7 posters
AuthorMessage
dooben
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2012-09-22

After sleeve eating.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyMon 22 Jul 2013, 5:30 am

Thanks Trishah, I hope it stops soon! lol
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptySun 21 Jul 2013, 9:31 am

The sweats are a form of dumping that we get in the early stages... you can get it from consuming something fatty or too sweet ooooor eating a little too much which hits the stomach hard and empties into the small intesting too quickly because the tummy has not yet returned to processing the food properly yet.

It definitely settles down. Though I still get it on odd occasion if I eat a little too much too quick
Back to top Go down
dooben
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptySat 20 Jul 2013, 10:51 am

I've just started eating mushies and am finding it tricky. I only eat very small amounts but find it feels like it sits in my chest and my stomach feels full of air. I try not to eat fast. I'm also finding I have massive hot flushes after I eat and feel a bit queasy. Is this normal right at the start of eating again? I did have a leak and was nil by mouth (including water) for 9 weeks so it was about three months before I started to 'eat' again. Could my tum just not be used to food? Just wondering if my experiences were normal for someone starting mushies. Thanks :)

debs
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptySat 20 Jul 2013, 5:01 am

ok, I'll break it down

1) eating is different everyday as I like variety. I do have intolerances and there are foods I can't eat but don't really care.

intolerances: lactose in milk/yoghurt but can eat abit of cheese. fructose (sugars) - when I eat processed carbs and too much sugar I can get very sick, though I'm still adapting to this, on hormonal days I can eat sweets but depending on concentration of sugar, ie can have abit of good quality choc or even cake but lollies a couple or headaches/nausea. I will have a soy flat white or weak hot choc when I go to a café.

can eat minced or very tender meats not sausages (too greasy and yuk) or steaks etc. don't like the smell of meat anyway so no big deal. if I go fast food I'll get a small burger (usually cause I'm craving meat), I'' get some lettuce/tomato on it and only eat abit of the bread as the only bread I find that agrees with me is burgen ones, prefer grainy ones.

2) I had bowel issues before the surgery and got an official diagnosis of Divertitis (spelling), means I need to eat more fibre lol, hard when I need high protein. I do find eating some nuts, dried fruit helps sometimes, otherwise constipation is an unwanted guest.

3) some food I eat:
brekkie - either: egg, mushroom, tomato, spinach, cheese. burgen toasted with baked beans. protein shake. meat pattie and egg. (I mainly focus on protein at brekkie)
lunch - protein shake. protein/salad/burgen toast or wrap bread
dinner - protein (meat or vegetarian based) and vegies, I may have abit of mash too.
snacks - soy flat white. cheese/crackers pack. nuts. fruit (prunes, pear but can't have acidic fruit).
If I'm focused I eat about 1/2 cup otherwise I get uncomfortable. I still vomit at times but rarely food, mainly the frothy stuff, this happens if I over eat or eat to quickly.

Things I am learning: Don't compare myself with other peoples weight loss. Focus on all the good things like wearing feminine clothes and looking like a girl, being more active, playing on playground equipment and trampoline. Many more. That we all have different circumstances. Ask for help from people you trust if you need too (I see a psychologist, my gp and nurse and also talk to my surgeon. I'm seeing a WLS dietician too).

I don't regret the surgery even with the changes in diet etc.
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyFri 19 Jul 2013, 11:10 am

Hi, even with my small stomach it must be made of cast iron as i have been able to eat,pasta,rice etc well toasted grain bread but i have not tried sandwiches of any kind. I still limit myself to the 1/2 a cup size,i have just been so lucky that no food has actually made me vomit.There has been the odd time where i may have eaten a bit too quick and it has been uncomfortable but it is all a learning curve and i am down 23 kgs now and only another 5 to go ,slow but steady and i dont regret it for one minute,just regret not doing it years ago.
Back to top Go down
melmac1
melmac1

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2013-05-11

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyFri 19 Jul 2013, 10:42 am

Hi just thought I would let you know I am 5 mths out and vomit quite a bit I cant eat pasta,rice,bread or potatoes and find meat quite hard to tolerate unless It is a tiny piece covered with gravy. I enjoy a small piece of fresh salmon and still love cheese and cereal but my taste and love for food has diminished. In the first few weeks I was depressed over my loss of a crutch but now look at the scales every week and feel fantastic I now really do eat to live not the other way around. I was 133 kg at my worst and now weigh 95 kg and they just keep melting away. You probley will have some hard times first up but when you weigh up the risks and road we were all heading down it is soooooo worth it. Less risk of cancer, heart disease,diabetes and all that joint pain (and my weight really really depressed me I hated myself and couldn't look in a mirror or shop window)I believe its the best thing I have ever done the only down point I really do wish I had done it 10 yrs ago : ) Good luck Mel x Ps: this is just my experience yours might be vastly different but this has been my journey so far x
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyFri 19 Jul 2013, 10:15 am

i remember asking this question prior to surgery and no one coming forward with an answer, I still don't know if its because some people are scared they are eating too much (or too little?), but I don't think there is a "norm". I certainly don't think any of my journey compares to the "average sleever".
Though im at my goal weight, ive always felt I eat a lot more than I see other ppl on here eat, and certainly more than I ever thought I would be eating. More frequently, and larger portions than I was expecting. 2 years out, this is an "average" me day -
Breakfast - Protein shake (albeit I put less protein powder in than I used to these days)
Morning tea - a packet of Cool Pak popcorn (100 calories)
Between morning tea and lunch ill often have another "snack", could be a couple of dates, a homemade muffin or something else around the 100 calorie mark.
Lunch can be sometimes 2 slices of multigrain bread with a small can of salmon, or 3 cruskits with a red salmon/cream cheese spread if im buying it will be a small sized salad (if im really naughty I will get KFC snack box popcorn chicken or mcdonalds cheeseburger and small chips). I only allow fast food once a week in my diet, there are of course times I give in and have had it a couple of times a week. I didn't eat fast food for the first 6-8 months post surgery but I found myself wanting to be able to still enjoy foods and tastes so I have over the 2 years returned my eating to a more main stream form (but no where near what I ate before where my priority was taste and fat and fast). Now my dinners I try to cook with low fat options and protein etc.
To give you an idea of the "size" of what I can eat, its about 2 slices of pizza. BUt I have been bad at times, rested and eaten a 3rd piece. This is where you can fail and where I struggle. The times where something is really tasty and I want to eat more, but I physically cant, so I rest and then resume eating :( I need to get on top of this.
I guess the best way to describe my portion size is entrée sized. I think I probably eat about 1.5 cups worth of food at each sitting (if I had to cram it in and be measured). I think most ppl post op sit around the 1 cup and stay there. But as I said previously, I think ive always been able to get in more than what everyone else post op has so im not quite sure whats normal anymore! :)
Back to top Go down
sassyjane
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2012-11-04

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

Hi, yes every one is different,i try to stick to pretty much 1/2 a cup of food for my main meals,some days it might go over a tad and then another day I cant quite fit in the half cup. I usually have for breakfast 1/2 cup of porridge with added protein powder or any low fat cereal,weet bix or a good fruity muesli or a well done slice of grain bread well toasted etc.Morning tea I usually have half a protein bar and I have a late lunch of grain Vita Wheat with tuna spread,peanut butter etc or  I might just go for a couple of protein drinks through the day and some yoghurt. My main meal at night is still 1/2 a cup of good lean steak or chicken,steamed vegies or steamed jacket potato and I really know it if I try to push much more than 1/2 a cup in.I have never been sick from doing it though.It is just a matter of finding what is a comfortable feeling after eating and stop before you have eaten too much or it can get very uncomfortable.None of us are the same but you can always get a good varied idea of what to expect by seeing so many variations.In between all that do keep up all your fluid intake as well
Back to top Go down
getstuck
Part of the furniture
getstuck

Female
Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013, 1:15 am

I'm 2 months post op and I have 
Breakfast oats about 1/4 cup
Snack Sao biscuit with cheese x2
Lunch 1-2 mini angus patties
Snack chicken rissoles mini
Dinner a teaspoon of mash potatoe about 10 peas ans 1/2 of a chop

I mainly stick to eating as much protein as I can, but some days I eat more and others less but do try to stick to having 5 meals
 I haven't had any issues with keeping food down but I do eat slowly and chew chew chew

You really need to stay positive as worrying will only set you back, I don't regret it for a second , I don't feel like I'm on a diet just feel like normal just can't eat much, I am still surprised when I get on the scales and see then going down as I feel like I've done nothing to help them go down its simply that easy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. EmptyFri 12 Jul 2013, 1:00 am

For those that are months/years post op. What do you eat in a normal day? How often? I know it's only about 1/2 a cup and everyone is different. But just curious as to what people are having for the 3 meals or do some have more than that. I've heard some people make it 4-5 smaller meals through out the day. 
The dietitian said I'd most likely have 3 meals a day but didn't give me examples of what would be good breakfast, lunch or dinner options, apparently that conversation comes after the op. But I like to be armed with as much info as possible before hand. 

Issues with keeping food down? Does anyone have any regrets in getting it done? 

I have a million things going through my head! I"m scared  I could one of the ones that has trouble tolerating food and is mainly on liquids forever.. I know weird thoughts lol. My dh is starting to worry  a little and and freaking me out. *sigh*
Just so much to consider. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After sleeve eating..   After sleeve eating.. Empty

Back to top Go down

After sleeve eating..
Page 1 of 1