Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Synna
Part of the furniture
Synna

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyThu 21 Apr 2016, 10:18 pm

I'm coming up to 5 years this year. Gosh how time flies. I've also reacquainted myself with 20 something kgs that I lost. Have been doing straight up Optifast for almost two weeks and am down 3.8kg now. I can't believe things got out of hand again - stressful work environment, new relationship, too much alcohol. It all adds up and slowly puts the weight back on.

Good luck with your continued journey.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyThu 21 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

Great idea to re-assess the antidepressants.

I have been on some, over the years, and some really add to the weight gain, as they can slow the metabolism and increase appetite.

When I started my big weight gain, I was taken off the SSRI type, and was put on Effexor (SNRI). This helped me to lose the big appetite,  a bit.

I am no longer on any anti-depressants, however for me the Effexor would be the choice to go back to, if ever necessary.

Good luck with the meds revision.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyThu 21 Apr 2016, 10:56 am

Hi Cherub

As I said I assumed you had done the things the things I had talked about but just thought I would mention them

Yes the antidepressants can cause you to gain weight, not sure why but I am thinking it may be because they can slow your metabolism down.

Also one to check, that you are actually not eating way less than you should be , which is a reasonable reaction when you stop losing the weight, then you think you should eat less and less. However it is said that eating too little can be just as bad as eating too much as your body goes into starvation mode and sort of hangs on to the energy in the food.

I know it must be incredibly frustrating. Hope your GP might have some suggestions, possibly a change of meds if it is the antidepressants. I am sure the ones I take don't help in that respect, but they are the only ones that seem to work with me :(

Remember to come back here and let us know how you are doing.
Back to top Go down
cherub72

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-04-19

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyThu 21 Apr 2016, 9:59 am

Hi aussiearies

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

I absolutely get where you are coming from and trust me, I've been down that path due to sheer frustration.  I'm actually a creature of habit and eat pretty much the same thing each day.  The weekends involve a cafe lunch etc but i'm still only eating half of a dish and always protein first.  I'm worried my body just got so used to less food that it needs me to eat even less to lose or maintain which is scary.

To be brutally honest I think I'm eating less than I did a year ago.  Then I had a job with a team of people who were VERY social and we would do a pub lunch at least twice a week. Now I'm grabbing a salad or sashimi and eating it at my desk with no time to think about enjoying a whole hour to eat and chat.  On a Friday those lunches would include a glass of wine which I haven't done for a very long time.  I had that lunch routine for about four years with no issues!!

I've been on anti-depressants for about three years so maybe that is a factor?

I think I need a trip to the GP for a chat and see what else I can do.

Really appreciate your words of wisdom!!

Thank you....
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyWed 20 Apr 2016, 1:57 pm

Cherub

I know that this might be a dumb question as you say you still cannot eat large meals but could it be not so much the amount but what you are eating?

Are you also drinking calories or eating more higher calorie foods? Are you drinking when eating?

Are you grazing too often?

Perhaps a food diary might help you work out if there are reasons for the weight gain. Myfitnesspal might be useful because we think we know how many calories are in things but when you really look at it and record it you might be surprised.

I was surprised to find there is 60 calories in sugarless chewing gum for example.

Getting your thyroid checked as suggested is a good idea but also remember you are 6 years older and as we age our calorie requirements are lower.

I hope you find some help with this but keep posting as we can at least offer suggestions and support.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyWed 20 Apr 2016, 11:50 am

Anytime      :)

Good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
cherub72

Female

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyWed 20 Apr 2016, 9:27 am

Hi krakow57

Thank you!  I wrote this post after not being able to log in with my 'old' account and doing some searching.  I created a new account and logged in and typed my message.

Then, after a bit more reading and exploring I found the Long Term Sleevers section. I think it had something to do with the fact that I wasn't a member when I was looking.

So thank you for taking the time to reply.  Its very much appreciated.

I didn't know about thyroid issues and trauma.  Its certainly worth checking out so thats again for the tip.

xox
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyWed 20 Apr 2016, 12:42 am

Hi cherub7,

There is a section here, under "All about you", called : "Long Term Sleevers".

Sorry, I can't offer any help, as I am only 7 weeks post op.

Sorry to hear about your awful car accident, hope you are at least emotionally feeling bit better.

Certain medications can make people gain weight, without even trying to.

Have you had your Thyroid checked at all, as traumatic events can sometimes set off thyroid disease, and this can induce weight gain also.

Anyway, please check the LONG TERM SLEEVERS here. Hope someone can answer your questions.

Best Wishes,

Margo
Back to top Go down
cherub72

Female

PostSubject: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? EmptyTue 19 Apr 2016, 10:09 am

Hello Sleevers,

I'm 6 years and 3 months post sleeve surgery. I actually can't believe how long its been.  Its certainly been years since I have visited this site and I'm back again for some advice / help.

There used to be a section for 'old timers' but not sure what has happened to it.  I remember reading through it pre and post surgery and enjoying reading what people had to say.

That said - I want to get into the reason I'm here.  I was over 100kg when I started with PCOS, insulin resistance and a one way ticket to diabetes.  With the sleeve and lots of hard work I got down to 62kg's at my lowest.  I've hovered around 64kg's for 5 yeras. 

12 months ago I was in a very traumatic and devastating car accident and since then I've managed to put on 10kg's.  Its been gradual and my scary and very upsetting visit to the scales made me realise what I've been in denial about.  My weight is coming back.

The crazy thing is I still can't eat much.  I eat less than half than anyone else at any given meal time.  I like to run.  I'm active with my kids.

Is the fact that my body is so used to a smaller amount of food, does that mean it wants me to reduce even further to get back to my goal weight?  Have I totally messed with my metabolism that I have to eat like a mouse to lose the 10kg's?  I tried Michelle Bridges, Dukan and Atkins.  I'm not convinced about the pouch test given we don't have a pouch but its my next venture.

What am I doing wrong?  Do I need a revision?  Have I stretched my stomach?  More exercise?

With the extra weight on its left me very demotivated.  Hoping someone here has experienced something similar and may be able to offer some words of wisdom.

Its nice to be back and thank you for reading..... xox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?   5 Years + and Over - Are you still here? Empty

Back to top Go down

5 Years + and Over - Are you still here?
Page 1 of 1