AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Any regrets long term? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptyFri 21 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm

Ok, if you end up being called forward due to cancellations, think of it as a blessing in disguise.   All I can say is do it!  You have got an Australian Dr who is regulated closely and if in any case, ask him for his personal emergency number - and use it even if you feel silly because it actually might be a lot worst then you think.  2-3 hours getting checked over, YOUR surgeon looking at the results.  It may be nothing and what the worst, oh well feel a little embarrassed, or end up in hospital for months?  Yes it means you might miss Xmas and depending on hoe are coping, you may get a day or 2 pass as long as you don't drive and prove you will stick to the diet.

Yes you can't eat the same foods sadly (just ignore the meat) and if you are open with your family about the surgery, grab the blender out, blend some yummy foods (mince & ham blend well) with some potato mash, loads of gravy and take your time nibbling looking for the full signs (e.g. hiccup, burb, runny nose ect)  Whatever you do, don't compare what you are eating against others (if you can pre-prepare it) as they will be so involved what they are eating and eyeing the next dish to eat it all lol.  Personally I would ask your Dr first as this part 2-3 of the diet.  If you are on liquids only or had any complications the you are stuck on the brandy eggnog...

I little trick I learned in hospital is I couldn't stand the water they gave me so I spent a fortune buying purified water from their vending machines mixed with my fav cordial (surgeons DO NOT CARE THE CALORIES YOU ARE CONSUMING IN HOSPITAL).  So best advice I can give you is buy up on purified water & fav cordials.  If you can prove to him you are drinking over 2L per day he will let you out :-)
Back to top Go down
Budgie

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptyMon 17 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

Hi Laloopsy,  I'll be two weeks post op on xmas day this year.  My date got called forward because the surgeon had quite a few cancellations just before xmas, so you aren't the only one who has worried about it I think!  I have just decided to bite the bullet.  It needs to be done.  I have told the kids that I am having some tummy problems that the doctor wants to have a look at and that I will need to take it easy for the first few weeks of school holidays.  My partner has several weeks off too, so he should be able to distract them as well and take the pressure off me.  I have got most of my xmas shopping done so hopefully won't need to go to the shops in the xmas rush. Good luck with your surgery.

Singlemum, you mention of pav for xmas day dessert is a great idea.  I think I'll make one (and savour one mouthful LOL).
Back to top Go down
Singlemumto1

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptyTue 11 Nov 2014, 4:05 am

I'm on the Gold Coast, but had my Surgery done by Dr Adib who has a clinic here on the coast, but operates out of Sunnybank, the Wesley and one other in Brissy. I had mine done at Sunnybank. I highly recommend Dr Adib, one of my friends had hers done by him aswell. I'm sure you've got a great surgeon though, no matter who it is. There is a surgeon section on the forum where people post who they've used, so others can get recommendations and I've seen nothing but good things from the Brisbane based surgeons.
I'm glad my ramblings have helped in some way :) It's a huge thing you're doing, but it's going to change your life for the better. Just keep the long term goal in mind when you have a pre-surgery freak out, that's how I dealt with it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Laloopsy

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptyTue 11 Nov 2014, 1:57 am

Thanks singlemumto1, what lovely encouraging words you have given me - and Wow, you have lost a bucket load of weight in 12 months! My problem is without doubt emotional eating. I do to have such and enormous amount of weight to lose (30kg to goal) but I've heard when you don't have the huge kgs to shake off it does take Longer. But yes, I can't wait to spend a summer less fat and sweaty Next year! Even if I can drop 10kg by feb I would be totally relieved! More excited than nervous now but certainly still nervous. Are you in brisbane, and if so who did your op?
Back to top Go down
Singlemumto1

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptyTue 11 Nov 2014, 1:34 am

Hi, just wanted to add my 2 cents :) I'm glad you've decided to get it done sooner rather than putting it off. I got mine done last december, about 2 weeks before xmas. I started purees a few days before xmas day, that was interesting to say the least. For my xmas day meal I pureed potato salad and bolegnaise mince, and ate that along with the yolk of a curried egg. I felt like ham, so I chewed a piece to get the taste and spat it into a napkin discreetly. And I made sure I savoured the delicious soft texture of pavlova as it went down, the only "normal" thing I ate all day. I didn't regret having my surgery around xmas time for a second. I also drank raspberry ice tea in a wine glass, to make it feel like I wasn't missing out on alcohol.
And to be totally honest, I didn't feel like I was missing anything, except perhaps that horrible full feeling that comes after xmas lunch, although my purees certainly filled me up :)

I too know the QLD summer all too well, and all I can say is just suffer through this summer, stay in air con & just recover, and think where you'll be by next xmas. I'm almost 47kgs down, and even though I'm a fair way off from where I'd like to be, I'm able to tolerate the heat so much easier this year compared to past years.
All the best with your surgery, the post surgery phases feel never ending, just find whatever food you like to get you through each phase, for me it was pureed bolegnaise mince, kind of tastes like it's meant to (taco mince does not, lol). 
Enjoy the next year of your life, you definitely won't regret it when you see how different life is for you & your family 12 months down the track :)
One last tip for having the sleeve pre-xmas, get organised with your xmas shopping, or at least lay-by. I did not, and was left xmas shopping post surgery while still on liquids, not fun at all :)

P.S I just read that bit you wrote asking if we regret not eating much, and I'll be honest, there are moments I miss not being able to stuff my face & binge as much as I wanted, but that just reaffirms that I made the right choice, and seeing my psychologist is helping dealing with issues instead of using food. I had no willpower, so I had to get this surgical form of willpower, god knows where I'd be without it. Mostly, just try to enjoy the novelty of feeling full after eating so little, it's quite entertaining seeing how little it takes to fill you up these days, not just for me, but friends (the ones who know) when we're out for lunch etc. Don't think of what you're not eating, think of how great it is that such a small amount leaves you full, where (if you're anything like I was), we didn't even really understand what feeling full felt like before, we just kept eating. I've even been to a couple buffets post surgery, I just get one plate with a tiny bit of everything, and slowly pick at each bit until I've tried it all. Rather than dwelling on not getting my money's worth, I make sure I try everything (although I did stuff muffins & danishes in a napkin after a particularly pricy buffet breakfast recently, my mum & my daughter thoroughly enjoyed them).
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 9:20 am

Coming in late again to the thread but so glad to read that you've decided to have it earlier rather than wait.  There will always be something in life that you could put it on hold for...if you're going to do it...do it now and not wait (my opinion).
Back to top Go down
Laloopsy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 7:33 am

Wow, thank you everyone for your opinions and advice. I have decided to get it done sooner rather than later, after all, Xmas is about the experience rather than the food! My middle child starts prep in feb and I want to have a great last month at home with her. Thank you all!
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 3:45 am

Laploopsy,
I had 1/2 my bowel removed not quite 2 years before my sleeve, and had a cut about 30cm up and down my tummy. That was painful, with this op I only had 5 little cuts about 1-2 cm long that were glued together, no stitches... unreal, and no pain, after the 1st day. I was in HDU for 2 full days after and in hospital for 5 days, because I had lots of lesions and my surgeon was being very cautious, which I felt was a good thing. I haven't had any vomiting at all since my sleeve, I was driving about 7 days after my operation, which was ok with me.
No "queezy" feelings. In fact I would call it a dream run, and I feel extremely lucky.
How old are your kids? This will be just one Christmas in your/their lifetime in big picture, the kids probably wont remember in years to come, but what they will remember is how great it will be to have a lot healthier and happier Mum....
Wonda, it still amazes me how different all the surgeons are regarding what to eat and not to eat...
I went to a group session with a dietitian couple of weeks after my op, and felt it a complete waste of money... it was for people who had been sleeved, but all the information sheets were for the gastric banding.... what a joke!
My surgeon said that if I ate fresh bread, within the 1st 3 months, it would glug up in my stomach and the pain would feel like I am having a heart attack.... that being said, was enough to put me off, and I know that all those things that I chose not to now have in my home, were the reason why I put on all the weight in the 1st place.
We are all different, aint that the truth! lol

I look at my sleeve, like when I gave up smoking 20 years ago, (one of the hardest things I have chosen to do) Since then I have not ever even had one puff of a cigarette... In my mind I feel tht if I did have just that one puff, I MIGHT be like an alcoholic and fall off the wagon and go back to smoking.....
With my sleeve I have set in my mind the same idea, if I have one lolly or chocolate or a 2 litre tub of icecream, I will fall off the wagon and that will be it! that's just how I cope at this stage, might change in the future, who knows, as it isstill early days yet.

Loploosy, Christmas is just one day, out of your lifetime....
Back to top Go down
nmum07
nmum07

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 3:26 am

Thanks laloopsy for the question and elly and innerninja for your responses. I too am a late nov sleever and had worried about Christmas... I'd worried about all the questions about what i was eating or not while I was at my inlaws and you're right everyone will be looking after themselves and not worried about what I'm doing. Good to know that at four weeks I'll be able to sample some of my meal.... Christmas isn't Christmas without brandy custard!!
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 3:08 am

Hey Laloopsy, I am 6 weeks out and just shy of 16kg since beginning Opti. Still getting to know my tummy but I have been able to eat many foods without any problems.  I have eaten all of the foods Ellio chooses not to, lol, except lollies.  I try to eat a balanced diet and my dietician wants me to include carbs like bread/pasta/rice, etc. I have also had the odd chocky, nuts, stir fries, roast veges, oven baked fish and chips (half a fish fillet and 3 chips), pancakes, fruit and carrot sticks - among other things, but this list will give you an idea of the variety of foods and food textures.

In regards to choosing the right time, there is always going to be some obstacles in our way that we have to decide to deal with or work around. 

Whilst I agree with Elly and would personally go with the end of November to get it out the way sooner, Christmas is a tricky time for recover as it is very food focused and social so it probably depends on how you usually do things. At 4 weeks out (which is about where you would be at Christmas time if having it in late Nov), I was JUST moving from puree to regular food and really was over Opti and ready for eating again.  I did have some challenges with low energy and some food experiences (a bit of discomfort and a couple of "returns" when things didn't go down well) and that could be hard if you were out and about at other people's places, however, hopefully you could make some nice purees from the food everyone else is having or, as I did by that stage, just mash a few things on my plate and nibble well on little bits rather than process them.  If you can manage to get it out of the way then, your January holidays with the kids could be the "fun" you would like them to be.

However I also see a benefit to January for your op. You could have a nice REGULAR Christmas and then start onto your Opti (the day after boxing day - gotta have leftovers, lol).  You could do a couple of outings and things with the kids early on before the op, then for while you are recovering, you could stock up on things to keep the kids busy and stimulated without you having to do too much.  You could stash these away and each day or couple of days, pull something new out to keep them entertained - nothing expensive, just a mix of things that we teacher's call "busy work" and some items for more active play - they probably have plenty, but a few novelty items will stop them getting bored, eg;  colouring or sticker activity books, ready to go craft activities, video/jigsaw/board game from second hand shop, plasticine/paint/playdough/drawing materials, balls, water pistols.  Obviously I don't know your kids ages and you will know what they are interested in.  Personally, I remember spending hours building with toothpicks and little corks someone gave us or playing with my Spirograph set.  Once you've had a week or so of recovery, you may be cleared to drive and could take the kids to one of the kids movies that are showing or to a nice local park. You may even find that some of their friends parents will offer to have them over for a play date or take them out with them to the movies or whatever outing they are doing if they are aware of your surgery.

Anyway, I think I'm getting carried away.  I hope you can decide on a time that suits you and get your journey started.  I have to say that, whilst it is early days for me, I also don't regret my decision to have the sleeve. I really appreciate the feeling of fullness and feeling satisfied on small amounts of food, and not feeling hunger pangs when I know I shouldn't.  Obviously the restriction is challenging at times, but I am already starting to feel some health benefits from it and look forward to that getting even better.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
innerninja
innerninja

Female
Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2013-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 2:49 am

Hi, I was sleeved Nov 26 2013. My physical recovery has been awesome. I had Xmas lunch at my in-laws place, who do not know about the op, I had just started on soft food, I have to admit I was quite nervous. But some carefully selected soft veggies and even a little super tender roast beef, with loads of gravy. Every one was more interested in what they were doing and didn't notice. When pudding and custard were offered, I accepted, ate the custard only. Hubby was great, when he finished his meal he either pinched food off mine then dumped his plate on top of mine and went over to the sink and cleaned up. I never feel deprived, I always feel satisfied.. Can honestly say I've never missed food at all. There have been some issues with head hunger, but I've dealt with that. 
I went back to work after 3 weeks off, but at a push could've gone back at 2. I have never regretted having it done-never. Best thing ever, wish I'd done it earlier. 
All the best to you and your new life
Back to top Go down
Laloopsy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 2:37 am

Wow, thank you so much! That was such an inspiring msg elly- and you can relate to the summer yuck! Was your post op recovery gross (as in did you vomit or feel queezy?) or was it ok? I've had 3 Caesars so the pain thing doesn't worry me, it's the nausea and vomitting that does.
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 1:59 am

Hi Laloopsy,
We all worry before the sleeve, that we wont be able to eat this or that after, but guess what???
I can eat anything now, that I chose to eat. (13 weeks) The sleeve is so different to the gastric band that some of my friends have had.... They are so limited in what they can and cant eat! Not so with the sleeve. I can eat anything, only in a lot smaller amounts.
I choose not to have any bread, rice, pasta, lollies, chocolate or icecream in my home, or to eat... That is MY choice. If I want to eat that crap, I guess I could. But I CHOOSE NOT TO....
I had my sleeve on 30th july 2014 (13 weeks), best thing I ever di for ME!
I am nearly 30 kilos lighter, and feel so much better. I have had quite a few operations, and I could not get over how well I felt after this operation, considering I had 2/3 of my stomach removed.
I have only told 2 close friends about having this op and one said to me yesterday that since my op she hasn't seen me get all hot and flusted like I used to do. I go for walks with my little dog on the beach and just love my life now.
Who ever would have thunk? NOT ME!
I used to hate summer, but this year I am really looking forward to it.
I think, if it was me, I would rather have it all over and done with before Christmas, so that you can then look forward to the rotten Qld weather, and school holidays with your kids, and be happy watching your weight drop off.... By the time they go back to school in feb, it will be like 3 months, and you will then be, where I am now!
There will always be some reason, why you COULD postpone your sleeve, that choice is yours!
BUT
Good luck to you with your sleeve, and your new life.... This is one of the best things I have ever done for ME, and I am so pleased that I had the courage to do what I have done!  Happy? Yep! I have NO REGRETS!

Go for it, you'll be glad you did!

Life is great

Elly
Back to top Go down
Laloopsy

Female

PostSubject: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 1:39 am

Hi all, I have had to postpone my surgery yet again (super not yet released) and am having massive uncertainties creep in each time I've postponed (now twice!) I wanted to have a less sweaty and fat summer this year as brisbane in the heat for a fatty is blerk...however I'm worried about postponing to the end of November cos it might spoil my Xmas if I'm barfing and sick?! Is that stupid? But then if I wait until jan I'll be recovering during the kids holidays and not much fun?! I wish I could know how I will respond to the sleeve and if I'm going to cope ok or still be crook by Xmas. Does anyone regret having it? Do you miss being able to eat more?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any regrets long term?   Any regrets long term? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any regrets long term?
Page 1 of 1