Healthyme10
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jowazza

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2015-02-09

did anyone else gain weight post-op? Empty
PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyWed 24 Jun 2015, 11:12 pm

Hi.  I lost 7 kilos in the first week and have lost nothing in the second week.  Was a bit disheartened until I read these posts.  Thanks.  Hopefully forward from here.
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyWed 24 Jun 2015, 9:56 am

Hi to all - just to update that I am now 9 days post-op and I have lost the 6kgs water retention post-op and an extra 4 kgs in the last week! So if others are upset that they have put on weight post-op , it's probably not a worry and will probably just drain out within a week or so! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture
Joybells

Female
Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-04

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 1:29 pm

Healthy me,
I have also put on weight - 3 kg in hospital so understand totally. Unfair eh as I,Ve eaten less than a sparrow. I'm hoping its fluid as well as thought I'd done well pre- op. My dr did say my pulse and b/p indicated I was in starvation mode in hospital so guess my body doesn't like what I,Ve chosen to do to it.
Keep your chin up we will get there.
did anyone else gain weight post-op? 369315  Joybells
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 1:23 pm

Thanks box of jewels - I still have the stockings but have a lot of difficulty putting them on as I can't bend over and they end up rolling down my leg and cutting off my circulation in a band - which is more dangerous than good... I walked quite a bit today so I will weigh myself tomorrow and see if some of the fluid has gone - thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 7:37 am

If you are feeling the fluid built up in your legs - do you have the stockings still they gave you in hospital?  They might help.
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 5:42 am

Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated! Just trying to walk a bit of the fluid off... Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 4:23 am

I think the majority of people do put on a bit of weight in hospital.  Some people then start to lose about a week or two later, though I had a friend who didn't lose for 6 weeks post op, but has had a normal (and very good) weight loss since.
Back to top Go down
FinallyHere
FinallyHere

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-02-22

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 12:16 am

That happened to me, I gained weight, maybe 3 kilos. I was so disappointed. I was so good for the pre-op diet and ate nothing but a couple of lemonade ice blocks in the hospital, but came out of hospital, jumped on the scales and gained weight. I didn't jump on the scales again for a week and it was all gone. I agree that it was the IV fluids etc. 

I had my surgery in April and am down approx 18kilos. Just stick to your diet and it will happen. Good luck x
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

Many thanks box of jewels, cool j, and wonda Wendy - much appreciated for your responses. I think I'll try to walk quite a bit tomorrow to see if that will loosen it up as I can feel the fluid building up in my legs. I guess it's just going to be quite a roller coaster ride and new way of living that will be different for everyone - but I just need to be patient, give it some time, establish some routines with things that work well for me and stay positive! Many thanks again for your support!
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

Many thanks box of jewels, cool j, and wonda Wendy - much appreciated for your responses. I think I'll try to walk quite a bit tomorrow to see if that will loosen it up as I can feel the fluid building up in my legs. I guess it's just going to be quite a roller coaster ride and new way of living that will be different for everyone - but I just need to be patient, give it some time, establish some routines with things that work well for me and stay positive! Many thanks again for your support!
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 1:01 pm

Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 12:43 pm

Hi Healthyme, 

I didn't gain but lost quite slowly to start with. My dietitian explained that the aim of the pre-op diet was to shrink the liver, and this involved a whole lot of fluid loss.  He said that my liver was still re-hydrating and that whilst it might seem like I wasn't losing weight, I was actually losing fat and gaining water/fluid.  After a couple of more weeks, I started to lose weight a little more smoothly and that was a relief.

I hope that puts your mind at ease.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
cool.J
Part of the furniture
cool.J

Female
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2015-02-14

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 11:34 am

Hi healthyme10, my surgeon wrote about this in his support package he gave me. Apparently it is normal as per what your surgeons clinic told you.
Good luck on your journey!!
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 10:55 am

Patience, grasshopper.

I'm guessing you are otherwise fine....so I'd go with what the surgeon says.   You will pee it out soon.
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 10:44 am

Hi Everyone - I am day 3 out of surgery and was just discharged today! To my horror I discovered that I have put on 5-6kgs! I rang my doctor's office but they weren't concerned - just said it is probably a build up of all the IV fluids etc / hormones etc and it will reduce. Did anyone else have such significant weight gain  / fluid retention post surgery? any tips?

Many thanks! did anyone else gain weight post-op? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: did anyone else gain weight post-op?   did anyone else gain weight post-op? Empty

Back to top Go down

did anyone else gain weight post-op?
Page 1 of 1