9 posters
AuthorMessage
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

It's weird or am i just a sook ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptyMon 22 Feb 2010, 1:33 am

This may sound weird but i had a really sore lower back going into surgery,I told my anaethetist and asked if there was anything he could do to alieviate some of the pressure on my back during the op,and he said that the surgeon actually sits you up when performing surgery, and this is the weird part when i came out of surgery my back pain was gone?
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySun 21 Feb 2010, 12:14 am

The positioning is different, I do remember the anaesthetist making sure I was comfortable in the position he put me, before he knocked me out. He also spoke about it at the pre-op visit, about speaking up if not comfortable as it was really important.

Plus I was in theatre nearly 3 hours, had a large hernia repair also.

You might be onto something there Mark!
Back to top Go down
OLD Mark
Sponsor
OLD Mark

Male
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-01-16

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 11:24 pm

Thanks for your thoughts everyone...that is what makes this site soooo good/useful.

To Applesauce...you made me think about the time on the table, the position used for our op has little difference to most other abdo surgery except we have a protracted period filled with CO2....in all Gen Anaes op's they place an 18/18cm electronic thick rigid foam pad just under the base of your shoulder blades to monitor your heart. Your words "totally relaxed" triggered a thought for me.....if the tissues in both the back & abdo are tight with gas (and they are very tight) and your generously proportioned body is laying "totally relaxed" on a hard "lump/mat" ....maybe, just maybe that could be the reason ???

OLD Mark

Last edited by OLD Mark on Sun 21 Feb 2010, 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingwithgrief.info
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 8:10 pm

I suffer from lower back pain, have arthritis in L4, L5 and S1 of the spine.
BUT, I have also been getting back pain higher up when I sit at the computer too long!
Didn't think much of it, until Mark posted. It's weird or am i just a sook ? 697586
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 8:14 am

Hi Mark,
That is exactly what I have been having checked out.
Mine is still there 5 months out....Oh well.

Cheers Gail
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 6:35 am

A small number of people can end up with a sore back from the position and angle during surgery due to the fact all the muscles are totaly relaxed around the bones. But as others have said if you are concerned check it out with your surgeon :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Belle
Part of the furniture
Belle

Female
Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 6:26 am

Hi Mark,
I am 3 weeks out on Monday and experienced a similar thing. Aching cramp type pain in the centre of my back from between the shouldler blades down. Seemed to happen when I was sitting down. It has gone now... haven't had it for a few days. I also worried what it was and thought it was either the surgery after affects or from doing too much. I don't think we are meant to be lifing and overdoing things for 4-6 weeks. So if yours is the same, I imagine it will go in a week or so, Hope so. Phone your Dr if you are worried. Let us know how you get on.
Best wishes,
Belle :)
Back to top Go down
TGirl
TGirl

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 4:46 am

Hi Mark

Just be a bit wary of this pain. I experienced something similar. I "absorbed" an embolus (blood clot) after my last major surgery and it presented itself in much the same way. I tried peppermint tea, heat etc to no avail.

I din't know what all the fuss was about when they sent me for a CT scan but when the head radiography Dr came out and asked my husband to verrrrry quietly walk me to the E&A across the way, I began to take them seriously.

Call your Dr's just to make sure. If you're anything like me you will just shrug it off and not worry, I was just lucky I had a hubby that wouldn't take no for an answer!

Take care.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 4:28 am

Hi Mark
Firstly, congratulations - it sounds as though you're doing really well, and it only gets better from here.
I didn't have your specific problem, but I did find that after the op I needed to walk a lot - every now and then I'd just have to get up and walk - a couple of times around the house, to and from the letterbox, and then on to around the block, and further. I found that the aches and pains in general were helped by this, so perhaps it might help you too.
Even now I like to walk most days, and really miss it when I don't.
Best wishes, and let us know how you go.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 4:28 am

I have no idea, but I had a really sore back for a few weeks after surgery. I wondered if it was from all the extra sitting down I was doing during recovery and I also told myself that it might be my back muscles that had been used to compensating not knowing what to do with themswelves one I lost a bit of weight! :P
Back to top Go down
OLD Mark
Sponsor
OLD Mark

Male
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-01-16

PostSubject: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 2:51 am

I am Day 8 after the sleeve and at last I am feeling very good...I no loger have gas pain, my tummy is accepting almost anything without any discomfort, I am having ALL the Vit's, minerals, Iron's proteins (no analgesics) etc Bowels open fine, burping & farting lots lol I am able to walk, bend, stand, drive freely. I am sleeping quite well. I am still loosing half kilo/day BUT... ?

If I sit for longer than 15mins or have a hot, warm, warmish shower my mid back produces a profound persistent dull ache which can take an hour or 2 to settle ????

Using your experience, is it some left over CO2 "stored" in my back muscles ???

OLD Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingwithgrief.info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's weird or am i just a sook ?   It's weird or am i just a sook ? Empty

Back to top Go down

It's weird or am i just a sook ?
Page 1 of 1