Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!

Go down 
+9
aswan
CareBear
LittleMissCee
Jacko84
FNM
belladingo
Isis
Kate
crisalida
13 posters
AuthorMessage
alice.r
alice.r

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-08-28

Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyTue 29 Nov 2011, 3:49 am

lovely slim the ones i just purchased were about $5.10 each which does sounds expensive but i'm thinking opti is about $3.50 per serve isn't it? and you'd prob only need two of these gel things per day so i think it's worth it. i'm going to take the same frame of thought as you crisalida, take it as i take m supradyn - like a medicine, not because i like it, but bcos i need it.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

I got one of every flavour, and they are all equally as bad, but tolerable and thankfully not too much in way of liquid.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

It took 3 days for it to be delivered to North Queensland. Be warned though, it does taste like medicine lol
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

Just wondering how long did it take to get here and how much was it .. and what flavour did you get .......

Am really interested bcos i don't think i get enough protein in daily .....
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 6:38 am

thanks so much! have just ordered some from that site.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 5:15 am

Yeah it is good for the liquid phase and to be honest, I didn't like any of them lol.. but they are so small in size it is tolerable, I just tell myself it is medicine.

Best served icy cold!
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 4:33 am

also whats the best flavour?
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 4:28 am

do you think this would be able to be used in the liquid phase? it has to fit through a straw but someone mentioned these are very thick?
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyThu 17 Nov 2011, 12:16 pm

Hair loss can also be from the anaesthetic used during surgery. I have had quite a few operations in the past (unfortuantely) and at the moment I have found that my hair is not falling out anymore than at the same stage after all my other ops. This may change however so I'm keeping an eye on it. The anaesthetic stops hair growth and because of the way our hair grows it isn't noticeable for about 3-4 months after surgery. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that protein isn't important because it is, but unfortunately hair loss is a result of any surgery. All we can do is eat our protein and take our multi vitamins and keep our fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Vronnie
Part of the furniture
Vronnie

Female
Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyThu 17 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

Yep good article covers it nicely....point to note is that if hair loss continues beyond 6 months post op than nutritional deficiency may be indicated. Deficiency can be protein, zinc, iron......
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyTue 01 Nov 2011, 9:17 pm

OK. This article sets it out simply -

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/29031-interesting-article-on-hair-loss-from-bariatric-times/

If anyone wants some peer-reviewed papers, I can send them the DOIs.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyTue 01 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

My dietician and surgeon said that it is a lack of protein that causes the hair loss, so that is what I am going by. It was also recommended to me that I should cut my hair as it is quite long at the moment. She told me that you need protein for your skin, hair, and nails. I am sure other things like zinc contribute as well, but protein is very important. Apparently I am not getting any where near enough at the moment.

My package is supposed to arrive on Friday so I will let you guys know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
RozzieT
RozzieT

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyTue 01 Nov 2011, 9:04 am

So the hair loss is related to protein?
Now I'm really confused - the dietician said it was because I wasn't taking my multi-vitamin supplements, my GP told me it was because I need zinc ..... should I just "soup-up" on everything and hope for the best? I have a lot of hair, so I'm not too worried at the moment, but I am losing it at a great rate of knots!
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

It is important to get your protein each day, as the body cannot store it. Guidelines are half a gramme for each kilo of body weight. However, IF you are going to lose hair, then you will - no matter HOW MUCH protein you consume each day, or supplements you take. It is temporary (although worrying at the time) but it does grow back. My hair is currenty coming out in handfuls by the roots. Good job I've got plenty. If it is snapping off, then that is different and needs attention.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

These were pretty unpleasant on the taste buds straight BUT, not too bad if diluted with heaps of water and a shot of diet cordial.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptyMon 31 Oct 2011, 2:01 am

I might have to give them a go.. I struggle big time to get my protein in every day as I have a bad habit of forgetting to eat...
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

yes i had them after surgery sickly but its only 100ml so too mouthfuls and its gone, great way to get extra protein
Back to top Go down
FNM
FNM

Female
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 11:06 am

I bought a few of these after surgery. I had the grape and watermelon flavours. I found them deeply-deeply unpleasant! Thick and gelatinous with a strange metallic taste. However, you are quite right you can get through the small amount in two gulps and know you have most of your daily protein 'in the bag'. I had trouble getting enough protein so these did prove to be useful.
Back to top Go down
belladingo
belladingo

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 8:09 am

Hi Chrisalida that does sound really interesting. Can you pretty please post up here what they taste like when you have tried it. That woudl be most appreciated. I am exactly like you cant stomach the milky protein drinks either can't stomach it. would be great to have something non milky :)
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 6:00 am

Yeah I know what you mean! I love milky drinks (proper milk) and yoghurt, but any of those hideous protein shakes or whey protein isolate powders and I seriously want to barf. I have been eating protein bars as snacks, but I feel like they have too many calories.

Thanks for the link :)
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 3:25 am

I bought my supply from here, i cant wait until it is delivered lol!

http://www.aminoz.com.au/whey-liquid-protein-protein-100ml-food-13800.html

I would imagine they would ship to NZ, or there would be other stores that would. And yes, my issue with dairy I think is in my head. Every time I have it at the moment I feel like I am going to be sick, but it is only milky drinks. I can still tolerate cheese fine. I think it is just a matter of my body protesting against more shakes lol
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 3:18 am

Oh that sounds interesting! I wonder if I could get it over here in NZ. The only trouble you might have is that if you can't tolerate dairy (physically I mean, rather than mentally) then you might struggle cos whey protein is dairy based. If it's just that you don't like the milky ones then it'll be all good to go!

I'm gonna look into it too :) Thanks heaps!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 3:17 am

This sounds great Crisalida. Where do you buy them from??
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female

PostSubject: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! EmptySun 30 Oct 2011, 2:22 am

I have been having difficulty getting the amount of protein I need into me. I am struggling to finish protein drinks, am not tolerating dairy etc.. and I am sure I am not the only one in this position.

Anyhow, one of you lovely ladies suggested the Musashi P30 drinks which are water based. I had a look into them but whilst browsing the site, I also found this other product which is only 100mls to consume opposed to the 500mls.

Each shot contains 42grams of protein and only 2 grams of carbs.. so I am excited and hope it works out. I figured even if it tastes bad at least it is only 100 mls lol.. I thought I would share because I am sure there are others who feel the same way as I do who are struggling to get their protein in.

It is called IDS New Whey Liquid Protein 42g protein 100ml. It comes in a number of flavours, watermelon, green apple, blue raspberry, fruit punch, grape, acai berry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!   Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share! Empty

Back to top Go down

Protein and hair loss - 100ml protein shot!! had to share!
Page 1 of 1