Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?

Go down 
+13
Manzie
Clarity
Carrie
ssteph2342
issi
sssss
*Lib*
Raingold
allieswans
Janette
applesauce
darkstar
leisa82
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
leisa82
leisa82

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-03-19

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello everyone. I'm six days post op and just wondering if anyone else DIDN'T have to do liquids for the first couple of weeks?

Today my nurse (who works directly with my doctor/surgeon) phoned me just to see how I was going, and when I mentioned that I was sticking to my fluids she said it would be okay for me to start having mushy food already. I was surprised and (although I don't doubt her) thought I would just see if anyone else out there had mushy food before two weeks? She said I could have anything soft and mushy, like eggs and even soft risotto if I wanted. Naturally I am very excited about eating sorta-kinda-solids again so soon - but I wanted to check with everyone here to see what they thought of this???

Thanks heaps everyone. This forum is such a great support network, I think I get on here nearly every day and read through the past threads, it's interesting to read about everyone's experiences and their words of advice. So I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read mine!

Leisa x
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 3 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 5:34 pm

I will have three weeks fluids and two weeks mushies when I am post-sleeve. I have noticed that my particular surgeon has longer times for each stage than many.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 12:02 pm

I started pureed food in hospital . My doctor only had me on fluids for 3 days the pureed and mushie food for about 3 weeks
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 11:23 am

I only had to do liquids on days 2-4.
Started on mushie/pureed foods on day 5.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 11:11 am

the norm use to be in the USA to be on soft food from about day 2. Very weird and VERY scarey when a leak occured. They tend to have now followed the more Aussie way of doing things now which is about 2 weeks on liquids. Nobody wants to scrape egg out of your insides if you have a leak.

But seriously after a week if you are showing no signs of a leak you are pretty much safe now and try them if you are allowed, just go back to liquids if you feel at all uncomfortable with the soft diet and wait another week.

Do remember to keep your food VERY wet to start with think chunky cans of soup mashed up. You do not want a mashed potato consistancy it is to dry. Also remember that beaten eggs can be hard to digest so try a soft poached egg rather than a scrambled one to start with :)

A soft poached egg adds protien and can be a great way to wet other foods :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 10:08 am

Hi Leisha82,

I was on liquids for 2 weeks, but suspect georgexiro (April 2010 sleevers) has been eating more textured things since his first week. That said, you'll have to check his case carefully. He was in hospital longer than is typical (because I think he had a hernia repair), and may have been on fluids during that time.

Basically, if you try something mushy, go cautiously (1/2 teaspoon at a time), wait between tiny bites, and it hurts, stop and get back to the nurse who's advised you to make the transition.

Good luck,

Dark
Back to top Go down
leisa82
leisa82

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 9:36 am

Hello everyone. I'm six days post op and just wondering if anyone else DIDN'T have to do liquids for the first couple of weeks?

Today my nurse (who works directly with my doctor/surgeon) phoned me just to see how I was going, and when I mentioned that I was sticking to my fluids she said it would be okay for me to start having mushy food already. I was surprised and (although I don't doubt her) thought I would just see if anyone else out there had mushy food before two weeks? She said I could have anything soft and mushy, like eggs and even soft risotto if I wanted. Naturally I am very excited about eating sorta-kinda-solids again so soon - but I wanted to check with everyone here to see what they thought of this???

Thanks heaps everyone. This forum is such a great support network, I think I get on here nearly every day and read through the past threads, it's interesting to read about everyone's experiences and their words of advice. So I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read mine!

Leisa x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2