AuthorMessage
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture
QuirkyQuaintrelle

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

Newbie needing some help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. EmptyFri 09 Oct 2015, 12:10 am

Hi ya Purple! Just thought I'd add my two cents in... I was done 12 months ago self funded through my super without phi. Luckily for me I had a dream run and there were no additional expenses but I look back on this decision now and am pretty horrified by the gamble I took. I'm looking into reconstructive surgery now and have elected to get phi - it's just not worth the massive financial risk if something does go wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2015, 5:10 am

Hiya, thought I would comment as well. 

Remember its not just the surgeons fees you need to consider when self funding, but the hospital, pharmacy, imaging, theatre etc costs as well. I happened to see a copy of my hospital stay invoice from my PHI and it was over $18k (1 night in ICU and 5 nights on the ward) this is on top of my surgeon and anaesthetists fees. PHI may seem expensive and a long wait, but it can be the make or break on your finances if you need even 1 extra night in hospital for whatever reason. 

Good luck with whatever you decide on :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2015, 12:35 am

Thankyou everyone. I had a quick look around yesterday, but I will do more reading today. I have found a surgeon but the cost is estimated at like $15k or something massive like that. As much as I would love to just do it, you're right. I need to look at the PHI options. $15+ is just such a massive chunk of super & we have no available funds if anything goes wrong. We also have a very strong history of all the females in my family needing their gallbladder removed so I agree that I need to think more about possible complications.

1 step at a time I guess.

Thanks so much.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. EmptyMon 05 Oct 2015, 12:24 pm

I don't know of any surgeons in Melbourne that sleeve without PHI.  I remember looking for one about 3 years ago and none would do it then... but times change.

I actually wanted to second what the others have said, get the PHI and wait out the 12 months.  Will save you money in the long run and also more importantly, give you time to prepare mentally for sleeve surgery.  To me, thats an important part, being mentally ready for the changes.

I know when you decide this is what you want, you want to do it now.  I've been there and i'm sure others have too, but this is major surgery, with possibly major complications.  So personally I wouldn't do it without PHI.

Good luck on your journey, whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. EmptyMon 05 Oct 2015, 7:25 am

Even if you can find a surgeon that will accept you without PHI you might want to consider how you would fund the cost of any complications.

You might want to look at the section about complications, one member estimates her PHI has paid out a huge amount of money. While we all hope there are no complications from the surgery, they can happen and one to think about is gall bladder surgery.

It is not uncommon  for those of us who have had this surgery to end up having their gall bladder taken out sometimes in the often not too distant future so you should seriously consider the wait for PHI to kick in.

Just my 2c worth
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty
KatyOverWeighty

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2015-10-04

PostSubject: Self-funded surgery...   Newbie needing some help. EmptyMon 05 Oct 2015, 7:10 am

hi purple :)

It entirely depends on the hospital (and therefore the doctor) as to whether they will accept you without health insurance. 

You're right, you will have no problem accessing your super. I have health insurance and I accessed my super... one doesn't preclude the other. 

Paying for it and any possible complications without health insurance could cost you an absolute fortune.. For example, some hospitals charge up to 700 a night, with the number of nights not set in stone for the surgery, let alone any revisits or complications... 'most' surgeons won't take you without health insurance for this reason.. even self-funded patients will have a limit and the doc won't leave himself high and dry in the case further surgery is needed.

I am spending $130 a month on top hospital cover and my out of pocket will be around $4500, which is where my super comes in. Just have to wait the 12 months out (of which I have 6 left!) and I am getting there!

I've just spent months looking at this from every angle so if you have any questions feel free to ask :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. EmptyMon 05 Oct 2015, 4:08 am

Hi everyone! I have only just joined and am looking forward to properly looking around & finding all the information on VSG I can.

I am quite honesly a bit overwhelmed & often feel anxiety knowing what a long journey this may be. This is something I've wanted for a while but have had no idea how to put into action.

My main problem is that I currently do not have any kind of private health insurance. I am looking at accessing my super & was told today when I spoke with one of the doctors rooms that no one will touch me without insurance even if I access my super.

If anyone has any suggestions or can even just point me in the right direction, I would be really greatful. I was told that as my BMI is over 40 I should have no issue unlocking my super as I'm considered to have a life threatening illiness. I am based in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne.

Thankyou so much,

Regards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing some help.   Newbie needing some help. Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie needing some help.
Page 1 of 1