Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.

Go down 
+16
SamiB
Kati
MiddleWoman
Oki Doki Joy
spoggy
bombahnomore
shelly25
Caz
Tempest
whirlingdolphin
melbell
Janette
mandy4848
soulcatcher
MrsSea
2ndtimemum
20 posters
AuthorMessage
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptySun 13 Feb 2011, 6:02 am

Hi Also in hospital for six nights and nausea was an issue...dry retched day two but have only vomited once in whole experience (abt six months out). Nausea did linger on and off for several months but only minor inconvenience.

Good luck

S
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptySun 13 Feb 2011, 4:57 am

I was in hospital for six nights (only because the weather was hot and I wasn't able to get much fluids down) and nausea hasn't been a problem - have a bit of trouble with milky products but that's about it!
Back to top Go down
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptySun 13 Feb 2011, 4:54 am

I had nausea & vomiting for the first day but after I stopped the Fentanyl (I.V pain meds) I was perfectly fine. I was in hospital for 4 nights. No more nausea or any problems since :)

Best wishes for surgery :)
Back to top Go down
Berta
Berta

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptySat 12 Feb 2011, 8:53 pm

Hi!

Firstly, all the best for your op. You must be getting excited? I know I was sooo nerxcited the day of I could barely breathe regularly! (BTW, nerxcited is my made up word of the week - nervous and excited)!

Okay, I was nauseaous when I woke up from the op but I think that was because I got up straight away to go the toilet. I was also nauseaous when I drank anything over the next day or so. I worked out though that the PCA was causing it. I don't do well with morphine or any of those sorts of drugs.

The nausea stopped and then on day 3 I decided to drink one mouthful of Sustagen followed by one mouthful of orange juice (I hated the Sustagen). It curdled in my tummy I think causing me to vomit (youch!!!) My surgeon came up to see me immediately all concerned about the vomiting until he found out what I'd drank. Then he laughed like a hyena!

I was in hospital for 6 days but that was largely due to an infection that elevated my temperature to around 40. It was in the IV bung site apparently and my arm swelled up like mad.

I occasionally get nausea now but apparently it's my body's new hunger signal. I only get it when I haven't eaten in ages - I try to avoid that now as much as possible and just have small amounts regularly.

I hope that's helpful anyway. All the best for you op - you're doing a great thing for yourself you know?

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 446871

Cheers for now
B x
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptySat 12 Feb 2011, 1:04 am

I still get nauseous alllll the time and I stayed in hospital for 2 nights.
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 3:47 pm

The only nausea I have now is when I take large pills - I have to cut them in half. Sometimes I have to give up on taking them all at once as well. Closer to surgery, I think most of the nausea I experienced can be attributed to the anesthesia.

Zoe Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 135961
Back to top Go down
2ndtimemum

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone - you have helped me so much.

I have been feeling really anxious about the recovery, but you have eased my mind.

Just over 2 weeks to go x
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 12:30 pm

Hi,
I was in hospital for three nights, and was lucky to have nausea on the first day only.
I quickly worked out the Fentanyl in the PCA was causing waves of nausea.
It is a bit scary feeling that you are going to vomit when you have just had your stomach operated on, but I found the anti-nausea injections very helpful. On balance, it wasn't a bit deal.

The only nausea I still get is from eating overly sweet things, and I don't do this much anymore.
X Kati
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

I stayed in hospital for 2 nights. I have had no pain, nausea or vomiting. All the best!

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 9:04 am

My surgeon Dr Taylor said he looks very closely for hernias, and fixes them during the sleeve. He said he has found that patients with no reflux or nausea before the sleeve, will sometimes develop symptoms if hernias are not fixed at the same time.

I had a hernia fixed, never suffered from nausea in hospital or out of it.

I also dont suffer from nausea from morphine or anaesethetic with normal ops. I did wonder if cutting out 85% of my stomach might lead to an upset tummy (lol) but no, still no nausea. Do you normally have nausea post-op?

I have a slight background "sicky" feeling if I havent eaten for 12 hours or something. Not being hungry, its a timely reminder to eat. Easily ignored if something is good on the telly or im going to bed. I guess everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 8:34 am

Hi, I had nausea in hospital. I was in hospital for 6 days. I now get nausea intermittently. I am now 4 months out from the op.
Back to top Go down
bombahnomore
bombahnomore

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 6:13 am

I was in hospital for 2 nights and I didn't have nausea that bad. It was more when I had to get up out of bed and that was probably about 6 hours after surgery but by the second day I was up and out all the time. I went in on Monday morning and was out Wednesday afternoon. I was off all medication by Friday of the same week however I am still injecting Clexane...only 12 more to go. Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 697586

Everyone is different and you will be fine.

Good luck, it will be the best thing you ever did.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 3:34 am

Nausea was the worst part of the whole op for me,i was sick for 3
days.pain wise was fine the nausea SUCKED!!!
I wasnt using the painrelief button alot but when the nurse said that can make you sick i didnt press it again.
since the op i hear you can actually have anti nausea drugs preop to help which i definatley
would have done if id known to ask.
that being said it was over with in a short amount of time and was worth it!!
cheers
shelly

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 63412
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 3:15 am

3 (or was it 4) nights, no nausea, no gas pain, no real pain, just a little bit of discomfort!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 3:11 am

2 nights no nausea, lucky me LOL
Back to top Go down
whirlingdolphin
whirlingdolphin

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyFri 11 Feb 2011, 12:23 am

I was in 3 nights and i had no nausea actually i was very lucky i had none of the bad stuff... nausea, gas pain, pain.
Back to top Go down
melbell
Part of the furniture
melbell

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2010-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyThu 10 Feb 2011, 9:02 pm

hey

i was in 4 nights went home for 1 day back in hospital so all up i spent 2 weeks ,i normaly have nausea every morning when i eat brecky but thats cause i hate having brecky always have.

mel
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyThu 10 Feb 2011, 8:54 pm

I am 14 months post-op and have NEVER had nausea or vomiting.
I was in hospital 3 nights.

Good luck with your surgery.

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 217555 Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 217555
Back to top Go down
mandy4848
mandy4848

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyThu 10 Feb 2011, 5:19 pm

Hi 2ndtimemum,

the only nausea I had was when I first woke up and it only lasted 5 minutes max. I'm now 4 weeks post op and haven't had any nausea since. The only reason I had it was from the morphine. Maybe you will be lucky like me.
Back to top Go down
soulcatcher
Part of the furniture
soulcatcher

Female
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyThu 10 Feb 2011, 5:01 pm

Hi Emma,

I was a Friday midday admission, discharged as soon as I saw the surgeon Monday.

I only had nausea Fri/Sat/early Sun and haven't had any problems or meds for nausea since midday Sunday (stopped using fentanyl pain pump Sat morning).

Today is one week post-op, I'm just on Nexium (which looked huge the first time I saw it, but slides down nicely whole)' but they discharged me with Digesic (unopened) and I forgot to take Panadol Tuesday night so haven't worried about pain relief since.

:-)
Karyn

PS I am still getting used to the new sounds my tummy makes, and occasionally forget to take small mouthfuls of fluid . . . but cordial (just a little, not full strength) makes water easier to swallow, take some cordial or Gatorade to dilute with water into hospital with you.
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyThu 10 Feb 2011, 3:41 pm

Hi Emma,

I was in hospital for 3 nights.

I still have nausea now, every now and then. Usually when I eat.
Back to top Go down
2ndtimemum

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. EmptyThu 10 Feb 2011, 2:53 pm

Hi everyone. I am 17 days away from surgery and I am just wondering... Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. 697586

How long did your nausea last and how long did you stay in hospital?

If you are willing to share your experiences I would be very grateful.

Cheers
Emma
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.   Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy. Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you please share how long you had nausea for and how long you were in hospy.
Page 1 of 1