FreedomBe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
FreedomBe

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Newbie from Adelaide Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 1:10 am

Hi New Improved Goddess,

Yes this is a wonderful spot, I commented yesterday that I've received more support and information here in a week, than I have in years elsewhere!

Just on posting, I think you've posted in the reply section of my exisiting thread, instead of startng your own new topic - so people won't find you and reply as easily. I'll ask Tempest to move your message perhaps - I don't know how all that side of things works.

Anyway all the best on your journey

Cheers
FreedomBe
Back to top Go down
The New Improved Me
Part of the furniture
The New Improved Me

Female
Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 10:23 am

Hi there,

This is my first comment and I wanna say a big thankyou to everyone. Without this site I may have changed my mind about the surgery. In saying that, my appointment with Dr France is not until May with a possible surgery date in July. It seems like such a long time to wait but I guess I have but up with this body for so many years - that 6 months isn't too long!! I have around 50kg to lose but am really looking forward to the journey. I'm so happy to read how much everyone supports each other and I know I'll have plenty of questions that will be answered as the time gets closer.

Thanks again
Newbie from Adelaide 217555
Back to top Go down
FreedomBe

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptySun 31 Jan 2010, 1:10 pm

Hi Helen,

Thank you, I'm hearing great stuff about Michael France - I'm definitely going to ask for a referral to him and at least one other. I did read the parts of your story I found in other posts - you've certainly been to hell and back with it all! I really feel for all you've been through and not getting the outcome you wanted from it in the first place. Its so good that you can come here and just be yourself whatever you're feeling, the tears, the down days and everything in between. Grieving for the loss of the dream/goal is such an important part of our wholistic healing. I don't want to sound all preachy here, but I do genuinely feel that even though this pathway to your dream has closed, other non-surgical paths will definitely open for you. Now is for healing, grieving, nurturing and being kind to yourself and allowing all your feelings without judging yourself.

I hope you're having a better day today. Thanks again x
Back to top Go down
FreedomBe

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptySun 31 Jan 2010, 9:26 am

Hi Libby,

Thanks for sharing, I'll check Dr Leong out too. Glad you've found what works for you! Yes this site is great, seems really friendly and supportive.

Newbie from Adelaide 618285
Back to top Go down
Helen64
Helen64

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptySat 30 Jan 2010, 6:24 am

Hi FreedomBe, personally you cant go past Michael France for the surgeon to look after your band removal he is an angel and I cannot fault him.
I have a complex story that if you are interested I am sure you can read all about it, all I can say that everytime now in the past 2 weeks I read such wonderful stories of weight loss I feel very envious and shed many a tear, cos I am not going to be one of the lucky ones.
Sorrry having a bit of a down day today.
Though looking forward to seeing everyone next Sat at BB's
Dont mind me just having an emotional day
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptySat 30 Jan 2010, 3:34 am

Hi Freedombe,

Wow, 23 years banded. You must of been one of the pioneers (or guinea pigs LOL). I was banded for 6 years and think myself very, very lucky that I never had any issues, medically, with my band. I didn't have any issues with my band removal but did have a lot of scaring internaly from the band.

Dr Leong banded, unbanded and sleeved me. He is very professional and great at what he does. He works out of several hospitals and clinics.

Ask as many questions as you like. There is always someone on here that has 'been there, done that'. Thats what is so great about this site.

Back to top Go down
FreedomBe

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 29 Jan 2010, 1:23 pm

Thanks Cheeky Bugger and Gail,

I'll also check out band buddies - LOL yep I'll still hang out here too because you are quite fantastic and very informative :)
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 29 Jan 2010, 1:03 pm

Hi Freedom,
Sorry can't be of any help in this instance I was a WLS virgin until the sleeve. Absolutely terrified of the band so didn't go there.
Paul Anderson is the most talked about band person that I have heard of but no idea what he is like. There may be others here (I know Libby was banded and removed by Leong) that have had band removals.
Might not be a bad idea to look at the band buddies site as well they may have some info for you.

That doesn't mean that you are not welcome to hang out here with us because we are fantastic and very very modest LOL
Cheers Gail
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 29 Jan 2010, 12:32 pm

Hi freedom,

I was sleeved by Michael France in october 2009, he is a GOD when it comes to sleevings. Welcome to the forum, let us know if you need anything.
Browse the site and get as much info as you can!
Back to top Go down
FreedomBe

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 29 Jan 2010, 12:21 pm

Hey DarkStar

Thank you! Yes I saw those 2 surgeons mentioned in the posts too, so looking forward to hearing about any removals they've done. Another Adelaide surgeon I haven't seen here but found through google is Dr Paul Anderson. I remember meeting him 10 years ago and he was very thorough and helpful, but don't know any of his patients.

Good luck with your wls research and thanks for saying hi :)
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Wow! Marathon bandit!   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 29 Jan 2010, 12:12 pm

Hi Freedombe,

Wow! 23 years! Wow!

I'm not a fount of knowledge, because I haven't had WLS myself yet (still investigating), but but I just wanted to welcome you to the community! Once Gail spots your post, all your questions will be answered (she's a gem, and hugely supportive).

This is not from first-hand knowledge, but just from reading around the site. Adelaide-based surgeons who've been mentioned in band-removal stories include Mr Michael France and Mr Paul Leong. I'm sure other posters will chime in with the names of other people they know. There are lots of band-to-sleeve and band-to-nothing stories on here. There are also a far few "survived by the skin of my teeth" stories, so you're in good company.

There's a face-to-face get together in Norwood on the 6th of February ( see http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/sleever-s-get-togethers-f10/adelaide-meetup-t101.htm).

Let Libby know if you want to come: she's handling the booking.

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
FreedomBe

Female

PostSubject: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide EmptyFri 29 Jan 2010, 10:37 am

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I've been banded for 23 years and am well over it!!! I've got one of the old silicone bands that isn't adjustable. Over the years I learned to live with the side effects, but my health is deteriorating and I need to have it out. Apparently I'm in for some lengthy and complex surgery because of the way the op was done and the scarring, adhesions etc. So I'm looking for an experienced "band removal/repair" surgeon who has tackled some of these old botchy jobs like mine. Preferrably in Adelaide - but I'm prepared to go where ever I need to in Oz. I'm not considering any further surgery after that - so I hope its ok to post here and ask for your help?

I know being banded, unbanded, sleeved etc is a very personal decision and journey for each of us and my intention is not to influence anyone one way or the other, I'm just seeking some support and suggestions for the next leg of my journey - and of course would love to support others here in any way I can. When I had my op there was no pre-op or post-op counselling or guidance other than a meeting with the surgeon and a couple of quick visits from a physio and dietician while in hospital, so its fantastic to see the medical and peer support networks available now!

Mine was one of the not so successful stories. I had complications in surgery and spent 12 days in hospital, 5 in intensive care. The long term health issues include an array of nutritional deficiencies, hormonal (not just the female ones) imbalances, hair loss, dental problems, adrenal insufficiency, duodenal ulcers, reflux, respiratory problems etc. Anyway enough of that - I'm ready and willing to restore my health and step into the next phase of life with renewed energy and passion!

I'd love to talk to some other long term 'bandits' and anyone else who has had a long or short term band removed or that knows of a good surgeon for this job?

Thank you so much

FreedomBe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Adelaide   Newbie from Adelaide Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Adelaide
Page 1 of 1