AuthorMessage
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

I find it easier to just ask for a leftover box when I order the food, then I can just put whatever I don't want in there, rather than having to ask at the end and have them ask me what was wrong with it because there's >50% left over!
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

I have been out twice since last thursday eveing and both places were allright with putting the rest of my dinner in a takeaway container.

Even when I order an entree size meal I have heaps left over as I am only 7 weeks post op and just starting on regular food.

My husband in Jan of this year was diagnosed with type 2 diabeties. So he has not been finishing my food as he has been eating better and dropped 20kgs himself this year. It was a role reversal ealier this year as I was eating everything in sight and he was eating a lot better and for the first time in our relationship he had smaller portions than me. Now once again I have smaller portions than he does.
Back to top Go down
pixelchick
pixelchick

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySun 11 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

Langers249 wrote:
I'm just wondering how many 'sleevers' partners are piling on extra weight now they are eating our leftovers???

Yep, we learnt that one pretty quick! My husband would eat his main and then finish off mine. He gained weight in the first month or two of me having my op. It was also annoying as I would sit and watch him eat what could have been my lunch for the next couple of days (LOL). Anyway, we both decided it wqas a bad idea. Now we order one main and I take some of his or if we are out with the kids they order whatever and I scan the plates when they arrive to see what takes my fancy!

My husband has lost about 15kgs this year since he stopped eating my leftovers and has reduced his portion sizes as he sees how little is on my plate and I'm not only still alive, but thriving:)

I too take a take away container in my bag these days. I don't like having to ask for one, plus our local pub charges $2 for a container.
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySat 10 Sep 2011, 6:47 am

What a great idea for a thread! I will definitely take a container with me when I eat out.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

Paity10 wrote:
We eat out, i will order a meal, but i know Hubby can finish it off... Haven't really thought about taking a container or a ziplock bag, although now i will try that! Today we went to the RSL for lunch, and we have the buffett, so i could portion my meals, although once again, my eyes were too big for my stomach and I loaded my plate, although didn't even eat it only a small portion!!!! Hubby polished that off for me though! Otherwise if we take the kids, i'll just pick at theirs. I've had one person ask me why i didn't finish my meal, although i told her that It was just lovely, but I was only eating small portions as I was on a diet!!!!

Don't forget to bring a doggie bag when we meet at the same place tomorrow Paity! LOL!
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

I know what you mean, Langers. My DH is/was overweight and needed to lose weight, not find the weight I was losing. It has taken a lot of re-education for him to realise that he doesn't need to finish off my plate. When we eat out, we often 'share' two entrees, depending on selection of course. Ocasionally we will even share one main meal, like a lemon chicken and rice at Switch. I also always have a tupperware container in my bag to smuggle out my leftovers if there are any.

My DH has been successful at losing weight, he has lost 30kgs since I had the sleeve.

Good luck Langers.
Back to top Go down
Langers249
Langers249

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-08-13

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 5:33 am

I'm just wondering how many 'sleevers' partners are piling on extra weight now they are eating our leftovers??? I went out for lunch on Monday with hubby & we ordered one entree & one main - and shared both. Albeit I only had a tiny bit of each but he was more than happy. We don't normally have an entree so the variety was great.

I also did the same thing with my Mum the other day - she was great & it was heaps cheaper sharing both entree & main. My hubby has stacked on a few kilos over the past 6 weeks - I think he feels like he has to 'get rid' of the extra food around the house so I'm not tempted!! I've told him - not a problem. Not tempted at all - it only makes me pewk if I eat too much so the food is safe from me!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mortgagechoice.com.au/robyn.lang
Paity10
Part of the furniture
Paity10

Female
Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2011-03-14

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 4:48 am

We eat out, i will order a meal, but i know Hubby can finish it off... Haven't really thought about taking a container or a ziplock bag, although now i will try that! Today we went to the RSL for lunch, and we have the buffett, so i could portion my meals, although once again, my eyes were too big for my stomach and I loaded my plate, although didn't even eat it only a small portion!!!! Hubby polished that off for me though! Otherwise if we take the kids, i'll just pick at theirs. I've had one person ask me why i didn't finish my meal, although i told her that It was just lovely, but I was only eating small portions as I was on a diet!!!!
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 2:18 am

Quote :
I have always had the view that they did not cut my wallet in half like my stomach and a meal out is not about how much I can put in my mouth but about good company and a good time. That is what I am paying for.

love it LOL
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 09 Sep 2011, 12:04 am

In WA, a takeaway shop/restaurant is allowed to let you take home your leftovers; though a restaurant is not allowed due to 'Food safety regulations'. The zip locked bags sound like a great idea; especially for the pooch. I have not been worried about the leftovers as I am paying for the company if out with friends; when out with my partner I order an entree and give directions to the wait staff that when he finishes his entree bring out his main meal as I do not have one. (sometime I order a main and do the same as they are so much yummier and a wider selection)
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

Ye I don't use left overs, I use my doggie bags as intended, for my dog! She is in doggie heaven lapping up my left overs. Lol
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 8:43 pm

I never take left over food home, but thats just me.

I order a half serve (you only have to ask, some are quite accommodating), share with a friend, and if I have to order a normal meal (which is rare) I tend to go for something like altantic salmon or prawns as they are on the small size anyway.

Shellbell, I often order lamb cutlets if I am eating at the pub, as I can now eat 2 as they are so darn small!! I ask for no chips and small vegies, which are still huge anyway, and they only get picked at!!
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

Yeah have in Victoria, they have no issue with you packing and taking yourself - although they'd be obliged to advise against it. Food safety regulations mean they cannot be seen to be providing customers with "take way food" without appropriate packaging, storage temperatures, reheating instructions etc. you can do what ever you please they just cannot pack it for you. No issue in Tasmania though I have noticed.
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

Some sleevers carry ziplock bags in their handbags for left overs. I think this is a good ida,m but have never had an issue with places giving me my left overs in take away containers. Even really nice places.
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 1:35 pm

I went out for dinner tonight, there was not much on the menu that I knew I could eat. So I picked the lamb cutlets. I could manage half of a cutlet and a little veg. I asked if I could take the rest home. And I was told that I could wrap it in my servette as they could not as it was against some regulations. I think next time I will take a container in my bag. Has anyone else been told they can't take home the rest of their meal?
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 7:08 am

Went out for lunch, we tend to eat out a lot. I ordered a burger with cheese, tomato and lettuce. With the idea of eating the actually burger itself. I had a quarter and our dog had the rest:-) I wld have given him the tomato lettuce and bun but he just turned his nose up. I left it but did feel a twinge of guilt as the waitress took our plates away. Mine still had a lot left on it. To be honest I was testing everything out and came to realise I shld have ordered the grilled fish no salad no chips like I did last week. Next week fish it is.
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 2:47 am

Yep i just leave it or share with my mum
If anyone asks I just explain it was great but too much
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 1:17 am

Re: doggy bags.

All I ask is that you DO NOT take home the rice if you intend eating it over a couple of days.
Rice is the worst culprit for food poisoning (even if everyone tends to blame the chicken *grin*)

Did you know that food should be refrigerated within an hour of cooking if you are going to reheat it later?

(I did a food handling and hygiene course... it was very unpleasant)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 9:34 pm

I don't order meals that have leftovers, unless there is no other choice.

I went out for Chinese this week, ordered an entree of garlic prawns.
Yummo and I ate it all! Perfect size.
Back to top Go down
Synna
Part of the furniture
Synna

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 8:07 pm

Doggy bag food can last a couple of days if its stored properly. The main issues for getting food poisoning are - leaving the food on the bench all night (no refrigeration) and then too many heat/cool cycles. You should only reheat the portion you are going to eat right then, not the whole meal, eat half and refrige again. The heat/cool makes the bacteria breed more rapidly i think. Also, when reheating food make sure it's hot hot hot, steaming hot, not just lukewarm (that's also bacteria playground).

Having said that, there's only one place I'll take a doggy bag from (and I ain't even sleeved yet). The food is divine and the portions massive (seriously, 1 plate could feed 3-4 sleevers I'm guessing).
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 8:12 am

applesauce wrote:
I think the big difference with the doggy bag situation pre sleeve and after is if you took it home pre sleeve it was a one meal deal far far less likely to give you good poisioning. the talk in this thread has been just how many meals what 3 and 4 out of a $10 curry or chinese. It just is not worth it when you are new out from surgery throwing up for hours if not a day or more. Evrybody can do what they like but they should consider the consequences of turning a doggy bag into meal after meal after meal.

applesauce
$10 curry or chinese is not worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 8:07 am

Countrygirl wrote:
Gosh I never have a problem eating out and do so alot. Most of my friends and family know I have had surgery, well most of the town probably by now as if anyone asks I tell them. There are heaps of people who are quite happy to share what I can't eat. And if they don't I just leave it. It doesn't matter to me whether its an entree size or main. If its what I want then I have it. I enjoy every mouthfull regardless or how much I can fit in. Sometimes I can eat a full meal so don't waste much, others I can hardly fit anything in. Very rarely will I get a doggy bag unless it is absolutely devine food and I have so far only had that once.

One place that I will take a container tho is the Dome cafe. They do a lovely eggs benedict and I can only fit in half. Hubby doesn't want a serve and a half and its too lovely to waste do that will be a doggy bag one.

Also I wish people would slow down when eating. I could fit in alot more if I could take longer but when everyone else on the table is finished and your still eating it sort of takes the joy away. Like starting when they have their entree and still eating when they finish their main. LOL

Absolutely agree re people slowing down when eating. It's almost like subconscious peer pressure to finish your meal when they do. It's sooooo hard not to fall victim to it. We're going out next weekend to a 5 star restaurant for a friends 40th and its a 3 course set menu. I'm not going to bother with the entree and just give it to others will slowly nibble at the main and wont have any b'day cake. Will take a container in my bag for cake and left over main. The food is to die for.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 7:36 am

I think the big difference with the doggy bag situation pre sleeve and after is if you took it home pre sleeve it was a one meal deal far far less likely to give you good poisioning. the talk in this thread has been just how many meals what 3 and 4 out of a $10 curry or chinese. It just is not worth it when you are new out from surgery throwing up for hours if not a day or more. Evrybody can do what they like but they should consider the consequences of turning a doggy bag into meal after meal after meal.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 3:10 am

Gosh I never have a problem eating out and do so alot. Most of my friends and family know I have had surgery, well most of the town probably by now as if anyone asks I tell them. There are heaps of people who are quite happy to share what I can't eat. And if they don't I just leave it. It doesn't matter to me whether its an entree size or main. If its what I want then I have it. I enjoy every mouthfull regardless or how much I can fit in. Sometimes I can eat a full meal so don't waste much, others I can hardly fit anything in. Very rarely will I get a doggy bag unless it is absolutely devine food and I have so far only had that once.

One place that I will take a container tho is the Dome cafe. They do a lovely eggs benedict and I can only fit in half. Hubby doesn't want a serve and a half and its too lovely to waste do that will be a doggy bag one.

Also I wish people would slow down when eating. I could fit in alot more if I could take longer but when everyone else on the table is finished and your still eating it sort of takes the joy away. Like starting when they have their entree and still eating when they finish their main. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eating Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating Out   Eating Out Empty

Back to top Go down

Eating Out
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next