3 posters
AuthorMessage
Groovy
Groovy

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Newbie needing advice! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice!   Newbie needing advice! EmptySun 30 Apr 2017, 10:32 pm

It's appropriate that you worry about the risks of this operation - it is major surgery and all the complications that can happen during and after need to be considered. For me, I didn't have an "ah-ha" moment where I couldn't take it any more, it was more a process of trying and failing over two years that made me come to the realisation that I needed help. Like you, I was very concerned about the risks.

Obesity is NOT a benign condition and the longer you are fat, the more damage is done to your body. Your risks for stroke, heart attack, cancer, immobility because of joint degeneration, generalised pain and discomfort, GORD, fertility problems, depression, economic and social stigmatisation and diabetes is almost guaranteed to be greater than someone who is normal weight.

The gastric sleeve in Australia has a complication rate of 0.1-1% I think, from memory, which is comparable to say, a cholecystectomy. However, when things go wrong they can REALLY go wrong. Leaks are the most feared complication and can result in months of hospitalisation and even death.

What you need to weigh up is the small risk of serious complications with the sleeve versus the almost certain risk of complications from obesity. I chose the former and 16 months post op, have achieved my goal weight.

Oh, one last caveat which is probably the most important - it is not guaranteed to keep the weight off long term, or even to make you lose weight at all. You have to work EVERY DAY of the rest of your life post-operatively. At some point you have to put down the fork, and the operation will not make you do that. Your second year out is probably the most important but least talked about time - maintenance is hard and there is little reward for slogging away every day just to stay the same. Lots of things to consider, best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Gleni
Gleni

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice!   Newbie needing advice! EmptySun 30 Apr 2017, 3:26 am

Hi Isla,
Welcome to the site. I'm also a relative newbie and found the posts very informative. 
I had my Sleeve Op 12 days ago and feel fantastic and soooo excited about the formation of a 'new me'. Please read my recent posts which basically goes through my 'Op Report' and a recent update which I posted today.

I hardly had any pain after the Op, more soreness than anything. No painkillers after day one, no side effects from op and no complications. Being aware that you had a major op is still important but doing the correct post op instructions eg exercise, healthy planned ahead homemade soups, no heavy lifting etc etc is vital for a speedy recovery. 

I read some posts where people had complications too. A couple of days before my Op these few cases were very pronounced in my worry brain! However a lot of these people did have pre existing conditions which obviously enhance the risks. In most operations there are risks and all you can do with the help of your Surgeon and Dietician(who will be recommended by Surgeon) is to minimise the risks with pre surgery preparation eg Optifast diet.

I also googled my surgeon and he had 17 reviews which were overall excellent...a few didn't like his brusque manner (um, I don't think Surgeons are known for their warm personalities...ha!) which didn't worry me in the slightest as I wanted to ensure that I had a Dr who was highly skilled in his craft.  The biggest recommendation came from my GP who commented that she had heard excellent reports about him. So maybe asking your GP could be an idea?

Good luck Isla with your decision making which is probably the hardest part of a life changing journey !Newbie needing advice! 217555
Back to top Go down
Isla

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-04-27

PostSubject: Newbie needing advice!   Newbie needing advice! EmptyThu 27 Apr 2017, 1:21 pm

Hi everyone, 
I've just had my first consultation with my Dr today and come away feeling positive and ready to book in a date.

But now I have logged onto this site and have read some amazing stories and a few that have really scared me. :O

Can you please tell what helped you decided to do the surgery and how do you check out your Dr's  reputation...I have googled but haven't found anything bad.

I feel like I need to go ahead with this procedure but I'm worried I'll be that small percent that has the awful side effects, I know it won't be easy but I don't want to regret it either. 

If you have had the surgery would you guys do it over again and have you had any unexpected side effects.
Thanks in advance guys :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing advice!   Newbie needing advice! Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie needing advice!
Page 1 of 1