AuthorMessage
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

Biggest mistake of my life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySat 15 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

What anti nausea meds are you on? If they are not giving you relief there are plenty more options to try. Has your surgeon explained the stretch to you? It isn't going to return you to pre sleeve and even if you have several,it's still going to be a long time til you can eat like you used to. I really hope they can get the meds right and with some relief you might start to feel better. I am not trying to say suck it up I've been thru worse, in fact I think the opposite and think you are incredibly brave in admitting this isn't for you and you're prepared to try to find a way back so to speak. I am only worried the stretches aren't quite what you think they are. I had four due to strictures which is very likely what you might be suffering with. The relief is pretty much instant afterwards and I really hope that will be your experience.

As for feeling a pain, please never feel that with your surgeon. I was the same and boy did I suffer sometimes because I didn't want to cause a problem. In the early days I thought it was all my own fault and I needed to try harder. My surgeon never made me feel that tho and always helped me as did the clinic staff and my gp too. Nowadays I am much better about asking for help although was so scared of ending up in hospital again last week I went to my gp instead of my surgeon who took one look at me and called my surgeon herself! Don't suffer in silence. I used to wait for my appointments like a good girl. I tried to avoid calling. THREE months post sleeve I ended up in emergency with muscle spasms and my heart was about to give up as I had become so malnourished. I knew I was sick but didn't realise just how sick I was. So I urge you too to get on with this ASAP because you might not realise how ill you are becoming and how dangerous it can be.

As I said I think you are very brave and I will be watching eagerly to hear your progress. If I can offer any advice please let me know. I've been where you are and feel for you.

Suzy
Xx
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySun 02 Mar 2014, 9:21 am

Hiya Changed,

So you are doing all the right things which is awesome to hear.
I am so sorry there seems to be no quick fix for your nausea.

The peppermint tea is an great suggestion - I remember living off it for a while there. Ginger tea may also help. 

As Jessie said it will get better.

Hang in there and know we are all here to listen whenever you need.

Cheers,
Tara
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySun 02 Mar 2014, 6:03 am

Hi
I was sleeved 2 years ago and felt terrible for months afterward.  I found it difficult to drink anything but milky drinks (which helped soother my tummy- yah for Jarrah hot chocolate!) - still drinking it now.  Eating very small amounts of softer food may help you.  I have a hiatus hernia (since the sleeve) so eating more solid food can be a problem.  I am on Somac 40mg twice a day for reflux.  Will be interesting to see what the results of your barium swallow show.
It will get easier, some just need longer than others!!  It will be worth it in the long run and one day you will wake up and think "Wow I feel more normal". Just hang in there and keep in touch with your surgeon about the problems. 
Best wishes.
jessied
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySun 02 Mar 2014, 5:30 am

Hi Changed,

I think for some people its par for the course to regret the sleeve. Especially when you are feeling so ill! I hope it gets better soon

Somac is a good drug, stronger than Nexium so fingers crossed the reflux will calm down soon.
Does your surgeon have a practice nurse or a phone line that you can call? I have pestered the hell out of the reception staff, his practice nurse and my surgeon because I didn't feel right for the first 3 1/2 weeks.
The nausea was relentless for me too. In the hospital I was throwing up, but they got it under control with all the different drugs. And they were also given me anti-inflammatories, so by day 3 in hospital I was feeling on top of the world getting my 900ml of fluid down. As soon as I was discharged and the drugs wore off, I could get maybe 300-400ml down and eventually couldn't even stomach 100ml. I called the doctor and I was readmitted to hospital for severe dehydration. And since coming out of hospital, until maybe a week ago I was still on clear fluids and struggling. Finally got my bariam swallow and it showed LOTS of swelling which explains why I was having trouble getting things down and feeling nauseous. He talked about stretching my stomach, but it seems to have resolved (partially) on its own. So I am waiting it out. But my surgeon said that for some people its necessary. They come in feeling dreadful, have a this little stretch, and then don't have any more problems. Not sure if that works for everyone, just repeating what he said.

You will know more about the future when you have the surgeon explain the test results.
Maybe you could ask for an anti-inflammatory? Definitely tell him the anti-nausea drug is doing sweet FA.

I know that 6 weeks is a long time to feel crap....but your body has been through a lot, so I imagine that your healing will naturally be slower than a lot of people here. You underwent major surgery, and then you had to battle kidney failure on top of that!!

How much food/fluids are you getting down at the moment? Are you keeping a food diary to show your surgeon?

In the 2 weeks following surgery I wanted hot drinks. Tea, peppermint tea, clear broth...it seemed to soothe the sleeve. Now, cold things soothe it. If I begin to feel nauseous then I shove a lemonade icy pole in my mouth and its heaven. Have you tried a few different things like that?
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySun 02 Mar 2014, 3:26 am

Hi Tara,
Many thanks for your reply. I have only just started a new reflex drug called 'Somac", so far so good not much reflux in the last 5 days.  I am also on an anti nausea drug but that doesn't seem to help much first thing in the morning - mum thinks its lack of food being sustained overnight - should could be right!!!

The only way to treat the kidney failure was to put me back in hospital on a drip for 3 days and then for me to continue to drink drink drink, my kidneys have now improved but still not back to my pre op level - they say it will take maybe another 3 weeks for the toxins to be totally out of my body.

I do take a multivitamin daily and my bloods have been checked regularly (every 2 weeks at the moment).

Thursday I had a barium meal/swallow done but haven't got the results yet but a suggestion was to stretch my stomach a little

Just want to wake up and feel normal again, instead of sick in stomach constantly!!!

I have total regret for having the sleeve done.............
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySun 02 Mar 2014, 3:11 am

Hiya Changed,

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell.

I think we need a bit more information.
Did they put you on another Reflux drug ?
Maybe an Anti-nausea drug is required too.
How did they treat the Kidney failure? Is that to blame for some of you feeling so bad.

Of course Vitamins, I assume you are taking a good quality Multivitamin and maybe some Iron. Have you had your bloods taken in the past week so you know what you are deficient in.

You said you asked your surgeon what you can do to feel better soon - what his plan for you?

I know I felt pretty dodge for the first 12 weeks then I came good.

I hope you too feel better soon.

Tara
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life EmptySun 02 Mar 2014, 2:27 am

Hi All,
I am new to this site and need some info regarding Gastric Sleeve.  6 weeks ago I had a gastric sleeve in that time I have never felt well not to mention about week 3 they discovered I had an allergic reaction to Nexium which put me into Kidney failure.  I just find that every day I get up I never feel well, always sick in the stomach - does this feeling get better???  I totally regret my decision to have the sleeve and have asked my surgeon what I can now do to make it better.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest mistake of my life   Biggest mistake of my life Empty

Back to top Go down

Biggest mistake of my life
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: