Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???

Go down 
+3
Kiley
BecsMum
boondirock
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bubba80
bubba80

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-07-18

Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013, 10:19 am

Today is my first puree day and I must say I am struggling.  Made a kick ass pea & ham only to have to puree it....what a waste of a good soup...but anyway I noticed it takes longer for it to go down but most probably because of the thickness.  Even a 250ml up & go takes me 1.5hrs to get through and I have only managed to finish 1 of those so far. I think considering I'm only 5 days post op that's probably ok!!
Still getting used to the feeling of not feeling hungry but knowing you have to eat...oppps I mean drink something.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 10:16 am

On 'fat doctor' did they say what size bougie they were using? Here in Australia they use 32 to 38 range. My surgeon uses 38. He told me there is hardly any difference, like the size of a hair, I think.
Back to top Go down
boondirock
boondirock

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Thanks for the advice :)   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 12:47 am

Thank you so much for your advice, I feel a lot better now. Everything that was said makes sense. I see the DR for my post op appointment Monday and will talk to him about it too. 
I guess I got worried because I watched the show on telly 'Fat Doctor' and I've seen the surgeons on there talking about giving patients a bigger sleeve and because I never discussed it with my DR I started thinking he has done that for me. He had told me pre sleeve he was worried I could loose to much weight after the op. (I was like YES!) But I will talk to him Monday anyway. 
Recovery for me has been great really. The first 48hrs I thought I had made the worst decision ever. Would rather die lol but once the thirst, gas pains and heartburn was taken care of it's been fantastic! Now I understand why people say they love their sleeve hahaha
Back to top Go down
Kas
Part of the furniture
Kas

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2012-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013, 10:22 pm

If you are concerned about it, speak to your surgeon, they will ease your mind. 

Having said that ;-) I was able to drink lots early too, I remember my surgeon asking me to time myself drinking one of those little apple juice cups you get in hospital and I could do it in under a minute! Lol. Not a bad thing, I'm 10mths post op and drink about 2.5 - 3 litres of water a day

Like auntyez194 said, if you still have restriction on thick fluids, I would not worry at all, once you start purée you'll notice the restriction even more, just remember that everyone is different, I panicked early on cause I could fit in heaps more than others but I have evened out with them now and it didn't effect my weight loss, I'm 7 kgs under goal and maintaining a size 10!

Good luck, enjoy the ride!

Kas
Back to top Go down
AuntyEz194
Part of the furniture
AuntyEz194

Female
Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2013-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013, 8:25 pm

While I was at the dietician yesterday she said that ppl heal differently and you could be drinking a fair bit week post op... So everyone is different... U r probably just healing faster which is good!!
Back to top Go down
Kiley
Part of the furniture
Kiley

Female
Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013, 1:00 pm

Remember liquid is different to food and will pass through quite quickly, doesn't sit there and have to be digested like food hence you can "fit" more
Back to top Go down
BecsMum
BecsMum

Male
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013, 12:36 pm

I'm 11 days post op and I can also drink quite a bit in a relatively short time frame - I did however try some thicker fluids (thick soup) and that doesn't go in nearly as quickly or as much LOL ;) 

Not sure on "normal" as such though... :)
Back to top Go down
boondirock
boondirock

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? EmptyFri 26 Jul 2013, 10:58 am

Hi there, I'm day 7 post op for the sleeve, and I can drink 250ml liquids within 5 minutes. -just had 250ml prune juice ;) Now I would've thought there would be still a lot of swelling and I also thought that the stomach is reduced to hold a capacity of 200ml once healed.
Does this mean my DR has given me a 'bigger' sleeve?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???   Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Drinking 250ml 7 days post op. Is this normal???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: