3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ezzareno
Ezzareno

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-06-28

How to get started? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to get started?   How to get started? EmptyMon 29 Jun 2015, 12:31 pm

Thanks Wendy and Nini.

I have booked in for an initial appointment with Dr Michael Hatzifotis (who sounds very popular, and is booked until September), this gives be plenty of time to research.

I hope a sleeve will be a good option for me as I live an active lifestyle I just eat way too much. My mother isn't a fan of the idea (she would prefer that I not have 'unnecessary surgery', but I think a sleeve could be a good option for me) 

I have about 50-60kg to loose.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How to get started?   How to get started? EmptySun 28 Jun 2015, 9:02 am

Hi Ezzareno,

The best place to start is with your GP so you can get their opinion on whether this is the best option for you and to get them to give you a referral to a bariatric surgeon.  

Your GP may have a surgeon in mind but seeming you asked, my top 2 recommendations in Brisbane would be Dr Justin Greenslade (who I went through) and Dr Michael Hatzifotis who are both at Greenslopes but separate, ie; not in practice together.  There are also some good surgeons on the Northside but someone else might be able to recommend them to you as I don't know enough.

The time from first appointment to surgery date varies greatly with different surgeons.  Sometimes you will wait a few months, for others a few weeks, and for others you will be lucky and get a faster one if they have a cancellation etc.  Just try to make sure that if the wait time is short that it's not because the surgeon is not very popular, lol.

General opinions will vary, but I think you will find that most people on this site are pro-sleeve. Having said that, there are people who are unlucky enough to have suffered complications and are justifiably not going to tell you to go for it. There are always risks and you need to weigh them all up.  I personally have had a great start, and at 9 months out am 40kg down and feeling great, with another 18ish kilos to go.  What I am becoming aware of is that there are a few people who are 2 plus years out who are starting to regain weight and my advice is that this sleeve is not a solution that does it all for you - yes, in the early days the weight loss is pretty easy but long term you will still need to watch what you are eating and exercise some self-control.  What the sleeve should do is provide you with a tool that can help you to do this by giving you some restriction on quantity so that you get full quicker.  Eat the wrong foods though and that's not really going to be enough. 

Yes, some people on this site (maybe 2 or possibly 3 that I have heard of) have gone on to have children.  If you explore the site through the menus or by using the search at the top to look up keywords, you should find some info on this.

I suggest you do some Google research to find out things like complication rates, and what those complications can be.  Your surgeon can also tell you about these things.  If you want some inspiration, Google image search "before and after gastric sleeve" (or sleeve gastrectomy).

Best wishes, with your decision,
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How to get started?   How to get started? EmptySun 28 Jun 2015, 8:42 am

Hi Ezzareno,

Welcome to the forum. It's a big decision so the first step is do your research well. I would read peoples diaries, scroll through the replies to pre and post op questions, if you have a question click on the search button at the top of the page and see if others have had the same question, if you can't find an answer just ask. Once you decide the Sleeve is the best option of you, start researching surgeons in your area. I can't stress highly enough that you need a very experienced surgeon who has done hundreds of Sleeve operations. You don't want to be anyone's Guinea pig. If you scroll down the main page you will find a section on Surgeons. Once you find some recommendations, Google their names, see what comes up. Check them out on the https://www.ahpra.gov.au/ site that will list any serious infringements against them. Private Message members on here who have been to them to see what they thought of them. Once you are happy with a surgeon, go to your GP and ask for a referral to him. Most reputable Bariatric surgeons will have an information night that will give you more information. Make sure you ask plenty of questions at your appt with him and feel comfortable with him and your decision.

How long between appt and surgery depends on when you can fit in your Dietitian, Psychologist, investigations etc  as well as how busy your surgeon is and when he has a vacancy on his theater list.

Sorry, cant help you with the children question, as I had already had mine.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Ezzareno
Ezzareno

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-06-28

PostSubject: How to get started?   How to get started? EmptySun 28 Jun 2015, 8:10 am

Hello! I am new to these forums and I was wondering where is the best place to start?

Do I book in to talk to a doctor? If so, any recommendations on doctors? (I'm in Brisbane)

Do I get a referral from a GP?

How long from appointment to surgery?

What is the general opinion the a gastric sleeve? Is it worth it, what is the success rates? what are the likely risks?

Has anyone had a gastric sleeve and then gone on to have children?

Thanks for any information/advice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get started?   How to get started? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get started?
Page 1 of 1