4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?    Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   EmptySun 23 Mar 2014, 6:07 am

Oh yeah, the barium swallow drink will definitely cause diarrhea!

I also read somewhere else, that there is a lot of residual blood in the digestive track after the operation and that this can have a laxative effect as well.
Back to top Go down
Anakin64

Male
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?    Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   EmptyThu 20 Mar 2014, 10:10 am

Did you have the aniseed flavoured drink for the swallow test? I had it and although the X-Ray tech didn't say anything about it, the nurse told me that it it causes fairly significant diarrhea. It settled down after a couple of days and haven't had any problems since.  Hope that this helps.
Back to top Go down
Lexiswan
Lexiswan

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?    Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   EmptyThu 20 Mar 2014, 8:28 am

Hi Spazwok,

Sorry to hear about your poopy pants! Have you spoken to your surgeon about it? Don't get dehydrated. It's awful. Ask whether you can have some hydralyte icy poles etc. And make fluids your priority over protein and anything else.

Diarrhea can be a side effect of the sleeve because your digestive track has changed, and especially this close to surgery everything is still inflamed. Your new tiny stomach might be 'dumping' or emptying into your small bowel too quickly which will make you need the toilet several times a day.

BUT, if this keeps going then you might need to get a stool culture done just in case. Your immune system is shot to pieces at the moment from gone through major surgery, and you are probably taking medicine that would supress your stomach acid? Like pariet/somac/nexium....which means if you have picked up a gastro bug then it's going to be more severe then usual. You just don't know what you might catch in hospital.
I was going to the toilet 8-10 times a day. I was getting really depressed about it. In tears in my surgeon's office, and he basically said it was the structural change. I resigned myself to these new toilet habits being part of my new reality, but I felt so sick. I insisted on bloods and a stool culture. And it turns out I have C.Diff (Google, its disgusting). Day 3 on antibiotics and everything is going back to normal.

Hope everything turns out okay!!
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?    Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   EmptyThu 20 Mar 2014, 6:55 am

I was never normal and still aren't.  I am 9 weeks post op and I still have diarrhea more often than not.  I found for me some benefibre in my water has worked a treat.  If you do continue to have it bad make sure you take the advice on here and contact your surgeon. Diarrhea = dehydration and that's something you don't want to deal with....
Back to top Go down
spazzi

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?    Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   EmptyThu 20 Mar 2014, 6:44 am

Hi all

I had my surgery on Tuesday and am feeling as good as can expected. I have gurgling insides and shoulder tip pain which I know is normal. At first I was breaking wind and the pain/gurgling subsided. Since this morning whenever I go to break wind I get more than gas. This morning it surprised me and is soiled my pants. The hospital didn't seem too concerned but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this? 

I expected to be constipated like everything else so this has thrown me off and I just wanted to see if it's normal. I've been probably 5 times today and each time is after I move around a lot and I get a lot of gurgling inside. 

Spazwok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?    Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?   Empty

Back to top Go down

Day 2 post op - got the runs! - normal?
Page 1 of 1