Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?

Go down 
+13
Manzie
Clarity
Carrie
ssteph2342
issi
sssss
*Lib*
Raingold
allieswans
Janette
applesauce
darkstar
leisa82
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyMon 07 Jun 2010, 12:09 am

As I said, I'm being good.
The naughtiest thing I did was have a few sips of strawberry quik (made with skim milk) because I just desperately wanted a 'normal' flavoured milk after all that opti!
Now I can drink without pain I am sticking to water, 1/2 cup juice and protein rich liquids (or calcium rich ones with protein powder added)
I think my dietician will be okay with my choices.

I am actually amazed by how well I am going... I get the occasional 'I want to chew something' craving but they pass quickly and I can smell carbs at 50 paces (bread, raw potatoes, cooled boiled rice... I didn't notice they even HAD a smell before!) but I KNOW that is leftover addiction, it's not something I want to actually eat.
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 9:58 pm

Agreed Kylie - absolutely. Fortunately I had a food pixie looking after me beautifully and my surgeon is conservative in his approach. I was on just ice for what seemed like an eternity. Each hospy, surgeon, dietician is different as we aren't a 'one size fits all' process, and I can't stress enough how important it is that we follow what our particular team wants us to do, as hard or as different to others as that may seem at times.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 11:59 am

I had jelly as part of the restricted clear liquids phase in hospy. When I went onto the free fluids phase my first meal was a cute little tub of fruche and some jelly.

Since leaving hospy I haven't had any jelly. Trying to put the most nutritious things in 'liquid' format in my tummy I possibly can, so wouldn't be interested in wasting the space with icecream when there are Forme cheesecake yoghurts out there with my name on them. Don't get me wrong - I luuuurve icecream but just want to make the best of what this surgery is aimed at - weight loss assistance.

It is amazing the difference between various dieticians' recommendations, but try to stick with what yours tells you cos he/she is the one trying to guide you through the first tricky bits post sleeve.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 11:02 am

Ice cream was on my dieticians list as a no-no!!
Obviously no nutritional value.

And Jelly not allowed by the surgeon during the fluid stage. Confused
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 9:59 am

I've eaten forme yoghurt (honey and banana) with extra milk mixed in to make it runnier. (first day out of hospital)

I want to know why I am under strict instructions that ice cream and jelly are SEMI SOLIDS (as written in my dieticians notes) and not allowed until at least week 3.
I suspect it's just because they have little nutritional value... but I think that if I can handle custard and yoghurt I can definitely handle melted ice cream!

But I am being good...
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 9:47 am

I know manzie !! And thankyou !! I would love to be a certain size before Xmas so I don't feel the need to go looking for embellished circus tents etc. I'm finding that I'm still hungry but that ends around wk 8 when your body finally gets rid of the leftover ghrehlin. But like the others have said, I testiness/pancreas etc also produce it. SonANNOYING. !!
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 9:34 am

Raingold wrote:
I was given scrambled egg, toast, mashed potato and soup in hospital on day 3.

You were lucky, as this has changed, and Dr Harrison only allows fluids in hospital now.
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 878
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyFri 04 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

Congratulations on being 3 days post surgery SamiB! I hope it went well for you. Now, like me, we have the rest of our lives to get used to our new tiny tummies :)
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyFri 04 Jun 2010, 10:46 am

im now day 3 post op and i'm taking it slow with the new forme`satisfy yoghurt because i'm finding i'm still getting little pangs of hunger. i tried to do the fortisip and that in hospital and no dice.... it was just HORRID !!!!!!!!!! my doc says i can start introducing mushy/sloppy foods between day 7-10, but i feel we all know our bodies well enough to know our restrictions and our boundaries. and if you're trying to eat something and it's uncomfortable- don't eat it !!!!
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 12:27 pm

Forgot to mention - I didn't have a drain either.
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 12:26 pm

Wow Raingold, toast in hospital!

On day 3 in hospital I was given custard (yeah - right!), soup (beef stock/water), jelly and juice. I'm two weeks post surgery tomorrow and am eating lots of foods - which the clinic nurse doesn't have a problem with. I got the same advice as it seems some others have - take it slowly, and if there is ANY pain or discomfort, stop and go back a stage.

I've not had toast, but feel that if I take it slowly I'm OK with pretty much anything. If something isn't as 'wet' as I think is OK, I have small sips of water after each mouthful. This helps me eat slowly (as I am struggling with this as I'm used to wolfing things down!) I'm eating things like mince and scrambled egg (and smoked salmon) etc. My main concern is trying to get enough protein in! I'm thinking I'll do scrambled egg with tuna tomorrow. I'm SUPER low in energy and the clinic nurse thinks this is the reason (coupled with the after effects of the anesthetic).
Back to top Go down
Clarity
Clarity

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 9:21 am

Janette wrote:
Well you were lucky, I got chicken water.....oh I mean soup........LOL Boggled

Ah hah ha hah Janette - I had beef water in hosp - was absolutely repugnant!

I took myself off the liquid diet after a week or so and started experimenting with soft foods - dietician was all OK with it when I saw her yesterday.

Didn't have a drain so no blue dye - I had a gastrograph swallow - was absolutely FOUL! lol Ah hospitals, nothing like them for embarrasing experiences and repulsive "food". lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/clarevf
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 1:56 pm

both the male of the species and I had to drink this blue stuff that tasted like petrol. I so hope he has gone to gaitor aid now, as in our surgeon it was the worst thing about surgery.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 1:30 pm

I had no tests.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 1:11 pm

I had the blue dye at day 3 post op (my mouth was blue for days afterwards), then an aniseedy-chalky flavoured liquid while I stood in front of some sort of x-ray machine at day 4.

No leaks thank goodness, I was paranoid about that.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 10:24 am

I had the blue dye test too.
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 10:02 am

I did the blue Gatorade test myself about day 3 while the drains were in. All was okay. The hospital were progressing me to soft food anyway so I had to make sure for my own peace of mind as they were not going to test anything and I didn't want to chance it.

I had canned fruit, corner sandwiches and soup in hospital. I think sticking to liquids improves weight loss.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 9:42 am

I had no tests either...

Edited for crappy typing.... sorry!
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 12:40 am

Hi Leisa

It depends on the doctor... Ours did a "blue powerade" test on Day 3...we still have drains in and its the first thing other than water that they let us drink. The idea is that if blue liquid comes out the drain you have a leak....if not then they start you on nourishing fluids...which in our case included soup, yoghurt, ice-cream, milk, tea, coffee etc

After two weeks on nourishing liquids we move to a four week "transition diet" -- mushies, which get more lumpy each week.

cheers

S
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 12:16 am

leisa82 wrote:
I thought the x-ray was just standard procedure for everyone having the sleeve? Is that the case??
I had no tests post surgery to check for a leak.
Back to top Go down
leisa82
leisa82

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 11:08 pm

I tried some scrambled eggs last night... it felt like it grated the whole way down, so I guess scrambled eggs are still too dry or solid for me yet. Had some runny porridge with honey this morning and it sat much better.

I had an x-ray of my stomach 3 days post op to see if I had any leaks - they made me drink this HORRIBLE licorice tasting dye stuff then they followed its path through my tummy etc. My doc said it looked good so they started me on soup and coffee etc the same day. For the first two days post op all I could have was ice and water, they wanted to make sure I had no leaks before starting anything else. I thought the x-ray was just standard procedure for everyone having the sleeve? Is that the case??
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 10:02 pm

Well you were lucky, I got chicken water.....oh I mean soup........LOL Boggled
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 9:34 pm

I was given scrambled egg, toast, mashed potato and soup in hospital on day 3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: 3 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 5:34 pm

I will have three weeks fluids and two weeks mushies when I am post-sleeve. I have noticed that my particular surgeon has longer times for each stage than many.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?   Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op?  Nurse said it was ok? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone else have mashed/soft food less than a week post op? Nurse said it was ok?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next