BigUnit
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BigUnit

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-05

Will a sleeve work for me ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies.
I have met Garrett before, so it is all good for either.
Now I just need to make time to plan this all out.
Have a great weekend all.
Mal
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 1:03 am

Hi Mal,

They wont do the two procedures at the same time, there is plenty of info throughout the forum as to why not, but basically so you dont end up with a lot of scar tissue and to let the tummy get better from banding to then sleeve.
Steve Liberman has a partner at his practice- Garrett Smith who did me, and Caz. I'm not sure if Steve does the sleeve, but he and Garrett both come to Tamworth (where I am) once a month, and although I have only dealt with Garrett, others who have a band and see Steve say he is lovely also! I had my sleeve done at North Shore Private also, as they don't do the sleeve in the bush, only the band. Have no regrets, great surgeon, great results, and I am 31kg down already (including preop). Hope everything works for you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyThu 06 Aug 2009, 3:21 pm

BigUnit wrote:

P.S does anyone know how to change the forum settigns so the origional post is the top post, not the last post ?
It is the opposite of every other forum I visit and it is driving me nuts.
Ta
Mal

not possible, i tried to do it when i joined and thats the way the forum is set. mosy unfortunately cause like you this is the only back to front forum i know of.
Back to top Go down
BigUnit

Male

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyThu 06 Aug 2009, 10:34 am

Thanks all for the advice and support.
My band has 7ml, but does not seem to be working the way it should. I had.5ml put in and got sever reflux, so 7ml is my maximum.

I did forget to tell you I am also a T2 diabetic who is on Diamicron and Diabex, but this condition is mostly under control. I have noticed the great results the Sleeve can bring with T2 diabetics.

I have spent many hours reading the results on this fine forum from other people who were facing the same position as me and have had great results.
I have discussed it with my wife and I will be speaking to my surgeon early next week to find out more.
I am hoping he will remove the band and do the sleeve all in one Op, as it will be annoying to have to do 2. Have many done both procedures in the one Op ?

I was at my Orthepedic surgeon today who was very supportive as he said I could be in a wheelchair in 5 years unless I can get 30kg off my back.

My Banding doctor was Steve Liberman and I had it done at Northshore Private. I would plan to use him again as I found he was experienced and nice to deal with.
I will keep you all up to date on how it goes.

P.S does anyone know how to change the forum settigns so the origional post is the top post, not the last post ?
It is the opposite of every other forum I visit and it is driving me nuts.
Ta
Mal
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyThu 06 Aug 2009, 2:19 am

Hi Mal and welcome to the forum.

I'm an ex bander too and the sleeve is sooo much easier to deal with. I'm over 2 months post op and have had a dream run so far. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Read as much as you can and ask questions. You are definitely in the right place to find out all you can before making a decision.

Best of luck to you.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
coconut
coconut

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2009, 11:13 pm

Hi BigUnit and welcome.

Unlike you, I never had a band, but I can relate to the never ending niggling injuries that prevent an exercise regime that you know would keep your weight under control.

As an ex-footy player, I was frustrated and depressed that every time I healed from an injury and prepared to commence my exercise regime once again, I was struck by something else - a knee, or an ankle or a shoulder - that would see me back sitting on the couch. My weight was out of control and I was unable to find a way to get it back the way I had always been able to.

I looked at the band after seeing the results that (the comedian) Mikey Robbins achieved. However, my surgeon convinced me that a sleeve was the way to go. I am from a family of big blokes, and wanted a permanent solution.

I was sleeved by Dr Loi at St George three weeks ago and can tell you that my outlook on life has turned on a sixpence. I have lost 17kg so far and am back walking each day. I have stopped all of my medications and my bp is back to normal. I sleep like a top and bounce out of bed in the morning. My libido is BACK!

The sleeve is not a miracle cure. You could cheat if you wanted. However, as you see by the comments on this excellent forum, you would have to be pretty damned determined to fit gobfuls of chips/beer into your new 250ml tummy. In reality, your tummy will let you know what your limit is, and you will also find that your tastes will change. I have not craved any of the snacks I used to and can just enjoy a small glass of wine each night. Beer is out of the question.

A good move? The best I've made.

Cheers,

Coconut

Highest weight:140 kg 02/07/2009
Pre op weight: 131.6kg 16/07/2009
Sleeved: 17/07/2009 Dr Ken Loi - St George Private Hospital
Current weight: 123.4kg
Goal Weight: 100 kg in 12 months.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2009, 4:17 pm

IF you do not have the correct restriction then yes a sleeve will work. Now how well it will work depends on just how bad you want to fight against it. While you are healing and in the first 4-6 months it is close to impossible to work around the sleeve no matter what you do even sucking down cream 24/7 BUT after that you are able to graze and IF you pick your food very carefully you can get calories in. As in things that digest really easily and mush down to nothing ie potato chips etc.

the reality tho is for the majority of men their problem is more size of meals so they get the most amazing results with the sleeve. Take a look at the before and after photos of old fart and my other half bad apple. My other half did a lot of recumbent bike work before surgery to get fit for the surgery but besides walking a bit with me did no real exercise to lose the weight. He has no 20 months out just started the gym to build some muscle. But the personal trainer worked him out a perfect program to allow for his shocking back and to be honest it has not given him any problems. See he took the weight off first before putting any strain on his body with exercise. So really the exercise thing is not really needed unless you want to tone and or that last 10-15kg for most people. That just doesnt move without serious work for most people. tho a few are lucky.

Pick your surgeon with care, like all things your success will ONLY be as good as the surgery done to you. A sleeve to lose or done by somebody not that good at them may lead to stretching later on.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:36 pm

Hi Mal, welcome to the forum. Jilly's answer to you was spot on. Nobody can predict what your level of success with the sleeve will be but we can assure you that it is a wonderful tool for weight loss.
Her suggestion of checking out other male forum members' diary entries is great too.
Re the exercise- is walking in water an option, swimming or riding a stationery bike. A male colleage of mine also does pilates to help with his back problems. I am sure an exercise physiologist would be able to help you design a program that would work within your limitations.
Good luck in your decision making re the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:16 pm

Hi Mal,
Welcome to this site.
Read through the threads and they will help you ...
I ve had two bands (first one slipped) but have had constant problems with blockages and have struggled to eat solid food and now weigh more than I did when I had the band first put in 6yrs ago. I am getting the band removed in 12 days (YAHOO!!!!) and I will be sleeved in November. My reason for choosing to be sleeved is that I want amount restriction not food type restriction , with the sleeve you cannot eat more than about 250mls of food and once healed you should be able to eat anything, so my health will improve as I will be able to make healthy food choices ie; meat, salad, fruit etc (I couldnt eat any of these with the band). I also found it too easy to cheat with the band as things like chocolate, potato chips, biscuits, milkshakes etc went down fine, in fact I practically lived on these things as they didnt get stuck.
I dont think of the sleeve as a "miracle cure" been there and done that with the band, now I just need help and something that will limit the amount I consume forever so that even if I am " bad" and eat chocolate it will only be a tiny bit not a whole family block!!!
Good luck with whatever you choose to do,

Lisab
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2009, 12:22 pm

Hi Mal and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information on this site and lots of lovely sleevers who will help you with any questions you have.

I had a band and lost about 10kgs, had to have it taken out because of it slipping and now I am sleeved and have lost 30kgs. The Moth(man of the house) hasn't had a band, but was sleeved on the 20th July and has dropped 10kgs since the op. Men seem to lose the weight a lot faster than women when sleeved. He also has a lot of old football injuries and hasn't been able to exercise pre sleeve which was the reason he wanted to have the op so he can hopefully move better.
The sleeve isn't a miracle cure but it is a good tool to lose weight. The advantage is that you can virtually eat what you want but in smaller portions. If you sat on the couch and ate potato chips or chocolate and drank coke or beer all day you wouldn't lose weight with the sleeve that's why we say the op is a tool to lose the weight.
If you read Sunlands, Couchsurfers, Peter1969, Mattrus's diaries (to name a few) - these are all men who have had good weight losses with the sleeve and have kept a diary of their journey.
I personally think the sleeve op is better than the lap band but I maybe biased and its really up to you if you feel comfortable with having the sleeve.
Good luck with your decision making and happy reading.
Cheers
Jilly
Back to top Go down
BigUnit

Male

PostSubject: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? EmptyWed 05 Aug 2009, 11:51 am

Hello All,
I went for my 2 year checkup with my lap band doctor.
I have only lost 4kg in 24 months, so I was told about sleeving as a possible option.

Having never heard of this surgery, I was pointed to this site, so I thought I would ask the lap banders that have reversed this and gone with a sleeve.

I am a 38yo male who is 6'5" and 140kg have 2 kids (2&4) and a very busy life.

I am carrying a lot of old football injuries and find excercising dangerous as I seem to go from one injury to another. This has brought on slight depression from not being able to lose the weight.
I also had my 68yo father drop dead last year from heart failure, so this is the direction I feel i am heading in the next 10 years.
I do not know if I am expecting a "miracle cure" with the sleeving, as I thought the band would be.

I am not afraid of the surgery as I got lap banded twice as the first was faulty on the first fill.

Please tell me this is a good move for someone in my position ?

Thanks
Mal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will a sleeve work for me ?   Will a sleeve work for me ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will a sleeve work for me ?
Page 1 of 1