Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mariat
mariat

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-06-30

Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Jun 2009, 12:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

HI
Please someone help and advise me.

I have been accepted for obesity surgery - band or sleeve yet to be decided.

However this surgery is in Brno via a UK company and as much as I am reassured by them that this will be fine, Im a little worried about the financial side of it.
I need to pay in full a month before travel -what if I do this and get to the airport and no one is there - what if its a scam ?

I would have it in the UK but personally the aftercare isnt great, and its very expensive.

Has anyone else done this or had the same doubts ?

Please let me know your honest comments.
Thank you
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
bushgirl
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 8:56 am

football=religion... you are right tracey, I am going to Sydney Bledisloe as well...just wasn't thinking about it when i wrote that, but I know welfare and whatnot has benefits for our friends and vice cersa, and now they are allowing superannuation as well... not sure of specifics though.
Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 7:21 am

lol. except when its comes to football!
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptySat 25 Jul 2009, 1:29 am

Moolie thanks for the clarification, sorry if I sounded a bit dumb, I have been to the UK and I know you guys are an island, but your a lot closer to many countries as well... (wishing i was there now... or anywhere warmer than here) But that is an awesome deal for yearly travel insurance. Ours would be around $300-$400 for 2 weeks away in europe... I remember in 2005 i paid $500 for about 5 weeks away in europe. ridiculous! Hope you have an awesome time in florida next July, Im sure you will have a ball with the new you! I rekon it might be worth checking into the other insurance, as a just in case, because you don't want to end up with massive hospital bills if anything happened. Im not sure if EU countries have agreements with healthcare or anything. I think NZ and Aus do for citizens living in the other country... we have a fair bit of friendlyness with our friends across the pond...
Back to top Go down
hayley189
hayley189

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyFri 24 Jul 2009, 8:16 pm

Good luck with your op Moolie Im sure all will be fine, it turns out my C-RP levels are high wich indicates an infection, if they dont come down my op will be pushed back arghhhhh.
If it doesnt mention gastric sleeve i would tend to ignore it you have answered correctly you havnt had a band or a by pass, though if in doubt phone them up there is no point paying insurance if they refuse you on a technicality it may be a few extra few quid to make sure you are covered properly.
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyFri 24 Jul 2009, 5:57 pm

Cheers Bushgirl but I wondered if anyone declared in on any travel insurance (single trip or multi trip). I only gook the annual insurance cos I managed to get the family covered for a year for worldwide cover £63 (approx $126) and it covers any weekends away, etc. In GB we are too an island and me being Scottish found it cheaper to take this kind of insurance than the single trip kind. The suppliments they charge us to travel from Scotland are ridiculous so can sympathise there but we are having a big holiday to Florida in October so the insurance will still cover me for our summer holidays next year which are in July (very canny most of us Scots).

My op is on Thursday and I must admit to feeling a bit apprehensive to say the least!

Moolie
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyFri 24 Jul 2009, 12:56 am

Moolie, a lot of Aussies don't do yearly travel insurance because we are an island nation, most people just buy when they need to go overseas. (unless they are loaded) so I'm not sure any of us (Aussies that is) can help with that question. Even though someone in my family goes every year or so, we just get it for each trip, rather than yearly. also they charge us astronomical rates for anywhere beyond asia, so its mostly done trip specifically. sorry
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyThu 23 Jul 2009, 2:52 pm

Hi everyone

Can any of the sleevers tell me what they do about travel insurance. Do you declaire that you have been sleeved or not. I just applied for my annual travel insurance and when I got to the medical conditions bit there was a section for gastric band or bypass and when I put one in (just out of interest) it came back that they could not offer me insurance. Needless to say I removed it and got my annual family travel insurance as usual.

Moolie
xx
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 5:12 pm

Well Janey - I saw that episode too and afraid to say it was our idea first. Not sure where the idea for deep fried pizza came from but we do them too!! Just watched the final of Biggest Looser Australia - didn't they do well. Now I think they are really brave.

Car wont cost too much Deb but I have only had it 3 weeks and can't get it fixed until 7th September so you can imagine the amount of teasing I will have between now and then - it has started already!!

Take care
xx
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:09 pm

Hope the car won't cost you too much Moolie
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 1:13 pm

So is that where Nigella Lawson stole the idea? I never knew it was a Scottish tradition.

I love Mars Bars but thankfully couldn't stomach the idea of a deep fried one. So that's good for the diet. At least when Nigella dunks hers in hot oil it's only a mini one....... as if that makes it any less disgusting. LOL.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 12:28 pm

LOL Hayley

Believe it or not I don't like Mars Bars so have never tried one either!! Mind you, that hasn't stopped me eating all things deep fried and the older I get the more bread I want. My folks have both deceased (mum had breast cancer, double heart bypass, then liver cancer and dad had 2 heart attacks, 1 mini stroke and COPD). My brother died last year aged 44 with stomach cancer so my family genetics are crap!!! These are the main reasons for doing something drastic to ensure a healthier and longer life (hopefully). Well thats enough of the sad stuff - I am getting nervous and on the count down. I scratched my car today (really not consentrating well) so off to the garage to see how much that mistake has cost me!!! Could eat a Subway sandwich no probs just now.

Moolie
xx
Back to top Go down
hayley189
hayley189

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:08 am

Bloodyhell Moolie I didnt realise good luck you will have to let me know how it is.
It seems people have different rules for the pre op diet depending where they are having the op. I have been told to start a low fat diet as soon as I can and like you told to avoid carbs argh so hard I love bread.
I have no idea what my health is really like as far as liver etc, but I know what I have in store for me if i do nothing about it. I am a carban copy of my mum and she is practically house bound at the moment she is riddled with aurthritous (im crap at spelling), breathing problems, she's had mild heart attacks, depression, she's had a knee replacment and she takes so many tablets she rattles. And I know she would tell any one she could to do what ever it takes to loose weight :) She would love WLS but feels she it too ill now to have it.
Ps glad I can say I have never had a deep fried mars bar:)
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyMon 20 Jul 2009, 5:15 pm

No Hayley my op is the 30th of this month!! 10 days away!!! In Aberdeen you only have to go on a high protein low carb diet 10 days before your op to make your liver floppy. Believe it or not although my liver function tests showed abnormal, my liver scan (which I just happened to have last year long before my decision to have WLS) showed that my liver was not very fatty. My sugar levels are good and my cholesterol is low but my BMI is off the scale!!

Have faith Hayley but I can see where you are coming from as the more people that tell me how brave I am make me nervous. And Janey there are lots of people who will carry the eating for Scotland for me. Don't you know this is where they invented deep fried mars bars - lol.

Be strong
xx
Back to top Go down
hayley189
hayley189

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyMon 20 Jul 2009, 12:12 pm

well their is a few of us here then in the same boat Allieswans ur surgury is 5 days before mine and Moolie urs is a few weeks later. Its so exciting I am loosing a little of this motivation a little but hay if I was good at diets I wouldnt be in this situation woukld I ? I have just had all my blood tests done today fingers crossed all will be ok. While I was there my nurse kept saying how brave I was to go through with this but I dont see it as brave I see this as my only option.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyMon 20 Jul 2009, 12:00 pm

Best of luck with it all Moolie. Who will replace you in eating for Scotland??? LOL.

It will all be worth the sacrifice.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyMon 20 Jul 2009, 11:38 am

Well I have finally stopped eating for Scotland and have started my pre op diet. My op is booked for the the 30th so to say I am nervous is a bit of an understatement!!! I know I am doing the right thing. Good luck everyone.

Moolie
xx
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Jul 2009, 12:08 am

Hayley - I cam so relate to the optimistic feeling. Once I got over the "can i survive the pro op" and now 1.5 weeks in to pre op and down 9.3kgs I think "what was I carrying on about"

Only 2.5 weeks to go until my surgery - so excited but nervous at the same time.

Funny part is, as an adult I have never been at normal weight range. Can't wait to find out.
Back to top Go down
hayley189
hayley189

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2009, 2:38 pm

I will keep every one posted its so great to have this extra support net work. im planning to record my weight on here every month to give me a little extra kick up the bum.
I feel like i have been on a diet of some description the whole of my life and I have just started the pre-op diet and I have never felt so optomistic. Am I actually going to be a normal weight one day?
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2009, 7:03 am

Good luck Hayley. It is wonderful that you have made it a reality now.

Do let us know how you get on.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2009, 12:36 am

It must feel good to have made your decision Hayley. I wish you every success with your surgery and your new life!
Back to top Go down
hayley189
hayley189

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Jul 2009, 10:29 pm

I have just booked my op with cosmetic bliss so I hope its not a scam im booked in for Augaust 9th. I have heard lots of great things about cosmetic bliss on other forums so finger crossed
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Jul 2009, 5:55 pm

Well ladies this is so true.

Anyone who has been able to have this done through their private medical insurance should count their lucky stars. My medical insurance said NO WAY!!! This procedure is not seen as a necessity!

29 days to go!

Moolie
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Jul 2009, 9:15 am

Thats exactly what I was thinking Geekie. If your going to combine it with a holiday why not Aust or NZ
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Jul 2009, 8:51 am

Lets face it, it would be cheaper to fly all the way to New Zealand and spend a week in a hotel then it would be to have it in Scotland. At current exchange rates it would still only be £8400.

(allowing $16,000 for the surgery, $3300 for the flight and a generous $2000 hotel and expenses)
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Jul 2009, 8:07 am

In Scotland the sleeve is almost £11,000 the band is £8,000 and the bypass is £12,000. Belguim is approx £9,000 for the sleeve and the cheapest I could find is India at £5,000. The Cheq republic came a close second but as I said I got scared and decided I needed to be able to pick up the phone for help if necessary as the NHS here would only cover any emergencies but not the follow-ups.

Moolie
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Jul 2009, 1:10 am

Im curious whats the difference in costs from teh UK to Cosmetic Bliss
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP   Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help me - preop decision to make ASAP
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next