9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cutiesx3
Cutiesx3

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-04-13

Coke zero/Pepsi light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptyMon 14 Apr 2014, 1:46 am

I was told if it has carbonation let the carbonation completely dissolve before drinking it! The carbonation isnt good for the sleeve but I guess every doctor is different so Id call your doc and see what they say??
Back to top Go down
spazzi

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 12 Apr 2014, 6:41 am

I am three weeks post op and I asked my surgeon about carbonated drinks the other day. He said the story about them stretching out your sleeve is complete crap. 

He said that he encourages people to drink carbonated water if it's the only water they like. He said here may be some uncomfortableness at first with the gas but once you get used to it you'll be fine.

Obviously it's not great to drink full sugar carbonated drinks and the diet versions are packed with chemicals which isn't ideal.  but as a treat every now and then I reckon it's fine! So does my surgeon. 

I haven't had any yet but more so because I haven't felt like any, but I know I will one day feel like a Pepsi max and I won't deny myself a few sips.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 12 Apr 2014, 5:06 am

I would think that what you miss is the bubbles rather then the taste it was what I missed really.  I am 11 mths out and have only in the last couple of months been able to handle much in the way of  full on bubbles.  I had a mouthful a couple of times earlier but I will say not at only 3mths the full gassed stuff actually causes quite a bit of discomfort.  It should be avoided I think maybe your Dr has said it OK to try because he knows it will just be a try  because it does cause such discomfort. 

So what can you try my suggestion is lightly sparkling mineral water it is what it says lightly sparkling and there is some that has a dash of flavour in it.  I had a nasty incident when shopping in woolies not long after the op maybe eight or so weeks after and i thought i was going to faint.  The cashier who also was the first aid officer got me a bottle of water to have a drink to my horror it was one of these lightly sparkling things.  I did need to drink so I sat down and took tiny weeny sips of it and hey I didn't explode or stretch my stomach but that 500ml bottle took me all day to consume with lots of breaks.  But with the exposure to that product when i decided to start to try some gassed drinks it was the flavoured one of LIGHTLY sparkling mineral water that I tried.  If you want it even less sparkle just pour it into a glass that releases the sparkle and if it goes more flat it doesn't matter it just becomes plain mineral water.  If you are going to try cola then get the tiny cans and definitely decant to a glass to release the fizz but truthfully I would wait another month or so I do believe it will cause pain to early.  If its any consolation I can drink sparkling wine although again I have a very sweet tooth and sparkling moscato is my downfall and it is less fizz then other sparkling wines.

It may seem like all the things you enjoyed are off limits but that is not true in the long term of thing yes in the beginning it is a steep learning curve and some of our favoured things are either not possible or not enjoyed at all or have to be eaten or drank in tiny tiny quantities but eventually our diet does start to expand and become more exciting and fulfilling it becomes the NEW NORMAL and the way to success.

Woolies has no frills lightly sparkling as well as a brand name and IGA sells waterford in 1 dozen 500 mls it is the cheapest that i have found in the smaller bottles best for not going totally flat in the time it takes us to consume it is around $8.99.  You can add some flavour by putting a slice of fruit.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 12 Apr 2014, 4:18 am

I spoke to my surgeon about this he is not fussed if I drink them or not - I guess the question is do I try??

Any comments - I am just sick of water and cordial...

I am now 12 weeks out.
Back to top Go down
Rocloc

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: I drink fizzy drin   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySun 16 Mar 2014, 9:17 am

I am 6 months out and I admit I do have the odd mini can of full strength coke maybe once or twice a week with no side effects, I drink it over at least an hour so it loses some of the bubbles towards the end, I was never told not to drink fizzy by my surgeon, I am seeing him again next week for my 6 month so will ask him. Saw surgeon today, he says there is know reason why you can't drink fizzy drinks, some people get a lot of gas from them, others like me, don't personal choice.
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 15 Mar 2014, 5:21 am

Hi changed, aside from the bubbles/swelling issue, I have watched enough documentaries and researched enough to know that sweetners are not good for obesity. I understand that they cause an influx of insulin in the blood which causes weight gain. Also, the taste receptors on our tongue taste sweetness so the brain prepares for the hit, but when the actual sugar hit does not arrive as these sweetners have zero calories, the brain will continue to crave and seek carbs to cater for it. Personally, all my life I noted thin friends drink full sugar drinks, and the obese had diet.. the math  never did add up, now I know why. Even having cordial, I will have a dash of full sugar cordial in water rather than otherwise sweetened. Other things like phospherous in soft drink leeches calicum from your bones in order to be broken down in your system, and we really need to keep our calcium for the long term.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 15 Mar 2014, 4:48 am

Hi Changed Mind,

Almost every dietitian and surgeon that I have come across strongly recommend not drinking carbonated drinks after being Sleeved.  I was a Pepsi Max addict but have given up completely since being operated on. 
What does your dietitian/surgeon say?

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
swift788
swift788

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 15 Mar 2014, 3:38 am

I am 7 months post op and I still cannot consume fizzy drinks, or wine or anything that has bubbles for that matter. It hurts going down and I feel every little bubble and constantly have to burp just from one tiny mouthful. My dietician and surgeon also said that you can stretch your sleeve back out with this sort of crappy drinks. In my books it is not even worth going there. I haven't had more than a sip of soft drink in 8 months and I don't miss it one bit. It is not worth risking stretching my sleeve back out just for a craving.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptySat 15 Mar 2014, 3:33 am

Can anyone tell me when they started drinking fizzy drinks again and were fine????
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptyThu 13 Mar 2014, 11:44 pm

The information I had from my dietician said to avoid fizzy drinks. I also read, I think on here, that the gassy bubbles can stretch the stomach. I don't think I'd risk it at 2 months out, especially when you've already said in other posts you've had a lot of nausea & haven't felt good.i definitely wouldn't go back to a can a day. Maybe ring your surgeon's office & ask their advice if you feel unsure.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female

PostSubject: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light EmptyThu 13 Mar 2014, 11:12 pm

Hi all,
I am really missing having coke zero/Pepsi light, I only used to consume perhaps 1 can a day can anyone tell me if it's okay to sip - I am 2 months post op and would really love to have some - it just doesn't taste good flat!!!!  I am just scared if I try without asking I may regret it (upset belly)....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coke zero/Pepsi light   Coke zero/Pepsi light Empty

Back to top Go down

Coke zero/Pepsi light
Page 1 of 1