8 posters
AuthorMessage
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

what happens if i am sick on day of op Empty
PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptyMon 06 Jun 2011, 1:35 am

thansk for the replys guys, i ended up having a temp the day of op but its was just under the limit to stop op so that was a releif, op went well:)
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 11:33 pm

I agree with all the calls to stop the aspirin. Also Chilli in the throatt gargle is a natural blood thinner so probably something best to leave out before surgery.

It will depend mainly on the anasthetist and if he considers you a risk. I know it's a killer if you have to postpone, but the reason they don't operate on people who are sick is that respiratory function can be compromised. Also you really don't want to be coughing/sneezing a lot after this surgery.

Take it from someone who had 2 postponments of a large abdominal surgery. First time I had a temp which developed into a flu and the GP put me on puffers. Second time I fronted up anaesthetist looked at medications and said 'no'. At the time I was devestated, but in retrospect after finally having the op I was so thankful for his caution. I could not have imagined how much more compromised I would have been if he had said yes as after the op just a small cough was agony.

Being sick also slows recovery.
All that said I hope for the best safe outcome for you.
Back to top Go down
rowdy
Part of the furniture
rowdy

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 1:53 pm

STOP THE ASPIRIN...have I said it loud enough...this will delay the operation more than the cold...people need to stop blood thinners 5 days before op when they take them for other things...I would hate for your cold to be gone but only to be replaced with stomach ulcer or bleeding post op...
sorry to be a nag but it is the nurse in me... what happens if i am sick on day of op 427584 what happens if i am sick on day of op 81722
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 1:32 pm

At the moment I end up on antbiotics once a month as I get throat or ear infections. The last couple of times I have seen my doctor I asked her what would happen if I was sick.

She said id would depend on how sick I was. and if I was near the end of my antibotics then all should be good.

SHe can't wait for me to have the surgery as she believes it will help my health so much that I won't get sick as often.

Paity, I agree with the others. Please stop taking asprin for atleast 10 days before your op.

When my children were having their tonsils out I was told they were not to have nurofen or asprin for 10 days before and 6 weeks after surgery. They said if they needed anything that panadol is the way to go.

A natural gargle I use is: 1/4 teaspoon of cayne pepper or chili powder
1 tablespoon of honey
1 half a fresh lemon juice
Place all ingredients in a mug fill to half way with warm water. Take a large mouthfull throw your head back quickly and gargle then spit out. The quicker you get your head back the least the chili does not sit on your tounge and does not burn.

Last edited by Bellshell on Sun 29 May 2011, 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 12:19 pm

Yes, Paity - I agree with Kaia that you should not be taking aspirin before your surgery. The main reason is that it is a blood thinner, so increases the risk of blood loss during surgery. It also can be an irritant to the stomach lining, as Kaia suggested. Best to stick with non-aspirin remedies, eg. Panadol (or other paracetamol products).

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
Kaia
Kaia

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 11:57 am

Hey Paity,
Did you ask your surgeon about using aspirin? I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think it might not be good for you before a surgery, especially a stomach surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin

"Aspirin can cause prolonged bleeding after operations for up to 10 days. In one study, 30 of 6499 elective surgical patients required reoperations to control bleeding. Twenty had diffuse bleeding and 10 had bleeding from a site. Diffuse, but not discrete, bleeding was associated with the preoperative use of aspirin alone or in combination with other NSAIDS in 19 of the 20 diffuse bleeding patients"

Same with taking the pill before surgery killerbabe, it increases the chances of developing clots apparently - there's a warning on some pill packets about this...

Sorry I sound like a medicine nazi lol I don't mean to worry you or anything! Take care everyone and best of luck for your surgeries :D
Back to top Go down
Paity10
Part of the furniture
Paity10

Female
Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 9:22 am

Killerbabe, i started on L-Lysine and Zinc + C today. Works wonders, plus i've been having lemon, honey, hot water and a asprin!!!!
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 9:20 am

hi thanks, i am pretty sure i dont have a temp just the cold symptoms, lol i dont think i can hid the runny nose though. so fingers crossed as i think if i had to postpone i would loose my nerve and also my mum is travelling 7 hours to look after my son for the 5 days i will be in hospital. i was due for a period this week so i skipped the sugar tablets and went to the next packet on the pill so hopefully that will keep it away as i really dont want to deal with that to :)
thanks so much for your reply
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 7:37 am

I think it depends on how 'sick' you are.

The night before my op, I picked up a mild cold, just sniffles etc, later that night my asthma kicked in...thanks so much for that. When I woke up morning of op, I had a killer migraine.
When I got to hospital I was trying to look well.... but the admissions nurse could tell, I told her about my migraine and asthma. She took my temperature, which was higher than normal, and said that I was very lucky, it was just under the limit for going ahead with the operation - phew!!
I was operated on and all was good. The only pain I had in hospital was from my migraine. Had morphine, endone etc for that pain, no pain from op.

TMI Alert - (oh, and my period arrived unexpectedly the day before op too!!)

Good luck killerbabe82!!
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 6:39 am

oh i really hope not, its only a mild cold and i cant go through all this waiting again, i have been driving my self and family insaine the last 2 weeks lol, let hope i am better by monday
Back to top Go down
Paity10
Part of the furniture
Paity10

Female
Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 6:23 am

I come down with a cold last and week and called my surgeon and told him. He said that if I'm sick on operation day, he wont operate.
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female

PostSubject: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op EmptySat 28 May 2011, 5:02 am

my operation is monday omg only 1 full day left arhhhhh. yesterday i came down with a cold, sore throat, runny nose, joint pains and little bit of a cough. i dont want to call and ask my surgon in case they delay my operation, but will they operate if i show up monday looking sick? i dont think i have had any temps just more of cold symptoms.

anyone elce get sick right before there op?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what happens if i am sick on day of op   what happens if i am sick on day of op Empty

Back to top Go down

what happens if i am sick on day of op
Page 1 of 1