AuthorMessage
maidmarion99
Part of the furniture
maidmarion99

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Help please...weight gain post sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 07 Dec 2010, 8:07 am

Leethal wrote:
Met with my surgeon (Jon Armstrong) today. He was extremely surprised with the quantity of food I am able to eat, and is at a bit of a loss as to why - we reviewed the video of my surgery, and he believes it was a stock standard result (other than me apparently having a longer than usual stomach, which would have accounted for a little bit more capacity).

Recommendation, given I have put back on 1/3 of what I lost (and I'd only lost just over half of what I should have), is to go the next stage surgically and have the sleeve converted to a gastric bypass. Despite being quite common in the U.S., not many done here in Aus, and particularly not many sleeves converted to bypasses. Only one surgeon in Perth apparently with any real experience (Gordon Padovan? - any feedback on Gordon) - Jon is working with Gordon to get up to speed, and has suggested maybe to wait 12 months and have the surgery then, when it has been done a few more times (and I'm not the guinea pig!!!).

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions most welcome!

Thanks...Lee.

Hi lee, I haven't read all the posts but feel for u. I sometimes surprise myself how much I can eat some days. I am a slow looser. I kno if u graze all day u will put on weight, some days u seem hungrier than others. I hve set myself some rules. I eat off a bread & butter plate. Eat more veg than anything else, eat protein, & no bread,@ meals even breakfast. Hve 3 eggs if u hve to no toast. I save my carbs for the times I want rice or pasta which is a rare meal these days. Can only eat half a cup of rice put a cup pasta. I hve dry crackers or raw carrots in between or yogurt. Its hard & can be boring but until u get to goal you can't relax. Hope this helps.... Good luck
Back to top Go down
zara
zara

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 4:20 am

I think some positive thinking needs to be developed and you should get on ebay and buy a self hypsnois cd something like Paul McKenna how to loose weight is a good one, it teaches you to understand why you eat, what emotional triggers end up with you eating more than you should and feeling hungry.

I like the fact that McKenna states if all the world only ate when they were actually hungry there would not be one person overweight.

I agree with early post that some sessions with a counsellor could also be beneficial.

Have you thought about going tough with your body and doing optifast again proove that you can do this and take control of your mind and body.
Back to top Go down
RROSSI
RROSSI

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 12:10 am

A few questions for you bud,

How much have you lost in total now? including what you have put back on?

and are you excercising at all?

even witht he weight Gain was it worth it?

Im having mine done in 6 days and I am getting butterflys big time.

RR
Back to top Go down
Tanikaye
Tanikaye

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyFri 26 Nov 2010, 4:27 am

I have Dr Armstrong as well,.....he is awesome....I am almost 3 weeks post op from sleeve.

Had band in Jan 08, lost 42kgs then it slipped and had to come out in April this year. I had the same thing you described....weight loss got to a certain point and then it started coming back on again, no matter what I ate...fell back into old habits.

I hope the sleeve sorts itself out for you so you don't have to resort the the bypass.

Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyWed 24 Nov 2010, 6:48 am

Just a thought to gauge the size of your stomach. I did the rice cream test where I measured (in a measuring cup lol) 1 cup of rice cream. I then ate what I could over 10 minutes. I could fit in the whole cup but felt comfortably full at the end.

Hope that helps.

Oh and this morning I surprised myself and had two slices of toast and vegemite. Other days I can't fit in nearly that much. I am 14 months out.
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 8:37 am

oh thankyou for the information Keridwyn you are better than Wikipedia! Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 7:44 am

Yes he did. I will be posting it in full form but from my notes

• Weigh regularly
  • Set upper weight limit
  • Exercise regularly
  • Plan for events/outings/special days
  • Daily gratitude for new life - photos and continue to dream
  • Be mindful of "the now" and worry less about future
  • Get help, be vulnerable together

Losec link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omeprazole - PPI is

Quote :
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are a group of drugs whose main action is a pronounced and long-lasting reduction of gastric acid production
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 7:43 am

Hi, what is Locsec (local secretary?) and PPI please? Help please...weight gain post sleeve 725676
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 7:08 am

Hi Keridwyn
You mentioned:

"There are predictors for long term success he has done from study of all his patients over the years. They do not come down to surgery type (he has band patients lost over 100kg in a year and Bypass under 5)"

Did he go into what the predictors were?

Regards,
Sophia

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 3:43 am

Oh, that's interesting info, Keridwyn!
As for the gastric bypass conversion, Lee, my surgeon told me that due to the amount of weight I had to lose, I might have to do just that. I haven't had to do so, but believe he has done some conversions - no idea how many, though. He's in Sydney - but your doc might like to confer with him? Name's Dr Michael Talbot.
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 3:12 am

I have some notes I will be typing up into a big post but do not feel alone. For some time I have been looking for why I failed to feel full when eating. A couple of weeks ago I brought some over the counter Losec and tried at 10 and 20. It made a huge difference. So first I would say give a PPI a try. It will help if you are not feeling the signals from your body that you have had enough.

I attended the NZ Weight Loss Convention last weekend. There is a NZ surgeon working on where you (and I are now) - we did not reach goal and we are struggling with regain.

The main thing he said was to take control and own your journey. Surgery is like a shotgun bullet. the surgeon fires the gun but will have no idea why for some it works and some it does not. That is why that is where he is now focusing his study.

There are predictors for long term success he has done from study of all his patients over the years. They do not come down to surgery type (he has band patients lost over 100kg in a year and Bypass under 5)

The final thing he covered was that for some the only answer will be to go low carb (and strict low carb at that) for life. Many of his 5 year sleeve patients regaining was the reason he started the study he has been doing.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 2:51 am

Not sure about the waiting etc. But Gordon Padovan is my surgeon and I trust him completely. He is one of the best bariatric surgeons in Perth. He did my sleeve and earlier this year removed my gall bladder. He also does the tummy tucks etc and is a gastro oncologist as well. His record, is no leaks, no deaths and thousands of bariatric surgeries. You will be in excellents hands with Gordon.
Back to top Go down
Leethal
Leethal

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 3:34 pm

Met with my surgeon (Jon Armstrong) today. He was extremely surprised with the quantity of food I am able to eat, and is at a bit of a loss as to why - we reviewed the video of my surgery, and he believes it was a stock standard result (other than me apparently having a longer than usual stomach, which would have accounted for a little bit more capacity).

Recommendation, given I have put back on 1/3 of what I lost (and I'd only lost just over half of what I should have), is to go the next stage surgically and have the sleeve converted to a gastric bypass. Despite being quite common in the U.S., not many done here in Aus, and particularly not many sleeves converted to bypasses. Only one surgeon in Perth apparently with any real experience (Gordon Padovan? - any feedback on Gordon) - Jon is working with Gordon to get up to speed, and has suggested maybe to wait 12 months and have the surgery then, when it has been done a few more times (and I'm not the guinea pig!!!).

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions most welcome!

Thanks...Lee.
Back to top Go down
kilrust

Female
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 8:39 am

Thanks Carrie :)

Ruth :)
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 5:51 am

Hi Ruth,

Here's a link to the thread: 5 Day Pouch/Sleeve Test

Cheers - Carrie :-)
Back to top Go down
kilrust

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 4:58 am

EmilyG wrote:
I hope this doesn't come out sounding the wrong way.. but I would also go and see a psychologist for a few sessions. The way obese people relate to food is abnormal. It can help to have an objective set of eyes point this out - using food as "good", "bad", "rewards" or "punishment" isn't normal. Even though the sleeve fixes our stomach, it doesn't fix our heads and at times I think this is under-rated in terms of our future success.

There is something called a "5 day pouch test" where you can test the size of your stomach to see if it's stretched - but def go back and see the surgeon. Some late regain may be expected but not to just stop in the middle of losing weight and start putting it back again, esp with the amount you're able to eat.

What do you know about this pouch test Emily ?? Do you know how it is worked out ??

Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 10:21 pm

Moved from "General Chat"
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 3:41 pm

I hope this doesn't come out sounding the wrong way.. but I would also go and see a psychologist for a few sessions. The way obese people relate to food is abnormal. It can help to have an objective set of eyes point this out - using food as "good", "bad", "rewards" or "punishment" isn't normal. Even though the sleeve fixes our stomach, it doesn't fix our heads and at times I think this is under-rated in terms of our future success.

There is something called a "5 day pouch test" where you can test the size of your stomach to see if it's stretched - but def go back and see the surgeon. Some late regain may be expected but not to just stop in the middle of losing weight and start putting it back again, esp with the amount you're able to eat.
Back to top Go down
kilrust

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 11:27 am

I too would be interested in what your doctor says as I have just eaten 4 chicken wings and 1/2 glass orange juice and I had either a chicken wing too many or too much juice :(

But then I have eaten other things and wondered how come was I able to eat that much :(

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 5:31 am

I'm 2.5 years out and no way could I eat what you have for breakfast, either.
Just a thought, though - try more egg and less toast? And let us know what the doc says, too...
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 1:33 am

Also sorry to hear things haven't gone well.

I am nearly a year out and there is no way I could eat what you do for breakfast, it just wouldn't fit.
2 weetbix and I am full, no room for a cuppa for about half an hour later.

I would definitely be looking for answers from your surgeon.

Being disheartened from the lack of weight loss would probably send me snacking on the wrong foods also.

Take care Help please...weight gain post sleeve 217555

Back to top Go down
Leethal
Leethal

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 12:39 am

No I don't drink alcohol (very seldom anyway, maybe a bottle of cider or a glass of whiskey once in a blue moon). My regular meals are what i would consider balanced and healthy - I can just eat much more than I should be able to post surgery. for example at breakfast this morning, I had 2.5 slices of wholemeal toast with mashed egg, and a cup of coffee. For the first 6 months after surgery, I would have struggled with half a slice of toast and the coffee.

The biggest problem for me is that as I've got more disheartened with the lack of weight loss, I've started snacking between meals (couldn't fit those in before) - and it's these that aren't the healthiest - as I said, back to some of my old habits - because I can (which I know is just the worst excuse...hence why I felt the need for the surgery, to provide a tool to help me stop my bad habits).

Mapmar - haven't seen Laura for a while...I figured I know what I'm eating is too much, and snacking on the wrong stuff - but what was the point in hearing what I already know - what I really want to know is why I can eat as much as I can after going through all of this....

Hopefully some answers and advice from Jon on Monday...
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyFri 19 Nov 2010, 9:21 pm

Just a thought. Do you drink alcohol? Alcohol has a lot of calories. My husband is losing weight "the hard way" and when he doesnt include alcohol in diet he loses weight but lately getting closer to xmas always going out, always drinking at functions he's gained weight even tho the food diet is the same.

I don't drink alcohol so just watch my husband. Just something I would throw out there.

All the best with your doctor and let us know the outcome.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyFri 19 Nov 2010, 7:21 pm

Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Mapmar's idea is a good one, and I'm glad you've booked in to see your doc - that's a great step, and s/he should be able to help you sort it out.
Try to stick to 3 meals a day (I know how hard that is), and cut out the carbs if you're having them. Make sure you're eating mostly protein, as it makes you feel fuller.
Good luck, and let us know how you go.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve EmptyFri 19 Nov 2010, 4:12 pm

Must be disheartening for you..... Could you give us an idea of what you eat each day and the quantity of each thing so can work out if there us something you need to change etc. Have you seen Laura the dietitian at jon's? Make sure you include what you drink as well......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help please...weight gain post sleeve   Help please...weight gain post sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Help please...weight gain post sleeve
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next