applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Pre-op diet and hunger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 1:18 pm

i dont look for c d ettc cup i need the roll them up and tuck them in size cup ;)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 1:10 pm

Ah yes shopping.

I never got the hang of it until I went out with Lisa (lmboyd) what a wonderful thing.

Yes I had to give in and buy a new bra, the old one had empty next syndrome ROFL
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 12:31 pm

I'm hearing you about the knickers. Ditto bras. I kept wearing the same bras till it became obvious the girls had shrunk so much that they weren't keeping them up at all. I had people ask me was I wearing a bra in a photo!!! Well yes I was!!

Shopping for new clothes is SOOOO much fun, I love it.

Oh yeah and the benefits to your health etc etc DID I MENTION THE SHOPPING!!!!

My husband only though this surgery was going to cost him 4 grand, and the clothes bill, ha ha
Pre-op diet and hunger 314562
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 10:46 am

the last thing you seem to throw out is your nighties and knickers *LOL* I still own baggy britches and have nighties from before surgery more than 2 years old. But then those tshirt nighties i wore as tshirts over bike shorts now they are granny nighties on me ;)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyTue 27 Apr 2010, 10:34 am

Hi Kari,

Wait until you get to the stage that even your underwear does not fit, that is when you know you have lost a lot of weight !!

Pre-op diet and hunger 217555

Gail
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Thank you all :-)   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 4:42 pm

Thank you all for the kind and helpful replies.

Something magic has happened over night as I am no longer hungry. I tested with my sisters ketostix and I am now in Ketosis. I also did some heavy exercise yesterday, and that seemed to stall the hunger.

I am very glad to hear that the hunger changes after surgery. Feeling positive now :-) Have been planning my first shopping spree when my old clothes are no good anymore. Very amusing.

(soon to be slim) Kari
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 12:34 pm

Hi Jen

Thank you so much for your post. I was put on a opti product plus lean protein, veges, no carb plan and I was of the understanding that ketosis could be achieved through this but had no proof.

This is SUCH a challenging stage though so for all the members doing pre-op preparation, hang in there!! It's only for 2-3 weeks (or however many your Dr has told you to do! you must follow the Drs program to a T with meals etc!!) then your life changes for the better.

Best wishes everybody, cheers, Kat
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 11:54 am

Im at the end of day 15 on opti and not really hungry. I do feel naseous if I dont drink enough water though so maybe measure out your water for the day. Im on 2 shakes,1 bar,1 fruit and 2 cups cooked veg a day.. will be glad NOT to eat veg for a while though...
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 8:40 am

Hi Kari,

This phase is a hard time, especially smelling and seeing what others are eating.Cooking for family can be the pits!

The Dr I had for my gastric band op had me on 2 very low carb diet shakes/soup per day plus a small amount of protein at night plus no carb vegies any time of the day. I could have 1 or 2 cups of coffee or tea a day with a dash of milk, diet soft drink and diet cordial.
This did put my body into ketosis, as I (being a nurse with access to test strips) tested my urine every now & then. This ketosis is what helps takes the hunger away and makes the body use up some of its fat stores (somedays the hunger is gone- some days its not but is not the raging beast it was) and this usually happens around day 4 of the diet. You can feel like absolute crap until then. Too much caffiene can affect insulin production..I haven't got my book in front of my so cant explain in detail...and this can make you feel hungry, plus it tends to have a bit of a diuretic effect.

I"ll be on the same diet in 2 weeks before my sleeve op. This Dr said he doesn't mind if it's Optislim, Optifast, Dr McLeods or even Tony Ferguson. So it's not unusual here in Australia to be able to have your carb free vegies & protein every day. Your liver still shrinks as long as you dont eat what you're not sposed to.

But every Dr has their own preference for this phase. Good luck with the rest of your diet and your op. Drink lots of water.

Cheers Jen
Back to top Go down
tryinhard
tryinhard

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 7:37 am

Hi Kari,
I understand what your saying about being hungry on just the shakes. I share the same surgeon as Andrew and yes it was shakes for breaky and lunch and a small no carb, high protein steamed veg meal for dinner. I could not have survived on the shakes alone because I was starving until tea time, thats all I thought about all day. We are all different and what suits some just dosent work for others. I was one of the minority that was hungry after the surgery (not imediately but a week later) it wasnt until I could start eating mushy solids that I felt satisfied, maybe it was just in my head but I needed to feel that weight of food in my tummy.
I would definately call your surgeon and explain the nausea, I mean if you have to work and carry on in life you need to feel well. Pre-op diet and hunger 135961
Anita
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 5:21 am

Andrew,

Apple did clarify and say that she meant to say "most" which, from my reading since I've been on this site, is correct. As she only said it as an explaination of why she was hestiant to comment on the situation in Norway I don't think it is worth getting too het up about.

The main thing is:
applesauce wrote:
It is important to do what your own surgeon or team has told you to do and stick to it. If you feel you can not then talk to them FIRST before changing the plan you have been given.

Feel the love - Carrie Pre-op diet and hunger 120705
Back to top Go down
D

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 5:13 am

I dont think my Sugeon is unusual as he is the very well respected Mr Michael France in Adelaide

regards andrew
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 5:00 am

Andrew the preop diet for the vast majority of those having weight loss surgery in Australia is 2 weeks of optifast intensive. Yes a few surgeons do a variation of a pre op diet. I was in a hurry off to bed and did not think anybody would take offence when I left out the word "most" and not mention the unusal doctors who used another method. I do think I have fully covered that in my second post on the matter.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
D

Male

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 4:44 am

applesauce regardless of your last post your statement was

(i do not know what the preop is over there so it is hard to comment. here in australia it is 3 vlc drinks only a day plus a few low carb veg. if you do not cheat on it the physical hunger goes away or is greatly reduced for just abiut everybody as they go into ketois)

that statement is not correct as Surgeons have different Preop requests on the Diet or are you saying my Surgeon is wrong.
no-one was talking about Optifast intensive it was to do with a Preop diet and you generalised everyone into the same catergory.
andrew
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 4:10 am

Andrew the vast majority of people in australia are given 2 weeks of intensive optifast to do. Yes I know some surgeons do modified versions but that is usally over extended periods of time. Most surgeons will not do this because people (not all granted) find it hard to stick to because they get hungry. The optifast intensive puts you into ketosis if done correctly and thus takes away the physical hunger for the majority of those using it. It gives you this false sense of wellbeing energy and lack of hunger making it easier to cope with for a short 2 weeks. But you MUST stick to it without cheating at all or ketosis vanishes and you go back to suffering. With all things some people will say they do still get hungry, it is not 100% guarantee but pretty damn good.
I tend to talk about optifast intensive so as not to confuse the majority who are doing that into thinking eating fruit or protien is acceptable, because on optifast intensive it is not.
It is important to do what your own surgeon or team has told you to do and stick to it. If you feel you can not then talk to them FIRST before changing the plan you have been given.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 12:41 am

Hi Kari

I think being on the restricted diet is the most difficult part of this whole process.

After the op when you're on liquids, you're not hungry at all which makes it heaps easier.

Check with your Dr about possible options. I was put on 4 x meals a day which could be optifast bars or shakes and for dinner - low fat protein and salad. There seems to be a bit of difference between Drs but it is very challenging (end of the day you are shrinking your liver to prepare for surgery so there will be reduced calories involved). I wasn't hungry the whole 3 weeks pre-op but it was difficult at times, but fortunately this pre op stage is only for a short time then after your op you don't experience hunger like that ever again. And when I get hungry now it doesn't take much food to make me not hungry hooray!!

Hang in there!! cheers, Kat
Pre-op diet and hunger 217555
Back to top Go down
D

Male

PostSubject: Preop   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptyMon 26 Apr 2010, 12:00 am

Hi Janette fully agree with your comment (Surgeons have different pre-op diets.)

This is from my Surgeons handout that i got.. Our experience with doing shakes 3 times a day is that most people find this too difficult, don't comply with the diet and hence don't always lose the weight they should. We have modified the diet to give patients at least one relatively normal meal per a day.
Then it gives a list either Opti/Musashi/Sustagen/Tony Ferg and all the allowed vegies and Meats

regards andrew
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 11:37 pm

Surgeons have different pre-op diets.

I wasn't hungry on my diet at all and was allowed plenty to eat, including one piece of fruit per days and heaps of vegies along with shakes/bars etc.

Keep up the fluids, I think I was drinking nearly 5 litres per day of water, tea, diet soft drinks, etc

Good luck with your surgery.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 10:50 pm

Thanks for that information Andrew.

I guess that maybe it is different for each person?

Im thinking I would need to be on it for a while too (im 154 kilos). So Im hoping that I can find a way to make it work before I have the surgery!

Nat

xoxoxo
Back to top Go down
D

Male

PostSubject: Preop   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 10:44 pm

i do not know what the preop is over there so it is hard to comment. here in australia it is 3 vlc drinks only a day plus a few low carb veg. if you do not cheat on it the physical hunger goes away or is greatly reduced for just abiut everybody as they go into ketois.

applesauce

Actually i disagree with that comment it is the DOCTORS discretion on what you have as mine has me on the Bars or Shakes either 1 for breakfast and lunch then a meal of Skinless Chicken or Fish with the allowed Vegies for Tea this is also on his handout that he gives to his patients at the Appointment when he informs everyone on when to start the Preop diet. And i CANNOT not speak for anyone else but i am sure there would be other Doctors out there that would be doing the same thing so i feel that the wrong infomation may have been given to Kari. I have been on my Preop since the 15th March and had an appointment with my Surgeon on Friday the 23 April and had lost 23Kg, and operation date is the 17 May I am one of the ones that have to start earlier as my initial weigh in at the Surgeon was 201.5 Kg.

Regards andrew
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 4:38 pm

Thank you for your replies :-)

I look forward for the severe hunger to be gone. Hope it is not going to be like this for a year..

I will drink more and get to bed very early, and be patient.

Greetings from the other side of the world :-)

Kari
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 4:22 pm

Hi Kaysa...

everyone's experience is different. I stopped being hungry in the first week on optifast....and actually stopped eating anything BUT the three opti replacement means for the last three days before op...(200 calories per meal and I only ate the bars...no shakes or soup as they were HORRIBLE_

I did drink lots more water than usual and I think that took my mind off it...and I also went to bed earlier each night... Also took a very good multivitamin from the time of starting the diet. I think I actually felt even better on the pre-op diet than on my normal one...

I guess part of the answer, as applesauce said, may be in exactly what you are eating...
Just think, every pre-op meal is one count closer to your surgery...hopwfully you'll start to pick up soon

S
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 4:17 pm

i do not know what the preop is over there so it is hard to comment. here in australia it is 3 vlc drinks only a day plus a few low carb veg. if you do not cheat on it the physical hunger goes away or is greatly reduced for just abiut everybody as they go into ketois.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female

PostSubject: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger EmptySun 25 Apr 2010, 4:00 pm

I have been 7 days on pre-op diet an I am so hungry to the point that I am nauseous and feeling very weak. Surgery in 1 week. Will this hunger go away or is it here to stay. Feeling a bit worried! Pre-op diet and hunger 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-op diet and hunger   Pre-op diet and hunger Empty

Back to top Go down

Pre-op diet and hunger
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: