to hospital on pethadine shots my first period after surgery - i didn't realize most of the pain was period related until bam... that time of month again and agony.... this seems ridiculous... what can we take that still allows us to function normally in daily life the way neurofen did? The tranquliser suggested by the male doctor seems absurd to me as I still need to be able to function, i can't take a week off of life every month. Panadine Forte does nothing for my cramps neither does pain stop :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what can we take for period pain after surgery?   what can we take for period pain after surgery? Empty

Back to top Go down

what can we take for period pain after surgery?
Page 1 of 1