Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don't want to make the same mistake again.

Go down 
+3
sue
Deb
Jaja
7 posters
AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Don't want to make the same mistake again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 8:00 pm

I can not eat spicy or hot foods
bugger I do like them
Bread I have only a little of as it is stoggy
I can eat just about everything else
just smaller versions of it
Back to top Go down
lucy i
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 4:07 pm

Hi Jaja

I am a patient of Dr France's and very happy with him - there are others that do it, but not many from my knowledge.
There's Dr Philip Game?, Dr D'onofrio and Dr Paul Leong.
Are you sure Dr Bessell offers gastric sleeve surgery, as when I went to his info night in January - he did not.

Good luck with finding someone.

Lucy i
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 1:48 pm

Hi JaJa and welcome to the forum. Congrats on taking the first step and posting.

I had a band and it was not successful. I had it removed in January this year and was sleeved 5 weeks ago. The sleeve is totally different to the band so you shouldn't worry. I have had absolutely no problems at all so far. Blockages are non existent for me. Sometimes if I eat too quickly there can be a moment of discomfort but it passes in seconds. Nothing like a band blockage at all. You still have to chew your food really well but I can eat more quickly with the sleeve than I could with the band.

Best of luck with your appointment and do keep us updated.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Jaja
Jaja

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 12:38 pm

Hey this forum is great! People reply so quickly!

I am petrified of making a permanent mistake! I found that the band was unmanageable and being quite a social person it was very restrictive in that it created socially embarrassing situations. From what i have read it seems that most people don't have the same problems with the sleeve as with the band. Would be happy to have an entre size meal but just don't want the whole 'getting stuck' thing to happen. Sometimes i couldn't even sip water. Am wondering which surgeons perform the sleeve in Adelaide? I am reading a lot about Michael French. I have had an initial appointment with Wakefield St Centre and am seeing Dr Bessell next month.
Thank you for all your advice so far.
Jaja
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm

Hi JaJa

Deb has really answered your question really well but I will just add a bit as I was banded.

When I was banded I vomited quite alot but now I am sleeved I have never vomited but I am always careful to eat slower and I know my limit and know when I have had enough. As she has said at the beginning until you are healed the sleever has to make sure you have very moist foods by adding gravy or sauces.

Jaja this is the best thing I have ever done and I just love my tiny tummy because you can eat what you like but just in small amounts. Hope this helps.
hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 11:28 am

Hi Jaja,

Welcome i was sleeved 24th June 08 ive only had problems re:vomiting if i ate to quick or to much that was in early stages you have to learn wat your body can and cant take i believe its the best thing i ever did havin the sleeve good luck with your journey

Cheers Sue Don't want to make the same mistake again. 63412
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 11:26 am

Hi Jaja,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you took the step to join in.

Most people don't have problems with any food after being sleeved once they have healed and completed the transition through liquid and mushy foods.

Some people take longer to complete this transition and struggle with drier foods ie no gravy or sauce like chicken and steak.
I had no problems at all.

Mostly when people vomit it is when they eat too much or too quickly. It is very important to slow down and listen to your body. After eating mostly healthy foods for a long period of time after sleeving, some people react badly to sugary or fatty foods too (not me unfortunately). This is more the body going, "What the!?" about you feeding it crap you are not used to than a direct result of the sleeve though.

Hope this helps and I am sure that some of the other girls and guys will share their experiences in relation to your questions too.
Back to top Go down
Jaja
Jaja

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. EmptySun 21 Jun 2009, 11:16 am

Hi All,

I am new to all of this, including using an online forum. I am considering having sleeve surgery and have stumbled across this support group. I am really enjoying reading your messages. I don't think i have quite got the hang of how to use correctly, so please forgive any slip ups!
I was banded in 2002. It broke after 6 months and i had to have it replaced. I hated it but persisted until 2007 when i had it removed. I am now considering the sleeve instead. I found with the band that i was never sick from over eating. It was that the first bite i took and swallowed would get stuck and i would have to bring it up again. I could eat some foods some days and not others. If i lay down for a while during the day, when i got up my band had restricted again. If i got stressed it would tighten as well and restrict. I found it very difficult socially as i never knew if something was going to go down or not. My surgeon said i must have been overly sensitive to the band. Have decided after a couple of years of putting on weight that it is time to explore my options again. I would like to hear from people with the sleeve in regards to food getting stuck. Does this happen like it did with my band or is it that you just can only eat small amount and then you are full? I have read that some people are sick, is that from first bite not going down or over eating? Don't want to make the same mistake again. 697586 Would appreciate your experiences.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't want to make the same mistake again.   Don't want to make the same mistake again. Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't want to make the same mistake again.
Page 1 of 1