WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 8:25 am

My dietitian explained to me that basically the stomach is so swollen that there is no space running through the stomach (he put his hands flat together like playing to demonstrate). He says that really small sips are required to ensure that it has time to trickle through and drinking too fast can be one of the causes of pain.  Not saying that this is it, but maybe try really tiny sips with a bit of wait time in between to see if you can avoid it this way.  As the swelling goes down, over time, you'll be able to gradually drink bigger sips more frequently.
Back to top Go down
Monjara
Monjara

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2015-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 4:33 am

I'm 11 days post op and I got/have spasms/cramp when I swallow too much at a time.. I had to and still do "drip feed" my liquid through a straw... tiny sips at a time and soups a teaspoon at a time..

BUT like Lunablue said, if your worried about this you need to bring back to your doctors attention and get it checked for your own piece of mind...

I think the surgeons forget that this isn't routine for us...they may do multiple sleeves a day but we've only had it done once and as never being through it before, we don't know what to expect, what is normal... everyone's experience is different...

Hope you recovery is speedy Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal 217555
Back to top Go down
Lunablue
Lunablue

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 3:25 am

Rose, we all know our body better than any surgeon, and this pain does not sound right. Does your head tell you its not right? Go see your GP or call the Surgeons office and tell them how much pain you are in, don't let them fob you off. If its worrying you enough to ask us about it, then please do a dance until its checke3d, if its nothing you have lost nothing, if there is a problem you need to find out. I hope it eases for you soon and you get better answers than you currently are. Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal 217555
Back to top Go down
Rose76

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-02-03

PostSubject: Thanks   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 3:12 am

Thank you
My sx does not routinely do leak tests and seemed non plused about these symptoms
At least I know it will stop...eventually
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 3:03 am

Gosh you poor thing. 

Im assuming the leak test/dye test etc all came back ok? 

After surgery you will get gas pain and it can last a few days, and it is really horrid. All the gas they pump into your tummy to make a balloon space to work in doesnt all get released before they close you up so it will rumble around in there for a few days until it gets absorbed or escapes (yep, fart and burp away!). Getting up and walking about will help it move on.

With drinking, especially this close to your surgery date, you can only sip sip sip tiny amounts constantly. Even painkiller tablets will be enough to cause pain, try a liquid pain killer if youre currently using tablets. Your tummy is sore, swollen and a fraction of the size it used to be, it gets better, but it does take a few weeks for the swelling to go down.

You are brave only taking a week off work, this is major surgery (even though its done via keyhole surgery), and your body needs time to heal from it. If you can take at least another week off. I had a lengthy recovery and returned to work 5 weeks after (this doesnt appear to be the norm, most people take 2 weeks and are ok).

If youre really worried return to hospital or to your surgeon for a checkup.

Take care :)
Back to top Go down
Rose76

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-02-03

PostSubject: Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 1:16 am

Hi
Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this

I was sleeved on moday morning
So this is day 3 really
I have had a really rough few days with pain and nausea but discharged myself last night as I would rather be sad and miserable at home

Apart from the obvious regret I feel
I wanted to know if anyone was still getting gastoc spasms and if so how long did they last?
I have waves of pain that come every few minutes and these are getting a bit better if I take my pain killers
But after I drink anything I get a severe painful spasm lasting only a few seconds but it's excruciating 

I told my surgeon who said sometimes this happens but gave no insight as to when and if it will get better

I  due back at work in 4 days!
Any advice appreciated 
P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal   Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal Empty

Back to top Go down

Severe gastric spasms 4 days post op? Normal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: