Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySat 20 Mar 2010, 2:57 am

Hi Bibliophile, and anyone else who made the same mistake as me and bought Soy Protein Isolate.

Over the last few days I have been trying a few ways of using mine up ($$ a bit tight to just throw it out). It seems to be fine when added to savory dishes (after cooking) So far I have added it to mashed kumera, chicken casserole and chicken mince and apart from a slight thickening effect you wouldn't know it was there.

Good luck with yours - Carrie.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyThu 18 Mar 2010, 3:42 am

sounds vile, before you throw it in the bin can I suggest you try putting it in the blender with a pile of icecubes and big spoon of yoghurt then wizzing. All you are wasting then is a spoon of yoghurt. I am suggesting this because THAT trick minus the yoghurt makes optifast drinkable for a lot of people who can not swollow the stuff. The ice cold and super blending might work for your protien shake.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Bibliophile
Bibliophile

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-02-09

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 10:02 pm

Hey KXY1983,

I went to the health food store today to buy whey protein isolate. There was a sale on soy protein isolate. It had 25 grams oof protein, so I got it. What a mistake! First of all, it was thick, chalky and had a pasty consistency, even with 12 ounces of water. Then it tasted TERRIBLE! I try putting in strawberries and honey. Nothing helped. I am eating too little to waste tummy space on something so wretched. I am going to toss the can and go back and get whey protein isolate. I guess you get what you pay for.
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 3:26 am

I just found a recipe that i haven't tried yet but will soon, Its wheat free, High protein, Low GI

I might also copy paste this to the Mushy food recipe section, but Im putting here seeing as this thread is attracting people interested in their protein intake. I warn that these might not be as fluffy as the pancakes you are used to, and are probably a bit heavy for some, but Im still excited to try these.

6 organic egg whites
1 cup rolled oats
2 scoops (about 60g) Whey Protein Isolate powder (natural flavour or Vanilla)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine the egg, WPI, and cottage cheese into a blender. Blend until smooth and combines, add the rolled oats, baking powder, and cinnamon then blend again until creamy. Cook in non stick pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side until golden.

This is the nutritional info provided with the recipe, I believe this might make enough for 2 meals for sleevers, hard to say til I've made them myself, would love to hear from anyone who tries them.

Calories 115
Protein 12g
Fat 1.5g
Carbs 10.8g

as for oil, spray canola is good for this, or clarified butter (ghee), I don't recommend olive oil for this recipe. just enough so they don't stick to the pan, don't go overboard.

Top them however you like, natural yoghurt, fresh strawberries or other berries.
Or you could make some lite whipped cream by whizzing some skim milk in the blender with a touch of liquid splenda and a dash of vanilla essence, and have with some sugar free strawberry jam.
Back to top Go down
Bibliophile
Bibliophile

Female

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 2:18 am

KYX1983,

Thank you for all of the great info. Your post on relieving consipation was very useful. I am going to go out and buy some whey protein isolate tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyWed 17 Mar 2010, 1:27 am

I went and had a look at the Muscle milk range and it does seem like a good product, good quality protein with a lot of other things that are good for health, weight loss and other things, the flavours look good too. The only thing i didnt like about it was the carb content, I get enough carbs through my other foods that i dont need any more in my protein supplementation.

Oh I should also mention Muscle Milk has fibre in it as well, so for those having trouble getting enough fibre might benefeit from this range
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyTue 16 Mar 2010, 11:05 pm

there are plenty of whey protein powders that can be bought for less than $10 per kg, but the good majority of them are horrible to use, and are usually around 50-60% protein, often have added carbs, the particular whey protein isolate im talking about is the purest form of protein you can buy in a powder, and you would be lucky to find it any cheaper for $40/kg and that isnt in any container whatsoever, mine costs $45/kg its scooped from a big barrel into plastic bags like at the fruit n veg stores, and you pay per weight. The branded ones from the body building stores are more expensive and have those calorie free flavours added. In comparison, whey protein concentrate is about half the cost, but its no where near as fine or as good a quality and only has about 70% protein, the rest being filler. WPI is 90-93% pure bioavailable protein and has many essential branch chain amino acids that are very good, WPI has less fat and lactose content than WPC. There are however a few immune boosting compunds that are lost in the refining process.
Have a read of this short article about it all, the product they recomend isOptimum 100% Whey Protein and is readily available in Australia (they sell it in massive tubs at my local health food store in southport). Its instantised, which means it mixes with water with a spoon, and has a wide range of flavours. I still have been buying the pure unflavoured WPI from the bulk food store accross the road, but in another couple weeks when i start hitting the gym for weights ill definitely be buying this in a few diff flavs, (i heard its one of the best tasting choc flavoured protein drinks on the market, and im interested in trying their cookies and cream flavour and rocky road flavour). The product has zero carb content, so its not going to interrupt keytosis and your fat burning, It will actually boost your metabolism.

I will mention the key thing about protein once again, If you are trying to burn kgs, and your not getting enough protein in your diet, your body will actually dip into muscle tissue and burn it for energy rather than fat, that last kg you lost might have been a kg of muscle if your not getting enough protein.

Here is that article,
http://weightlossandtraining.com/whey-protein-isolate-vs-concentrate

there are literally thousands of articles out there about various proteins,

An alternative to whey protein is egg protein, ill paste an excerpt from a website

Quote :
EGG PROTEIN
Before whey was all the rage, egg protein was considered the gold standard of protein powders. It is still one of the best protein powders that money can buy, and it offers benefits that whey doesn’t.

Egg Protein Powder Egg protein is still one of the highest-quality proteins available. It is virtually devoid of carbs and fat, and it is readily digested and absorbed. It is a great pre- and postworkout protein. Egg-white protein is high in sulfur-containing amino acids. These aminos are critical to the body’s hormone-producing pathways. It’s a good choice for those who are allergic to cow’s milk proteins and for those who do not regularly consume eggs. Many egg protein powders now contain avidin-neutralized egg-white powder — avidin is a glycoprotein in egg whites that depletes the body of biotin (an essential vitamin that performs critical roles in the metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, and is important for optimal health). When choosing egg-white protein powders, look for one or more of the following on the list of ingredients: egg protein, egg-white protein, egg-white solids and egg-white albumin.

Optimum also make an egg protein powder which is also said to be one of the best on the market in terms of quality, taste, dissolvability and versatility.

I personally will be using many different types of protein and protein powders, so i dont get sick of a particular one and can use different ones for different recipes.
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyTue 16 Mar 2010, 1:43 pm

Soy protein tastes hideous i have no idea how to disguise the taste so i just threw my tin out the first time I made that mistake even though it was an expensive one, it wasn't as bad as how it made me feel trying to drink the stuff.

Isowhey or any of the body building shops or even costco have the flavourless ones or flavoured ones that are pure (milk) protein or have calorie free flavours added to them. The plain flavourless stuff is $5 a kilo as a raw material - you can buy a 50kg barrel for $250 - that would last you the rest of your life. They decant it in fancy containers and charge about $50 a kilo, more if they process it with any flavours. There is a huge mark up in the fitness & food industry on protien powder it's kind of like the silver of the jewellery world... not really worth what people are prepared to pay for it because of some perceived higher value placed on it.

Have you tried using any calorie free flavourings to cover the soy protien? They don't work that well but they do do something... i bought all my calorie free flavourings at GNC when they had sales.
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 10:41 am

lol my experience with adding it before cooking the porridge is it denatures the protein mollecules and turns it into blobs of chewy chalk.

The whey protein isolate i get is from a bulk food store, scooped from a massive tub, paid by the kg, natural flavour, body building suppliers sell it in flavours such as chocolate, rocky road, bannana, for making into protein shakes.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 10:24 am

Thanks Jonathan,

I'll buy some whey tomorrow, but will still try to find something that works with the soy (it was a bit expensive to give up on too quickly). Not Porridge though, LOL, that's what I've experimented with to date, yesterday prior to cooking and today after... not so good.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 5:53 am

I think the soy protein isolate would be fine, any protein source is a good one really, some are just better than others, I recomend WPI because not only is it one of the best protein sources, but its easy to take, and versatile so it can be added to lots of things. You gotta be able to enjoy what your eating, if the SPI tastes horrible, you might not go through with it. Its a matter of personal choice, if you are happy to toss it, and go buy WPI, or you might just wanna get through what you got and get something different next time. you may find that the SPI is much easier to take added to something different, perhaps porridge or something.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySun 14 Mar 2010, 12:08 am

Protein vs. Fiber 749870 More great information thank you Jonathan,

After reading your post I went and read the label on the protein powder I bought yesterday. It is "soy protein isolate" do you think that's ok?
I only looked at the amount of protein and calories per serve when I bought it and (wrongly) just assumed that it was whey.
It tastes horrible but if that's the only problem with it I'll stick it out until I finish the jar.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySat 13 Mar 2010, 8:44 pm

I am already using protein powder which has added fibre plus I have been using Benefiber twice daily since I started pre-op and now I am adding Metamucil Capsules (psyllium husk powder). 3 months down the track and I still haven't sorted it out Boggled
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptySat 13 Mar 2010, 11:09 am

If your worried about not getting enough fibre, go buy some whey protein isolate. its a protein powder, I buy mine pure from a bulk health food store, costs about $45 per kg, and you get like 30 or more serves from a kg, its very good, you can buy body building brands, they are usually flavoured and meant to be drunk as a protein drink, i prefer the pure powder from the bulk food store, it has zero carbs, it is very fine, dissolves easily, and it basically is like skim milk powder, except there is something like 30g protein per serve, its something like 90% protein and has essential amino acids (protein building blocks). it can be added to many things, mix it in with your cereal, weetbix, porridge (do after cooking not before). i add a scoop to my optifast shakes to make them higher fibre without adding carbs. There is loads of recipes on the net using this stuff, its THE best protein source outside of natural foods and has the highest % of bio available protein(the % of protein your body can actually use)

Make sure you get whey protein isolate, not whey protein concentrate, they are differnt things, and stay away from the ion exchange whey protein, that has higher protein % but has much lower bio availabilty and lot of the beneficial molecules are destroyed in its manufacturing process.
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyFri 12 Mar 2010, 1:01 am

I am almost one year out. I cannot say enough great things about muscle milk. It comes in a four pack. You can get so much protein in a carton and then you will have room later for fiber. I am like the other girls, I would sprinkle fiber on everything. I still depend on the muscle milk. I am at goal. If I am a little (one or two pounds) up I drink the light. If I am one or two pounds below my goal I drink the regular. For now, I would drink the regular.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 10:47 am

I agree, and have been taking it since I starting Optifast when on the pre-op diet.

I just put it in my morning and evening cuppa tea, can't even taste.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

one word BENEFIBE. it takes no room is totally tasteless to the point you can put it in a glass of water and not know it is rhere. put in amything.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 10:39 am

Hi there
You could always put Benefiber in your fluids for your fiber - can't even taste it =)
Back to top Go down
Bibliophile
Bibliophile

Female

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 10:34 am

I am in my fifth week post surgery. With the capacity issue, I am struggling to get the protein and the fiber I need. I recently recovered from a severe case of constipation that I'd like to avoid in the future. All of the things that I need to eat and drink to avoid constipation takes up precious tummy space. I am concerned that I will not get sufficient protein. My dietician said I should be getting 60 grams of protein. I am not even close, consuming about half that. Is it wise to give up even more protein for fiber?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Protein vs. Fiber Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein vs. Fiber   Protein vs. Fiber Empty

Back to top Go down

Protein vs. Fiber
Page 1 of 1