Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?

Go down 
+2
bluebags
Pendle79
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sidcharli

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2014-04-12

What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014, 2:36 pm

Lexipro and Escitalopram are the same thing I have been on it for 15 years I took it the morning of my op and then second day after op, after all the doctors put there heads together and decided it would be ok I cut them in half

I hope this helps
Helen
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm

I don't know if this helps, but I very recently started a low dose of Escitalopram.
I take it in the morning because it helps wake you up. Seems pretty good so far, I haven't had any side effects. I know it sounds funny, but it feels like a shield. I'm not numb. Still have peaks and valleys, its just that the valleys aren't so dark.
I find it hard to maintain a regular sleeping pattern. So I use melatonin at night, with Valerian which you can get from the chemist. I also wear sunglasses from a certain point at night to help make me sleepy. Trying to trick my body clock.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptyThu 28 Aug 2014, 11:23 am

I thought I would add that yes I would be able to get up if necessary on the Avanza what i have found is that it doesn't knock me out completely but it relaxes me enough to go to sleep and if I wake and I do regularly from menopause I can get back fine.  For me this is a first I have had menopause for 13yrs and have lost endless hours of sleep and that is probably the biggest reason for my depression no-one can go on with only a couple of hours sleep a day.  I am just hoping when the depression effects finally hit in it will be as good as the sleep effects.  Good luck I think any kind of tablet will be better then a capsule I still have trouble swallowing them and giant vitamins 15mths post tablets can be cut in two.
Back to top Go down
Pendle79
Pendle79

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 2:05 pm

Thank you everyone. My new go doesn't know much about the sleeve and all of the changes that go with it but she thinks that if I change to lexipro because it's a tablet it might dissolve faster so I'll get the whole dose. She thinks that maybe the cymbalta is not dissolving properly or fast enough because it's a  capsule :/
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 1:41 pm

This is a good question Pendle, I have been on what are now called Dothep for over 20 years to help with chronic pain as well as depression.

They have a coating on them so I have been weaning myself off them prior to surgery down from 3 to 1 as I think dissolving them in water will be horrible.

I 'hope' I will be able to recommence them after the surgery, when I can eat food again, as I have tried quite a few others that haven't worked for me.

Haven't tried Lexipro though so will talk to my GP about that just in case.

Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

After trying quite a few (with bad side effects) I've ended up on Lexipro.  I was on them before surgery, and still on then now (5 weeks post op).  I haven't noticed any difference before and after, and have no problem having them post-op.  Personally these have been one of the best ones I've been on over the past 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Pendle79
Pendle79

Female

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm

Are you still able to wake up if u need to? I don't want to be knocked out so much that I can't get up to my daughter :/
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm

I have just gone on Avanza but it has a sleeping pill effect as well the ones I have been given are low dose but it is dissoluble on the tongue don't know if the other dosages are like that.  I take it a couple of hours before sleep.
Back to top Go down
Pendle79
Pendle79

Female

PostSubject: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? EmptyMon 18 Aug 2014, 1:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been taking cymbalta for several years now and neve had a problem with it, but two years ago I had a gastric sleeve done and I have found taking the capsules uncomfortable and my moods seemed to get worse again after a while...my doctor has suggested that maybe I should try a tablet form of antidepressant like lexipro but I know nothing about it and how it is with people that have had sleeves done. What antidepressants have worked for you all since your sleeves?

Thanks
Pendle79
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?   What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery? Empty

Back to top Go down

What antidepressants work for you all since your sleeve surgery?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Other Health Issues-
Jump to: