AuthorMessage
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

eating out a sleeve op Empty
PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyWed 25 Jan 2012, 7:19 am

I went to dinner on Saturday, and ordered an entree and asked for it to be brought out when the mains were. I just explained to the waitress that I cannot eat much... that it was impossible for me to eat a main. When I was done with it (it was delicious!), it looked like all I'd done is kinda moved stuff around on the plate, so I told the waitress there was nothing wrong with it, it was beautiful, but that I just couldn't eat anymore.

Previously, I've written notes on napkins to the kitchen staff, telling them why I didn't eat more of their meal. My ex is a chef, and I know they can get pretty offended if it looks like their food has gone relatively untouched... so figured I'd let them know why. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
happy sleever

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

I love my sleeve and I love eating out! I also travel for work and have been forced to eat out a lot. I tryv to order small meals whenever I can or share with my husband. I am fairly early on in my journey and still find I can be tempted to eat more than I should when I have food on my plate. I am working on getting my head to catch upn with my new tummy.
I certainly don't care about the cost of the meals, I would have eaten a full meal and more before my sleeve. What I don't like is wasting food, this is not a new thing, I have always hated ordering a portion of a meal I knew I would not eat.
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 1:29 am

Early on I would order starter and main and hubby would finish off the bits I left - this soon became a problem as previously always skinny husband started feeling uncomfortably full.
eating out a sleeve op 595690
So now I order a starter, he a mains and we ask for them to come out at the same time - no problem, we also share bits from each other's plates... I guess just pretend you're on an early date not been married for 25 years.

When we've been on hols we share a breakfast - just ask for 2 plates, and have very occaisionally asked for doggy bag.
eating out a sleeve op 65317
I too love food and all the wonderful flavours the world offers and I love my sleeve for allowing me to enjoy tiny bits of flavour bursts.
eating out a sleeve op 63412
I've been out with friends occaisionally and watched as they've been served huge bowls of pasta that they know they can't possibly finish - they ask for doggy bags too, and don't have any worries doing so.
eating out a sleeve op 446871
I wonder how much food is wasted each day in restaurants - serving sizes so huge even a teenage boy (I have two - fridge vacuums they are) would find it difficult to eat!

I think it all gets easier the more comfortable we are with our sleeves - and boy they are soooo much more comfortable than the band (can't eat chicken, bread, pasta blah blah blah!).

eating out a sleeve op 217555
Back to top Go down
Jag
Jag

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: eating out.   eating out a sleeve op EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 12:21 am

Well since I was sleeved and have lost alot of weight I love eating out!You dont get the looks(she shouldnt be eating that)the seats are more bum friendly and you get to try foods that you dont have to prepare.Yes I go for the entrees but have had mains that were too much for me but no shame in asking for a doggy bag and enjoying the food next day!!Most places are happy to oblige.I just say the food is lovely but I am comfortably full with loads of smiles.Works all the time.

Life is great post sleeve!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Suge
Suge

Male
Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyTue 24 Jan 2012, 12:02 am

J wrote:
Kate wrote:
I have never let my sleeve stop me from eating out. I went out several times in the first 2 weeks post op and just ordered soup or a milkshake. I order entree size meals when I can and if I can't I don't stress as if I hadn't been sleeved we would be paying for the meal anyways.

Well bloody said Kate..

There's to many people on here that I see complaining about paying for meals now they're sleeved, I get that they're worried about leaving heaps of food to be taken back to the kitchen or being question if everything was ok.

I think exactly like Kate does, I'd gladly of paid for a meal and destroyed the whole thing pre-sleeve so why shouldn't I enjoy a 3rd or half a meal now of something I really want instead of being almost forced to pick from the entree or sides menu.

Embrace your sleeve people, don't let it rule your dining experience or social life.

I often wonder why people bother with the sleeve if they just whine about it's restrictions. Well said dude.
Back to top Go down
hazelbaby
Part of the furniture
hazelbaby

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

I just got back from 10 days away with my partner. We went to the Northern Territory where the serves we're huge but expensive, even by Sydney prices. We usually ordered one meal or even entree and shared. Occasionally we ordered more and doggy bagged the rest. Nowhere we went had a problem with sharing or doggy bagging.
I ordered my own meal in one place, meatballs, which filled me up, really dense, it was an entree size and I could only eat two of the four. I' m sure the waitress thought there was a problem, that was probably the only meal where I did feel a bit conspicuous . Not that it really mattered.
Eating out with friends or family is lovely And food is a pleasure once you get your sleeve and eat in moderation, my experience anyway
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

Kate wrote:
I have never let my sleeve stop me from eating out. I went out several times in the first 2 weeks post op and just ordered soup or a milkshake. I order entree size meals when I can and if I can't I don't stress as if I hadn't been sleeved we would be paying for the meal anyways.

Well bloody said Kate..

There's to many people on here that I see complaining about paying for meals now they're sleeved, I get that they're worried about leaving heaps of food to be taken back to the kitchen or being question if everything was ok.

I think exactly like Kate does, I'd gladly of paid for a meal and destroyed the whole thing pre-sleeve so why shouldn't I enjoy a 3rd or half a meal now of something I really want instead of being almost forced to pick from the entree or sides menu.

Embrace your sleeve people, don't let it rule your dining experience or social life.

Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm

When we were traveling we had no problem eating out (every meal). We often ordered too much but got it right at times when we ordered one portion and shared, plus maybe an appetiser or something. I just decided that I'd order when I felt like and eat what I could, and if I didn't finish it, not to stress.

The portions in the USA are ENORMOUS as you can imaging. An appetiser was usually enough for both of us - can you believe that! We had Quesedillas a couple of times - I had two pieces and hubby had the rest - and we were both full (very yummy).

Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm

Ditto Kate - sometimes we can grab a doggie bag if worth it. I carry a few different sized zip lock bags in my handbag which come in handy sometimes. Even if I don't eat the left overs, my dog enjoys the treat.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 10:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

Once you have been sleeved a while, you get used to eating out, and it doesn't become a problem at all.

And most times if you ask, they will accommodate. I half ordered half serves of the menu, especially when it comes to breakfast like bacon and eggs.

I never mention anything about my surgery when dining out.
Back to top Go down
mammabear25
Part of the furniture
mammabear25

Female
Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

It has been 6 months since ive eaten out at a restaurant, purely because of a few reasons, hubby cant sit to eat a meal, cant afford it, and i cant eat very much anyway lol

But we went out to cafe aqua, nice little cafe in our local area, they serve pizza, pasta and a few chicken and fish meals but are so very very yummy. I too have a card with my surgeon signing it etc but for me the kids meals were either pizza, pasta or chicken nuggests, and they dont have entree servings, so i ordered a surf n turf. Hubby ate the 3/4 steak and chips i had the 5 prawns and the salad and a small piece of steak, and it was just a perfect serve plus i didnt feel guilty by wasting food or money. I guess in time restaurants will have to offer smaller serves simply because of the demand for it. Or we just go to a place where they have a salad or vegie bar and pinch some meat or fish from our partners or have a small entree, it will take time.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

My Doctor gave me a laminated card which he has signed. One one side is his business card and on the other side it states "this person has undergone a sleeve gastrectomy and therefre has aa imited capacity to eat therefore please allow her to chose from the childrens menu or from the entree menu.

I haven't tried to use it yet as there a few resturants that serve mushy food lol. I have eaten out once since being sleeved, at the Coffee Club where they have an all day breakfast. Was very amused by the waitress concern that there may have been something wrong with my meal - I ordered a 3 cheese omelette. It came with a whole slice of toast and cherry tomatoes - about six. I ate maybe a third of the omelette and that was it. A totally new experience for me lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: eating out a sleeve op   eating out a sleeve op Empty

Back to top Go down

eating out a sleeve op
Page 1 of 1