Girly
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Neale

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-08-11

Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySat 22 May 2010, 9:27 pm

I can pretty much eat whatever I want. The only exception is breads - I can eat them but fill up pretty quick. I have gotten in the habit of drinking soda again, but I'm trying to quit (because I'm tired of spending money on it!). I'm 9 months out and kind of suprised that I can go out to dinner, order a meal, and feel normal (although I usually take the left overs home and eat them for the next 1 or 2 meals!). I was warned about the effects of alcohol after surgery, but haven't really found that to true. My tolerance is down a bit, but I can't drink it very fast anyways. I do miss chugging a beer though!
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 2:42 pm

Hi Applesauce

My son looooves Mythbusters - I saw that episode and that put something like a litre or more of fizzy drink in with some pop rocks (fizzy lollies) and weren't able to blow up a huge pig's stomach (to those members who haven't seen that show it was an actual oink oink animal pig, I'm not being derogatory) so I don't think a few sips of Coke while I'm watching Alice in Wonderland with the kids is going to harm me but ya never can tell eh...

Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share 314562
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 2:22 pm

you need to watch and old episode of mythbusters they tried to blow up stomachs with fizz they couldnt even stretch them hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 2:17 pm

Hi Stu

We in Oz generally cop the "not recommended" on the carbonated drinks but usually cuz of the sugar and calorie count of evil drinks like Coke etc. Also I found it too challenging to take more than a few sips of carb beverages early on so didn't bother (I've never been a big soft drink fan anyway pre-op).

Coffee, they tell you to give this up with the pre-op Optifast but again I assumed it was because dairy is out in the pre-op if you're having shakes made up on water. Haven't heard of caffeine being a hunger stimulant before? Obviously it is a stimulant (I question how anyone gets out bed without coffee but that's just me, I had a coffee on the way from the hospital after the op so I'm clearly an addict - don't use me as a role model pre-op people bad bad bad!!!)

Also the thought of carbonated drinks expanding your tummy is a tad scary - does anyone else know of research about this one of the coffee getting you hungry? Would be interesting to find out. Food for thought (as they say)
Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share 697586
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySun 02 May 2010, 3:20 pm

diets from the USA are based on the RNY for the most part and are thus very different than you will see from most posters here as most are australian.

we tend to lead pretty normal lives getting protien from food not shakes or suplements and live healthy productive lives on just a multivitimin.

we go out to dinner nd enjoy a glass of fizz or beer or wine and round of the meal with a coffee.

suggest no coffee for 2 weeks to some while on the preop diet and trust me you had better hide hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
stoooo

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Fizzy drinks   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySun 02 May 2010, 2:51 pm

My clinic prohibits patients from having carbonated drinks of any kind because the pressure can, over time, expand the volume of the stomach. They also prohibit caffeine, primarily because it stimulates hunger. I get the sense from the other replies that other clinics don't have such prohibitions?
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySat 01 May 2010, 1:51 pm

great everyone was interesting reading that Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share 446871
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySat 01 May 2010, 9:09 am

Can eat nearly everything! Only things I don't usually do is spuds, especially if they're not cooked well and things like hot chips, bit of a waste of tummy room though. Couldn't drink alcohol earlier on but now I can drink wine ok, even went a bit mad on the Zibbubbly the other day...

I do experience hunger, so I make sure I eat regularly and have healthy foods like yoghurt and fruit at work in case I need something extra. And if I get hungry it only takes a small amount of food to make it go away YAY

I couldn't drink fizzy drinks at first and I don't really like them but I went to a movie the other day with the kids and realised I was drinking Coke without any trouble at all (9 mths post op) so there you go. It's just a time thing.

No discomfort at all. I healed up fine a few weeks post op. It took a few months before I could comfortably eat whatever I fancied and now I only notice the sleeve if I rush my food and give myself indigestion which passes. I've never thrown up or anything so I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 7:45 am

Are there some foods that you just can't eat now? Is that because it gives you pain?

I too can eat anything but some foods have played up with me earlier on...still working out the triggers but try to avoid fatty dairy stuff...I too dont have much bread, spuds, pasta or rice...empty calories is a good thing to keep in mind...lol grog too!! It seems a waste so I just dont do it

Do you experience hunger at all now?

only very occasionally but even a drink fixes that problem

Can you drink fizzy/soft drinks at all?

Yep love coke zero and have a couple a week...slow drinking tho...lol or lots of burping.

Do you feel discomfort much now that all has healed?

None at all :)
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 2:06 am

Are there some foods that you just can't eat now? Is that because it gives you pain?

Can eat anything, but don't like foods that are basically empty calories (bread etc). I'd rather make sure I get protein in.

Yes, sometimes - but not badly and a small amount of food stops it in its tracks.

Yes - no problems at all. I usually exercise my main vice (Diet Coke) every lunchtime.

Nope - nada - none - since a couple of weeks post-op.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 1:59 am

Are there some foods that you just can't eat now? Is that because it gives you pain? I can eat pretty much anything but have found that I just don't like bread anymore. I was a carb junkie. Go figure LOL
Do you experience hunger at all now? Not really, if I feel a bit empty I have a drink of water or a cup of tea.
Can you drink fizzy/soft drinks at all? Yep but I don't like them as much as I used to.

Do you feel discomfort much now that all has healed? No discomfort at all, I have eaten a little too much twice but nothing at all other than that.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Your long term diet after sleeve?   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 5:14 am

Hi,
I forgot to say that I do still get hungry. Not every day but it can hit just before I go to bed and once I woke up about 3 in the morning and felt hungry, rolled over and went back to sleep.
Everything is Ok.
Jenni
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 1:07 am

Hi there. I'm 10 months post op.

Are there some foods that you just can't eat now? Is that because it gives you pain? None really. I do eat different now. My IBS is way better. Some taste in food has changed as well.

Do you experience hunger at all now? I have all the way since surgery. Loss of hunger is not a guarantee. It is way better that pre-op and a small amount is all I eat but it is a major frustration.

Can you drink fizzy/soft drinks at all? Dont drink them so no idea, cant see why not.

Do you feel discomfort much now that all has healed? Only if eat too much. Would never know I had the operation from a few weeks out to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Your long term diet after sleeve?   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 10:37 am

Hi Girly,
I was sleeved at the end of November.
I can eat anything, including steak and pasta - just make sure you chew it well.
Soft drinks are OK - a can will last all day - have what I want and put remainder in the fridge.
I find I get uncomfortable if I have a mouthful or two too much.
Having the sleeve was the best thing I could do for myself.
If I go to a restaurant, my husband gets a little extra.

Jenni
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 9:05 am

Nothing at all that I can't eat, although I find that anything really fatty (especially sausages) make me feel a little ill.
I do get hungry. If I eat before I get "really" hungry (nothing compared to hungry pre-op), then all is well. But if I wait, I find that it's easy to overeat - just by a little, and then I feel overfull and uncomfortable.
I can drink fizzy drinks, but prefer to let them go at least a little flat first - the bubbles make me uncomfortable if I drink it straight away.
No discomfort at all, other than as noted above, or if I eat too quickly.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 4:47 am

Don't eat hot chips or pasta anymore but that's not because I have pain from eating them. I did have a bad experience with both early on and it has just put me off.

Do you experience hunger at all now? Occasionally but still think it's more of a head hunger than a real feeling of hunger.

Can you drink fizzy/soft drinks at all? Yes, not a problem but they do make me gassy..

No

I am almost 2 years post op.

steph.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 3:39 am

Are there some foods that you just can't eat now? Is that because it gives you pain? nothing at all. a few people have a little trouble with tough red meat for a few months is about all I have heard.

Do you experience hunger at all now? Not at all a weird empty feeling but no hunger. some people do experence this tho but find it is easily filled, as in a tiny amount fills them back up.

Can you drink fizzy/soft drinks at all? not a problem, tho they can give me froathy burps. I use to be mega adicted to diet coke but only have the odd one now. you should tho avoid sugar filled ones as that is just a waste of calories and will mess up your weight loss.

Do you feel discomfort much now that all has healed? none at all and I am yet to hear of a single person who does.

the answers go for both my husband and myself and we are both nearly 2.5 years out.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm

I am not a long way down the track, only 4 months but I can answer your question at this stage.

Are there some foods that you just can't eat now? Is that because it gives you pain? I can eat anything, no problems.

Do you experience hunger at all now? No hunger, but sometimes get this empty feeling.

Can you drink fizzy/soft drinks at all? Yes

Do you feel discomfort much now that all has healed? Only discomfort I get is when I eat too much... Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share 595690
Back to top Go down
Girly

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 10:58 pm

I am yet to have the surgery, still in the researchin phase. I would love to hear from those who are a fair way down the track.

I understand about the early stuff, fluid, hydrations purees etc. But its more the long term that I would love to know about.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I know how wonderful it is to lose the weight, lost 44kg a few years ago, it was wonderful. But I didn't maintain it :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share   Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share Empty

Back to top Go down

Your long term diet after sleeve? Please share
Page 1 of 1