AuthorMessage
bintang
Part of the furniture
bintang

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2011-07-23

Swallowing normal medications post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyMon 07 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

I'm only 1 week post op and am having my nexium whole no prob. 2nd day post op nurse told me that I had to take my pain meds by mouth (according to surgeon) so that was it - panadol I broke in half but capsules went down fine. Tablets scare me since 10 years with a band (always getting stuck), but this has been fine!

Good luck
Back to top Go down
SassyMummy
Part of the furniture
SassyMummy

Female
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyMon 07 Nov 2011, 10:41 am

It depends on the size I think.

I was having my oral contraceptive pill days after the op (could have taken it THE DAY of but didn't even think to mention it... totally forgot about it). It's tiny. I was also given a pill a few days post-op for reflux (I didn't have reflux, it was just in case and to protect the staple line)... it was still smaller than a panadol tablet though.

I'm 9 weeks post-op now and can take a full caplet... prior to this I was cutting them in quarters, and then in half.
Back to top Go down
http://randomchickrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyMon 07 Nov 2011, 2:02 am

Some of the meds can be crushed to take them too, if you can't swallow the pills - but you need to check each one, as apparently some aren't suited to crushing.

Everyone's different - I couldn't swallow pills for ages, but that's me, and I had the hiatus hernia repair at the same time, too.
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture
aswan

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptySun 06 Nov 2011, 9:40 pm

Most prescription meds are available in liquid format, but they are usually more expensive than tabs.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptySun 06 Nov 2011, 1:32 pm

They will monitor you, don't worry about it.

I take blood pressure tablets and anti depressants, and for the first few days out of surgery I had neither. They monitored my blood pressure and I assume they gave me what I needed via the drip. I was able to swallow my tablets two days after, it is just the big tablets that can be an issue, and even then.. a week after surgery I was having to swallow big antibiotics and I was fine.

You are in a hospital though, they monitor everything. I didn't even know that my sugar levels were bad, and they monitored that and gave me insulin when I needed it.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 9:36 am

I didn't take mine for a couple of days, doc then gave me the okay to take mine crushed and mixed with a tablespoon of apple sauce (hides the bitter taste). Depends on the type of medication but you may be able to crush and mix with water, juice then drink them or maybe your pills can come in syrup or suspension? Check with your pharmacist, they will let you know if okay to crush or not.
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 6:53 am

i think some ppl struggle but i was fine and took my night tablet a few hours after my op and havent had any issues at all. At the moment i feel like sometimes all i have in my belly is tablets cos i take so many between vitamins and medical ones!
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 5:42 am

no i didnt have any problems, but you could break them up if your worried.

shelly
Back to top Go down
Nicole
Nicole

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 4:17 am

Hi, I was just wondering if people had difficulty swallowing tablets post op. I am on medication morning and night and a bit nervous about being able to swallow my tablets especially the night of the op. I'll ask my surgeon on the day but just wondered if anyone dealt with this issue personally? Swallowing normal medications post op 21984
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swallowing normal medications post op   Swallowing normal medications post op Empty

Back to top Go down

Swallowing normal medications post op
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: