OnTheWay
OnTheWay

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyFri 04 Jul 2008, 3:49 am

First topic message reminder :

I was just wondering after reading everyone's stories - is there a standard size sleeve.

I read people saying that they can eat a piece of toast etc and I can't fathom fitting that in my tiny tummy.

Do we all have the same size sleeve do you think or will I be able to fit more in down the track???
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Shanna
Sponsor

Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Ladies- need some advice here- please weigh in   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 2:24 pm

Doctor shot me back an email saying a 32 or 34 was too small- What do you think I should do? It would be a real problem to have to go to another doctor- need Mount Sinai facility in case my heart goes loopy. Should I try to insist? Also my post diet is 2 days of clear liquids and then 1 month of pureed. Applesauce- where is the advice your doctor gave you on post diet- maybe I will try to stick to your guidelines- can you send direct me back to your post?
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 3:36 am

ROFL asnew! Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 842349
Yes, the internet is great - this site and a couple of other groups I'm on has provided me with a great amount of support, lots of information, some new friends, and some entertainment as well.
I haven't emailed my doc, but glad that yours was so responsive - must have got him as he sat there!
I have no idea what size my sleeve is, either. Nor do I care - I can eat about the same as the others, depending on what it is. If it's a sloppy puree, I can fit more in than if it's a thicker puree. And I do get hungry, but not usually starving (yesterday was an exception to the rule). But like the others, I have my little tiny dinner, taking twice as long as my hubby takes to eat his much bigger dinner, and my baby tummy is happy.
And thinking about this made me think about overnight - you'd think that we'd get hungry overnight, since we eat so little, but it just doesn't happen.
I LOVE MY NEW BABY TUMMY!
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 3:30 am

No I'm not hungry at all. In fact I have to force myself to eat.

steph
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: OK all, now I am really embarrassed   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 3:03 am

Talk about those pushy Americans

First I have the nerve to email my doctor at 9 P< at night asking what size bougie he is going to use and admitting that I wouldn't know what size to ask for anyway. He emails me back in less than 3 minutes with a size 36, then I go on obesity help and it tells me that a 32 is best so I bother the poor guy again- now it is 10PM- with an email asking for a size 32 because I really want to be thin telling him that the less weight my heart has to deal with the better...but if I was being 100% truthful it is because...........................

I want to be THINNNNNNN

Oh lord- I feel like a pushy creep.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 2:14 am

yep i do get hungry...but that amount soon fills me up. It is amazing to sit down with your family for a meal with a tiny bit of food, take longer to eat than what they do and feel like a stuffed pig when you get up....lol
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Ssteph- How are you doing hungerwise.   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 2:10 am

The most important thing is are you hungry?
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 2:08 am

nor me steph.....just know that i fit in about the same as bee....100-150ml at a time
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 2:06 am

Hi asnewme,

I wouldn't have a clue what size mine is.

steph
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Applesauce, oh applesauce   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 2:05 am

You have just got to love the internet- not only have I "met" all you people, but I can ask my surgeon a question at 9 PM on a Sunday and have an answer sitting in my email box by 9:03 PM

He said the sleeve size that he uses is a 36- small but not too small- so what do you think everybody- is that good or will I need to have one of you come over here and make it smaller.

Write back soon- will start sterilizing the kitchen knives for bigbugger or Chris.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Applesauce - I found it   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 1:34 am

Plugged sleeve sizes into the search engine and found it- now I am off to email my doctor about size of my to be sleeve. Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Bee
Bee

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 8:22 am

I cant really fit more than 100-150mls into my stomach, once i reach that I cant fit in anymore!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 8:04 am

I saw that one, too, and that's where I got the recipe for coddled eggs!
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 5:54 am

saw this by Dale on awls the other night. it is a diet designed to shrink back your pouch. she says it works. It looks harmless enough. I think it is designed for RNY patients but she is a sleever. Any way take a peak :)

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

Days One & Two: Liquid Protein
low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein
canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein
ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein
white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game
Read more

do go and read the site if you want to try it :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Jul 2008, 8:05 pm

Oh, that's interesting, applesauce. Kind of makes sense, too.
Steph, I didn't have Opti until about half way through the second week - or maybe more towards the end of it.
I went back to clear fluids after the blockage in the hospital, so stayed on that for a few more days. Then I went to full fluids, but didn't use Opti until I was on purees, a few days after that.
Then, when I did, I was surprised to find that I could drink one over about 20 minutes, especially as applesauce and sue had said they couldn't. Maybe my poor, littler, body was just starved for goodness! LOL
I was still only having about 75g of puree at the time, so it sounds like I am more like the bad apple.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Jul 2008, 12:25 pm

I could only drink half and optifast in the first 6 weeks, I even find a full one now to much. they are just so filling. Yet the male of the species had no problems downing the full optifast week 2 over 20 minutes. He still can not eat as much as me but liquids work straight though him. His volume of food would be about 200ml mine closer to 250ml. so going over in liquids did not stretch his stomach. Tho my surgeon keeps his patients on clear liquids 1 full week and then nourising liquids another full week so as not to tempt people to stretch their stomachas at all. He belives that those first 6 weeks make all the difference in what size you end up with.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Jul 2008, 10:22 am

Hi Chris,

Did you struggle with 200ml of the Optifast in the beginning? I'm lucky if I can get through half of it.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Jul 2008, 10:14 am

I haven't been given any guidelines at all about that, but my meals are usually around 150ml - except for the Optifast, which is 200ml and I drink over about 20 mins.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Jul 2008, 8:19 am

For the first 6 to 8 weeks, I only had up to 200mls. thats it.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Jul 2008, 6:32 am

Hayley were you told to limit your intake to 100-120ml for the first 6 weeks or more depending on how you feel? My dr and dietician said that if you dont do that early on your stomach can stretch straight away andyou will be able to fit more in later

Just a thought.........like i think chris said she can fit in a whole optifast by drinking it slowly....but i have been told to only have half then 2 hours later have the other half.......as i have said many times i guess we just have to follow what they tell us :scratch:

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Jul 2008, 7:34 pm

Hayley you should of seen your Dr at about 6weeks post op.
And as for my starving feeling I don't get like that well take yesterday for instance. Breaky I had a 1/2 slice of toast and a bantam egg , lunch we went to a smorksboard :lol!: Mother-in-laws shout and she don't know . so I had very small entree size garlic chicken but did have a small glass of wine with it :lol!: there for just 1 hr s I could finish my wne finished about 12.30.went shopping then on way home about 4.30 I was starving and just had to eat, hubby was stil full from his stuffing at lunch and mother-in-law was still anoyed I didn't eat more for the money :lol!: I did say I just wanted to have a wine and I would of had a couple of spoons off hubby's plate.oh well that happens.
Hayley you may need to have an endoscope to see whats going on in there, Hopefuly for me I will be able to get mine fixed soon ,will know more next week.I will let you know
Did your Dr say how much he took out? did you ask? Ring his rooms for an appointment today.please we all do worry about each other so just put our minds at rest
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Jul 2008, 5:56 pm

Thanks Vhappy!!

Its amazing that I am eating so much then. No wonder I am feeling like I am still battling.
and no wonder I am not losing weight faster. I can drink coffee all day long, never get full. I can have an entree sized plate of food, then have hunger pains 2 hours later. In fact I deliberatly timed it today, and Addam checked his watch too, and sure enough without fail, 2 hours, the hunger starts again.
And there is no way in all heck I am going under the knife again.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
vhappy

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Jul 2008, 3:20 pm

Hi Hayley,

When I first got my Sleeve done the Dr told me I would only be able to fit in about about 20 ml and that it would eventually get soft and I would be able to fit more in. I can comfortably drink a cup of coffee and feel full for at least an hour if not two. Thats actually what I have instead of a snack in between meals as it fills me up, I too am blown away you can fit in approx 400 ml with no problems,(pls don't take that the wrong way) I still can only get just over a cup in comfortably, and I have only chucked once in the whole 12 months and that was only because i was stupid and didn't follow drs instructions of never eat and drink at the same time. I was so used to drinking with my meals before the Op that I actually forgot about it and was so thursty I had a half a glass of water straight after a meal and the water came straight back up about a minute later, i have never done that again. But I do drink a lot of water in between meals and am a little naughty with the coffee as I have about 3 a day I can't go without my coffee. Please go get checked again, as I said I am 12 months on and still no way fit that much in, but in saying that it depends on what the food is that I am eating on how much I can eat, meat is very heavy for me and I can only have a peace the size of about 3 fingers, salad on the other hand I can fit a full bread plate no worries! and some times even go back for seconds. I hope you get to the bottom of it, but like you said at least you are still losing weight well done!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Jul 2008, 1:27 pm

Hey,

yes I have thought about this 'head hunger' thing really hard, and no, I dont feel it is.
When I have head hunger, its usually when I think of something semi sweet-ish, but no hunger pain, and I can quickly say to myself, nope, I dont need it.
But when its my 2 hourly hunger, its severe hunger pain. For instance, I had a lovely lunch today, it was filling and sustaining. Vegies and rice, which I dont usually do for lunch but I did today. Then 2 hours later, my stomach was cramping with hunger so much I was sorta like grabbing it because it was annoying me... so its not like debilitating agonising pain, its hunger pangs, but they are so severe, the only way to stop them is to eat something. And this, is what my parents noticed about me since the day I was born.
Yes, great idea Apple, I think I need to go see someone, its just rediculous now. I really thought that the hunger would go away, and by god I tried to ignore it, and try to 'will' it away. You've seen how much I can fit in Apple, and I never stuggle to fit it in, I dont push myself, ever! I cant believe this is happening to me.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Jul 2008, 10:51 am

Hayley I would want to know why you can fit in so much and why you are hungry. Even if you had to see the surgeon in his private rooms to get the answers it would be worth it.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Jul 2008, 10:24 am

Oh poor Hayley, though you did make me laugh.

Are you sure it's not just head hunger that you have?

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 EmptyThu 10 Jul 2008, 9:16 am

LoL at cheesy.

Yes hungry just an hour after opti fast is odd, but at the same time, optifast is not in any way a sustainable meal.
You need your tummy digesting and working on propper food. Opti fast is ok for a little while, but its not going to sustain for long as its not enough to keep your tummy busy for long.
Wacking a banana into it will probably help, its a little more solid so it will give your tummy something to play with.
I am not continuously thinking of food, dont anyone misread me here, I am not focussed on food. But when my tummy is hungry every 2 hours or so, I am forever trying to work out how I can get it to shut up for longer than 2 hours. I dont want to be in the kitchen anymore, I'm tired of it and so are my fridge and cupboard doors!! LOL.
I would love to be the one who has to be reminded to eat. There are so many other sleevers who say that, and I really thought I would be one of them, but sadly I am not, and I can tell ya, it gets me so down.
Apart from the fact that I am eating less, I still feel like I am just the same as before. I was really hoping to not fight the hunger for the rest of my life, but I feel as though I am cursed to have these horrid hunger pains for the rest of my life. After I die, I will probably still be hungry. LOL.
I realise I am having a whinge here, but I guess I never really go into how much its really bothering me.
I dont realise that its such a problem until I read about people like Apple, and TheBad Apple, and others... they dont feel that hungry, and then I think, well what the heck is wrong with me!!
I actually dont feel as if I am addicted to food, there is more clarity now for me, and I am realising that I am not thinking about food, until my tummy starts hurting again. LOL, yes, every two hours...
Someone please come to my house, I've got some great kitchen utensils, you can cut me open, and make me a proper tiny stomach. Like one where only a pea would fit. YES!! Thats it, I dont know why no one has thought of it before!!
At-home-surgery, I will have the vodka on standby, I also have some pain killers left over... I think it could really work a treat!!! Who is going to volunteer..? Fadding, You can do me, then I will do your surgery for you...
Great deal I think...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve Sizes   Sleeve Sizes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeve Sizes
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next