AuthorMessage
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

confused - ketosis Empty
PostSubject: Re: confused - ketosis   confused - ketosis EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 12:13 pm

Pollyanna

My dietician was also against focussing on protein. She said 'eat when you are hungry' and have a good healthy diet, with a mix of foods.

So that is what I am trying to do. Remember we have to live with eating smaller quantities for the rest of our lives so you don't want to be eating things you don't like.

I also count on the multivitamin I take everyday to help.
Back to top Go down

confused - ketosis Empty
PostSubject: Re: confused - ketosis   confused - ketosis EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 11:21 am

Thank you Wendy, it's a massive relief. I just want to live a normal life eating well but small portions and I certainly don't want to eat 70% protein! I'm such a big fan of green things that it seems like a special sort of torture not to enjoy them as much as I can (within the limits of this smaller stomach). The nutritionists at the clinic I go to are lovely but very focused on quite processed foods and I want to have fresh quality ingredients as much as possible. Thank you once again I appreciate your reply.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

confused - ketosis Empty
PostSubject: Re: confused - ketosis   confused - ketosis EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 8:17 am

Hi Pollyanna,

After having 5 dietitian appointments and being 10 weeks post op now myself, my understanding is that ketosis weight loss WAS the aim pre-op only as it was part of the process of shrinking the liver.  However, post-op diet needs to be more balanced and contain foods from all groups.  Ketosis is no longer the aim, the aim is just to have a healthy, reduced calorie intake that will facilitate the weight loss. This is achieved through the restriction of the sleeve.

BTW, my dietitian is anti being protein focused and insists that I need a balanced diet, that includes the equivalent of a palm sized, 1cm thick piece of protein each day along with any protein that happens to be in my other food serves, eg; dairy/legumes. I do trust him as he used to be head dietitian in the diabetes unit at the Mater Hospital in Brisbane.

I hope that helps, but others may have more to add.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down

confused - ketosis Empty
PostSubject: confused - ketosis   confused - ketosis EmptyMon 08 Dec 2014, 2:38 am

Hello

I am really confused, a lot of what I read seems to be aimed at ketosis weight loss i.e. lots of protein very little carbohydrates. But the information from other sources is just a moderate protein, low fat, complex carbohydrate diet. Basically smaller portions of a balanced diet.
My nutritionist's information is filled with the same inconsistencies for instance their is talk of having fruit as snacks and having porridge but ensuring that 70% of all food is protein!

I am currently having a half cup of porridge with some fruit for breakfast or a piece of whole grain toast with avocado
a couple of cruskits with salmon, or tuna or cheese with some tomatoes and salad at lunch
and for dinner a cup of a low fat usually legume based meal (e.g. refried beans, or a chickpea casserole) and I have a 1/2 cup of yoghurt as a snack if I find time.

I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow, and have been really lucky to have had a smooth run but I'm worried that I should be eating differently and have emailed my nutritionist but have had no reply and I don't want to pay another 80 dollars for the same talk so I'd be grateful if anyone here has some insights into their journey and what worked. I am down 15 kg today since my surgery, but I have been stalled or slowed for the past two weeks.

Many thanks:5674:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

confused - ketosis Empty
PostSubject: Re: confused - ketosis   confused - ketosis Empty

Back to top Go down

confused - ketosis
Page 1 of 1