Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?

Go down 
+25
LittleMissCee
Kell
alice.r
jessied
Wannabehealthy
kazmac33
Mer
AliKat
D'Girlz
Fraggle
mapmar
Puppyweeble
redrooter99
Paity10
killerbabe82
Buzz25
smileykylie
*Lib*
Big Softie
Isis
Caz
didles
Janette
MummaCass
SassyMummy
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Whisper
Whisper

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-08-03

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:45 am

I'm coming up to 7 months out.

For the first 5 months, and even occasionally now, I found managing things post-op to be really difficult. I found it incredibly difficult to get in the required amounts of water, protein and fibre. I lost a devastating amount of hair, including my eyelashes. There was a several month period where I had almost a psychological fear (or hatred) of food because of the negative response my body was having each time I ate. I was very well prepared / informed for most all of the common side effects; it's the uncommon ones I have struggled with.

I have never considered having this surgery to be a mistake. However, on an almost daily basis for months, I found I would slip into the mindset of - "I did this to myself." And that's a slippery slope if you aren't mentally able to pull yourself back up out of it.

For me, the decision or realisation that this surgery was not a mistake was made long before my operation date. It's been dealing with the side effects that has been difficult.

I'm not sure that I'm making myself as clear as I'd like to, but I suspect that if you really analyse how you are feeling post op, you'll find that you are not questioning if the surgery itself was a mistake; you are questioning whether the side effects are worth the distress - whether the benefit outweighs the cost. That's a question each of us needs to answer individually. (For me, despite all the difficulties I've had, the answer is yes.)

Best,

W.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 8:46 pm

I am 7 months out and have NEVER once regretted being sleeved for even one millisecond. I put a lot of thought and research into what was going to be happening before I made my final decision so I have been in the right head space from the word go and knew that I would never be able to "chow down" again. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my sleeve.

Auntyamber I agree with Michelle, you need to speak to your dietician, surgeon, or GP. It just doesn't sound right and I'm sure there is something that can help you.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

auntyamber wrote:
I still do nearly everyday. I'm nearly 6months out and have only lost 15kg and have diahorrea EVERYDAY multiple times a day, I can't sit down and eat a decent meal with my family because I'm finished before they hardly start.
I wish I had spent the $7000 on bills and debt instead of creating more debt. Maybe one day I will not think its a mistake but right now I still wish I hadnt done it.

You need to speak to your dietician. That is NOT right! It is possible to stretch the sleeve. You should not eat any more than a cup or half a cup of anything in one sitting for the first 9 months! Your sleeve can stretch! I was VERY careful to eat small, three times a day. I gave up the 6-8 meals a day early on, simply because I didn't feel I needed them! Try kickstarting your metabolism again by doing OPTI for a few days, then keeping to the small portions guidelines.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

Once or twice I have wished I could go to a restaurant and eat a NORMAL meal like everyone else, but then I look at what I am wearing (size10) and then I look at HOW MUCH they are eating, and I think how I feel really good, and I am enjoying the conversation more than the food, as I sip on my white wine, and I think...nahhh. I am GLAD I am sleeved! I will NEVER be fat again!

Back to top Go down
auntyamber
auntyamber

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySat 24 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

I still do nearly everyday. I'm nearly 6months out and have only lost 15kg and have diahorrea EVERYDAY multiple times a day, I can't sit down and eat a decent meal with my family because I'm finished before they hardly start.
I wish I had spent the $7000 on bills and debt instead of creating more debt. Maybe one day I will not think its a mistake but right now I still wish I hadnt done it.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySat 04 Feb 2012, 2:20 pm

Oh hells yes did I have a few of those moments.

I thought that while I was in hospital, more so when I had to go in and have more surgery less than 48 hours after having my sleeve done when my lungs collapsed & I got a leak in my stomach.

Then when I got home and I couldn't eat.. I just kept thinking WHY? Why did I do this? Why didn't I try and lose the weight on my own first? (Clearly, my brain had just blocked out the 10+ years of dieting already tried)

Then I had the stupid thoughts of, why didn't I get a band, and if that didn't work then go down this path... WHY THE F**K HAVE I DONE THIS TO MYSELF?

Now, nearly 6 months out... I don't tend to have too many of those moments.

The first 2 months were definately the hardest.. So many why moments. I was so emotional.. Bordering on depressed.. But.. Once I got used to the sleeve, worked out a bit better what I could & couldn't eat, how much, etc, and started seeing results.. I started to come around.

Now I'm in love with my sleeve ;)
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySat 04 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

Kell wrote:
I see people saying they love their sleeve... I'm not sure I am at that point yet. I sort of think they're crazy (I'm kidding, I am jealous really!) and I think that once I learn to master this tool and use it properly and without consequence, then I may just love it after all.

i SO know how you feel kell!!!
Back to top Go down
Kell
Kell

Female
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2011-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 6:50 am

Yup. 2 days after I was thinking holy shit.. this is FOREVER. FOR. EVER. That freaked me out. I was a bit teary. I've had a few moments of frustration since, not so much regret, though I often can be heard saying "what the hell did I do this for?!" when I am throwing up what I overate, or wanting more of a yummy dish... It's taking my head longer than my body to adjust of course.

I see people saying they love their sleeve... I'm not sure I am at that point yet. I sort of think they're crazy (I'm kidding, I am jealous really!) and I think that once I learn to master this tool and use it properly and without consequence, then I may just love it after all.
Back to top Go down
Wannabehealthy

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 03 Feb 2012, 2:44 am

Okay, so now i am 10 days post op and I am feeling heaps better!! % days ago I was in pain and miserable and thinking OMG what have I done? It's simply amazing what a difference a few days makes!

I LOVE MY SLEEVE ALREADY!!!!!

I want to shout it out!!
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyWed 01 Feb 2012, 11:56 am

i definitely had the post-op blues. i remember breaking down sobbing to my Husband that i had mutilated myself and made a huge mistake. i also remember being so angry that i had gotten myself into the position where i needed such a drastic proceedure. i also struggled with an adverse reaction to the painkillers which cause depression and anxiety. at the time i posted a thread in the 'different shade of blue' section called "post-op blues" check it out and if you think it might be helpful please print it off for her. i really feel for your friend, i know just how she feels. im now 10 weeks out and it has taken me until now to start to enjoy the benefits of the sleeve. seeing the weight come off does make it worth it, but it is a really tough journey for some of us. i wish i was one of those people that loved it from day 1, but in reality, my recovery was crappy, i suffered side-effects like dumping with painful cramps and diarrhea and i still struggle with my emotional attachment to food. i honestly felt like someone had taken away my social life and my relaxation tool- food.
it does get better, and it is worth it in the long run. check out my thread, it may help her?
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySat 28 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Agree, hang in there, everyday gets better. Just take it really slow, listen to your new tummy, remembering you have just had major surgery and you need time to heal. I hope they gave you some meds for your pain and nausea plus anti reflux meds.

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  217555
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySat 28 Jan 2012, 11:38 am

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  217555

Chin up and hang in there. You WILL start to feel better, how long depends on the person. It took weeks before I started to improve. At some stage it will become a good idea again...

(very tongue in cheek)

Hope it won't be long before you will be feeling better, I found as I could handle more food and fluids I started to feel better. Just concentrate on one teaspoon at a time.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Wannabehealthy

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptySat 28 Jan 2012, 7:53 am

Today I am feeling OMG What have i done?? Day four post op and just home from hospital, I'm feeling like rubbish (pain, nausea) and don't feel like drinking or eating.
BUT it is early days and this will pass, i'm just one of those people who hate not feeling 100%.
I am confident that things will get better, just keep smiling! Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  65317
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 11:42 pm

i am on southside to:) i am in waterford near beenleigh:) pm me your number and we can work out a time to meet:)
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 10:54 pm

Absolutely would love to. I have next week off work. Are you free anytime then? I am at Underwood, southside of Brisbane.
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 11:24 am

awsome kaz, i am brisbane to so if you ever want to catch up let me know:)
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

thats a good idea about the icy poles. It is hard to get a lot of fluid in. I am glad it is not the height of summer here in Qld at the moment otherwise I feel I would be dehydrated. Have managed to drink 1/2 mug of tea which I am pleased about. Have missed my tea Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  65317
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 10:04 am

KAZMAC it does get better, i am 7 and a half weeks out and i can eat and drink so much easier:) i recomend frosty fruit 99% fat free icy poles they help to get fluid in and feels nice going down:)
Back to top Go down
kazmac33
kazmac33

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyFri 22 Jul 2011, 8:56 am

YES, YES, Yes I am currently going through this at the moment. I am calling it 'post operation remorsr' like when you buy a house you have that sinking feeling of 'have I done the right thing'. I am cranky at the moment as I am only a few days in from my operation and I am sick of having to drink something every hour, have tiny sips of water when all I want to do is have a lovely big drink of water. I know this phase won't last long but I am sure impatient for it to be over!!
Back to top Go down
Mer

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 1:42 am

I can honestly say that from the time I made the decision to have the sleeve I have had not 1 regret!!.. I breezed through the surgery, have had no complications, no vomiting etc.. I do however on occasions feel a little frustrated.. Like when we go out for dinner and I order the smallest meal I can and STILL only get through a small amount of it.. I am just over 5 months out.. but the feeling doesn't last long as my brain kicks in and says you don't NEED it, just WANT it..

So for me, no regrets what so ever!!.. :)
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyWed 29 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

Oh yeah and I have them ... well more moments, not any long period of time ... when I am at a wonderful restaurant and half an entree can be my limit at times but having said that, with hand on my heart and 100% honesty, those feelings are only fleeting and they aren't so much regret but a bit of an "oh bugger, so much to choose from but only a little stomach to fill" ...

I'd never change my mind about the surgery though and I only had the thought once. I had just woken from the surgery and was in a world of pain with very uncaring nursing staff but that was it.

I can still have the food I like and thankfully there is something regulating my self control - my sleeve ... I so know I couldn't, self-control that is, hence the reason for an entire teen and adult life being unhappy, miserable, depressed, suicidal (at times), sadly, sadly overweight and never feeling a part of society or life.

I sound so Dr Phil and blah, blah, blah but I have really made a decision in my life that I never regret.
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

No, but I did have the "OMG THEY have made a mistake" moment - I thought they had not operated on me at all and that it was all a joke!!!
Back to top Go down
Fraggle
Fraggle

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

I did while I was in hospital, but it was more about the "this is permanent" rather than the op itself. Haven't had any of those moments since then (but I did have a lot of "I can't wait to get off the liquid diet" moments).
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

Only lasted for 30 seconds for me!
Back to top Go down
Puppyweeble

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

I had my surgery last Friday the 10th. On the 12th I woke up and thought God what have I done?!
As I have told not a soul about the operation except for my husband their was no-one to tell about how I was feeling.
(I wanted my Mum!)
The thing is its done, there's no going back, no reversal, no return so I decided lets just move through the next two weeks of liquid diet and make the best of what everyone who has been before on any forum, website, webcast, youtube site or anywhere says is the best thing they have ever done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?    Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you have a period of "OMG I've made a mistake!" after your surgery?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next