lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Feeling hungry post op first few weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 6:32 am

I told my surgeon I just want too chew something. He just laughed, I do find him funny so laughed right back.
Back to top Go down
Beachesbabe
Beachesbabe

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyThu 04 Sep 2014, 12:47 am

I have also started to feel hungry but am wondering if it isn't the old comfort eating trying to rear it's ugly head. 
I have made some diet jelly and a teaspoon of that is enough to remind me i am not really hungry. Am hoping once i get back to work and normal life things improve.
Back to top Go down
mkymer

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyWed 03 Sep 2014, 10:39 am

How did you go with the dietician??
Back to top Go down
Lucygoose
Lucygoose

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyMon 01 Sep 2014, 9:16 pm

I'm experiencing something similar.  I'm certain that it's mental (for me) because it's only in between drinks and I can't always get through 100ml soup!   H20 is fine that doesn't make a dent in the sensatio.  I'm seeing the dietician today and desperately hoping I get to move onto purée!
Back to top Go down
mkymer

Female

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptySun 24 Aug 2014, 1:24 pm

Hi Tara
I think it is mostly mental but at the same time, I am certainly not feeling any sort of discomfort or full feeling after my protein shakes and fluids. Easily managing the fluid intake amount each day. I am only a couple of days off my meeting with the dietician and the puree phase though so it will be good to talk to her about it. Did you go through something similar?
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 2:40 am

I misinterpreted mild stomach discomfort as hunger initially.  But then I'm down to only 2x1 paracetemol tablets a day.  If I was actually taking the trippy "don't even try to drive anywhere for the next week" pain meds that I was given, that pain might not be there.
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 12:57 am

mkymer wrote:
Hi everyone
Just wondering if anyone else was feeling starving in the first few weeks post op?

Don't worry, I am sticking squarely with the fluid phases and won't do anything to jeopardise the healing but food is all I can think about.
I am completely aware my relationship with food is terrible otherwise I would not have gotten the surgery however I guess I thought I wouldn't be feeling so hungry??
Hiya Mykmer,

Is it a gnawing, starving hunger in the pit of your stomach even after you have eaten ?? (by eaten I mean had your fluids at this stage.)
Is it still there gnawing when you can not be hungry ?

Tara
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyFri 22 Aug 2014, 9:38 am

Just remember to stick to your surgeons/dieticians food plan for you, even though you're still really hungry.  I really hope it gets better for you on purees
 Feeling hungry post op first few weeks 217555
Back to top Go down
mkymer

Female

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyFri 22 Aug 2014, 9:14 am

Thanks DayleD. Glad someone else went through it, I am just getting upset now, I am just so hungry all the time.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 1:18 pm

Arse I predict a positive change in the near future!
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 1:12 pm

I felt like I was still constantly hungry through my post-op liquid phase (2 weeks) also.  I was quite depressed about it, and when I had my 2 week check up the dietician said that some people don't get the reduced hunger feeling and she said I sounded like one of them.  HOWEVER, once I got on purees, that totally changed and I started feeling alot more full.  Not completely full like I hear other people talk about, but still alot better.  I'm 5 weeks out now and still get hungry, I actually get a bit nauseous and that's my stomach telling me it needs something in it, but hunger nevertheless.  I just stick with the amounts I know I'm supposed to eat and my new tum is mostly satisfied with that.

Good luck with it all, purees should be better :)

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
mkymer

Female

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:48 pm

p.s. Very funny on the 2 for 1 whopper day :) I'd give my left leg for a whopper :) It has only been 1 week since my surgery by the way and clearly I haven't mastered being able to ignore the mental hunger
Back to top Go down
mkymer

Female

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:46 pm

I guess it isn't hunger, I'm sure I don't need the food. The protein shakes, soups, liquid, etc. are enough to keep me satisfied through the day, without feeling full at all but from a mental perspective, it is making me a bit miserable. All I want is food, it is all I can think about. I guess I just did not expect to be feeling this way, as I said though, definitely won't break but feeling more like I am on a really strict diet, as opposed to someone who has just had surgery.
It's great to have this forum to turn to I must admit.
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm

My mother is staying with me briefly post-op, and it's tough watching her order drive-thru and bring it home, and keep pecking at it until it's finished (apparently today is 2 for 1 whopper day).

However, that's a mental hunger, not a physical hunger.  I'm figuring out the difference a lot more clearly now.  I can dismiss the former, and I'm yet to seriously feel the latter.  I don't know if that's luck, good management or if it's too soon to tell.

Today I've managed 2x70 gram runny baby food tube yoghurts from Aldi, along with a leftover optifast, half a protein shake (I'll get to the other half), green tea, lemon in water, and I have a bottle of water in my usual bag.  That's not especially nutritious but it's enough to keep me from feeling hungry.
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:27 pm

It's definitely hunger? 

I thought I was feeling that too in the beginning.. turned out I was confusing mild reflux for hunger, which apparently, quite a lot of us do.
Back to top Go down
mkymer

Female

PostSubject: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 12:07 pm

Hi everyone
Just wondering if anyone else was feeling starving in the first few weeks post op?

Don't worry, I am sticking squarely with the fluid phases and won't do anything to jeopardise the healing but food is all I can think about.
I am completely aware my relationship with food is terrible otherwise I would not have gotten the surgery however I guess I thought I wouldn't be feeling so hungry??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeling hungry post op first few weeks   Feeling hungry post op first few weeks Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeling hungry post op first few weeks
Page 1 of 1